Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How does a Ford Festiva compare to the Metro?
Topic Started: Jan 25 2012, 07:24 PM (20,306 Views)
outlander
[ *  * ]
How does a ford festiva (5speed) compare to a metro?

Is it significantly less economical?

Are parts harder to locate?

Is it a better car?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

allmountain40
Member Avatar

I don't know the mileage, but I judge how good a car is by how many are left on the road. To put it in perspective, I see an average of 10 plus metros every day, but I can't remember the last time I saw a festiva. That speaks volumes about is it a better car or not. if a car is good, people continue to fix them and keep them on the road long after they cease production ( metro) If it is junk after 10 years, they become few in number, after 20 they are considered rare. Sighting a festiva is a rare occurrence, so that should answer your question.

Horn

I see festivas rarely. I think the metros look better. The metros get better mpg due to the festiva not coming with 3 cyl iirc. it would be harder to find parts for the festiva. Idk if they have frame rust like the geos.

Really aside from the frame rust there are very few cars that get the same mpgs, reliability, solid engine, and easy to find parts....at a geo price.

I have no idea how good the festiva engines are. Also in my area the few people that sell them want more than the average geo runs...

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mjspiess
Member Avatar

Only made 5 years. The following are all 1.3 5 speed mpg numbers. I didn't bother with the automatics.

1989: 39/43/41
1990: 35/41/38
1991: 35/42/38
1992: 35/41/38
1993: 35/42/38

I had a guy with a '93 Festiva buy some coroplast from me to make some aeromods and he said his best tank ever was 48 mpg with a target speed of 45 mph. His goal is 50 mph/50 mpg. I haven't heard back from him yet.

Turbo Dan-O
Member Avatar
Obsessive Car Detailer

I LOVE Festievas! I have two friends looking for them now but they are hard to find for sure...

Horn

Turbo Dan-O
Jan 25 2012, 09:23 PM
I LOVE Festievas! I have two friends looking for them now but they are hard to find for sure...
What you love about them?....being hard to find is a downfall imo for a 20 yr old car that will need some upkeep.
Edited by Horn, Jan 25 2012, 09:31 PM.

Turbo Dan-O
Member Avatar
Obsessive Car Detailer

They are sexy as hell!!! I love the way they look!

Horn

Oh man....i completely disagree with. I think the metros are way better lookin

HelterSkelter
Member Avatar
#1 Pizza Driver

outlander
Jan 25 2012, 07:24 PM
How does a ford festiva (5speed) compare to a metro?

Is it significantly less economical?

Are parts harder to locate?

Is it a better car?

i knew a guy who had one in very nice condition, he got 39 mpgs city and 39 highway, those are real world numbers, that's what the car actually gets.i don't know what year/model he had but i'm pretty sure they would all get about the same. the way there were designed they got about the same city and highway. the guy was well over 6 feet tall too so i'm going to assume they are as roomy as the geo.

that's how it compares :}
Edited by HelterSkelter, Jan 25 2012, 11:32 PM.

Scoobs
Member Avatar
:D

today i seen 4 on the road, 2 off the road, and 1 parts car :D

allmountain40
Member Avatar

Thats more than I've seen in the last 5 years. Bottom line if a car is good, people will continue to spend money on them to keep them on the road. This is not the case with the festiva.

Cobrajet25
Member Avatar

allmountain40
Jan 25 2012, 11:55 PM
Thats more than I've seen in the last 5 years. Bottom line if a car is good, people will continue to spend money on them to keep them on the road. This is not the case with the festiva.
The problem with Festivas is....parts support. Ford and other aftermarket manufacturers simply don't support them anymore. These cars were only meant to go about 7-8 years, and after Ford discontinued them in '93 they only made parts until about 2000. Sure you can get the tune-up stuff, but things like motor mounts, halfshafts, etc, just aren't out there anymore. From Ford or from anyone. And what you can find tends to be EXPENSIVE because if it's made at all it's made in small quantities. Would you pay $235 for a motor mount for your $1200 Festiva? Because if you have a Festiva with an auto trans, that's how much they cost.

The cars don't really rust any more than their Geo competitors.

Like Metros, they are quite roomy inside for their size.

They are great little cars, but tend to fall apart around their engines and transmissions. The engines and trannies are built by Mazda, and they are really good. Very dependable. A Festiva is just a Korean-built Mazda 121, a car which Mazda never sent here. Get inside one and it just SCREAMS 1980's Mazda, because that's what it is.

I had a buddy who bought one with 300k on it and it still ran. I had another buddy who drove abused the hell out of one for YEARS with little trouble.

You guys think early Metros have problems with window regulators? Try a Festiva.

Yes, I have lots of experience with Festivas. If you can find a minty Festiva, GO FOR IT.

"Ask the man who (used to) drive one!"
Edited by Cobrajet25, Jan 26 2012, 12:36 AM.

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

I'd have to do a rotary swap if i had one...

Cobrajet25
Member Avatar

Coche Blanco
Jan 26 2012, 01:00 AM
I'd have to do a rotary swap if i had one...
Don't know about a rotary, but a DOHC 1.6 Miata engine bolts right in. :drivin

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

allmountain40
Jan 25 2012, 11:55 PM
There you are wrong, the car actually has quite a following as does its later brethren the Aspire.

That you don't see them doesn't mean they don't exist or that they aren't around nor that they are not loved by their owners, and the surviors very rarely come up for sale since the people that *do* own them are loathe to let them go.

Cobrajet25 gave a pretty complete answer, the car was a collaboration effort ordered by Ford, the drive train made by Mazda and the assembly done by Kia (the Aspire body was the Kia Avella). Festivas were the equivalent of the Sprint era cars, Aspires were roughly the 95+ Metros competitors.

Festivas are considered (in their culture) to have more personality and character, Aspires are more refined. Both cars average around 40 mpg in stock trim. Both cars have less availability than Metros due to less years/numbers/models being made, so parts will be a factor as was mentioned, however they share parts with other Mazda platform cars so some of that is offset.

Festivas are comparable for space to Metros of the same period, Aspires (my opinion) are slightly roomier/larger, not a lot of difference, both have 4 cyl engines and 4.10 gearing with little in the way of options to bolt in, where as Metros come with more variety to swap out to due to a wider range of models. This can be offset to some degree by either changing to a different platforms transmission or changing tire diameters.

If you want to know more about Festivas or Aspires, there are active forums for both, just add .com to the names or do a search, they aren't hard to find. Hope that helps.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Geo Metro Lounge · Next Topic »
Add Reply