Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Cv Axle Rebuild/Reboot; How to rebuild, and or re-boot your cv axles
Topic Started: Feb 14 2012, 05:36 PM (7,786 Views)
Scoobs
Member Avatar
:D

Ok, so i dont know how many of us metro drivers actually prefer to do things yourself, but i decided id rather save myself some money over buying rebuilt cv axles and do it yourselves. So i spent the afternoon today making this how to its generally the exact same procedure to just replace the boot, since you have to pull all the old grease out anyway to repack them with new grease.

First step to this process is to get your old boot moved up the shaft to expose the inners of the cv axle, wipe out the excess grease with paper towels, your going to use a bunch of them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Step 2 after you wipe the excess grease off, put your axle into a vise, and angle the knuckle to where you can get a solid whack on the inner race.

Posted Image

Step 3 Give it a good whack, it may not come loose easily, but hit it hard enough and it will compress the snap ring and pop off.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 4 Take the snap ring off, chances are its no good, or you can compress it back with pliars and stick it back on.

Posted Image

Step 5 separate the Steel ball bearings, the bearing cage, and the race. and clean them up good.

Posted Image

To separate the bearings you need to turn it till the bearings will come up to the top, one at a time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once all 6 ball bearings are out, you can turn the race inside the cage sideways and it will rotate up and out.

Posted Image

Step 6 Clean all the parts, Axle knuckle, race, ball bearings.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 7, Get your new package of grease, can either be tube, or packet like i have, and put some grease onto the inside of the outer knuckle Dose not need to be filled, just enough to coat the inside.

Posted Image

Posted Image

*NOTE* i did not put grease in at this time so i can show easier how to re assemble, you will be getting grease on your hands at this point.

Step 8, Insert the bearing race inside the cage by putting it in sideways and fiddle with it till it pops into place.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 9, Insert the cage assembly into the outer knuckle sideways, and rotate it at the same time as you push in, it should pop in.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 10, Turn the assembly so you can reinsert each ball bearing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 11, once you have 3 in, you can flip the insides and get to the other 3.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 12, Apply more grease, be liberal with it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 13, put your C clip back on your axle.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 14, Reinstall your cv boot or boots if your replacing the inner boot also.

Posted Image

Step 15, set your outer knuckle onto the axle splines and tap in with a hammer, I have a video to upload to show the ease of it, Ill post it below this text when its uploaded.

Posted Image

Step 16, Put the rest of your packet of grease into your cv boot, and slide it back onto your knuckle, and put back on the Band clamps, and your done.

Posted Image

Hope everyone enjoys this how to, if you need me to add or edit anything just send me a pm instead of making a stupid troll post :p

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320475799350?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1631wt_1037
Edited by Scoobs, Apr 1 2012, 02:05 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tomi14robie
[ *  *  * ]
A very good post,i need to fit a new boot on one of my axle shafts so i find this post and vid very usefull
tom

Deleted User
Deleted User

I never knew those stupid things came apart. Thanks, Scoobs! :thumb
Quote Post Goto Top

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Fear the Mullet

Great "How To"

Posted Image

Greatlittlecar
[ *  * ]
Really cool to see how it all goes together -- nowhere near ready to try something like this myself yet, but still nice to see the mechanism!

Scoobs
Member Avatar

Greatlittlecar
Feb 14 2012, 11:33 PM
Really cool to see how it all goes together -- nowhere near ready to try something like this myself yet, but still nice to see the mechanism!
its soo easy to do, you should get a dead axle and just try it, if anyone has a junky axle they should try it, if its no good to begin with, its the perfect thing to try it on, if you break it, it wont matter.

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

One of the better how-to posts I have seen, very well done :thumb

starscream5000
Member Avatar
Got 70 MPG?

:thumb

Scoobs
Member Avatar

Ok My new axle ends came in today Wooh shiny parts, Made in china, but hell for roughly 20-25 bucks per side to rebuild them, shit its worth it to me to atleast try it out, i bough 3 pairs of them so i can rebuild all my dead axles in the shop, heres the images of the outer knuckles, and the part numbers of the axle ends and boot.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Scoobs, Mar 16 2012, 06:44 AM.

Scoobs
Member Avatar

Bump, for Mr.Bill to see

Memphis metro

Those are some sexy gloves. The cv axle rebuild aint bad either.

Scoobs
Member Avatar

Updated Step 2 since i had a few private messages about people not being able to get the outer knuckles off. Now i did come across one of my dead axles it took a significant amount of effort to remove it, since it was OEM and has a different Circlip design, took breaking the housing off and heating it up to get it to pop loose, but out of the 6 axles i removed and rebuilt today, i only had one that was that tough, since it was OEM off the 83k mile geo i parted

normalicy
[ *  * ]
Excellent info, hope to try this the next time I hear mine going out.

arollinstone
Member Avatar
On a Mission from God

Scoobs Where did you get the parts? I thought the kits were avalible at Advance Auto Parts but at the store they said I must've seen them somewhere else. Now thats it's too late
( I bought rebuilt ones ) I'd still like to know who carries the kits.

geo-miami
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
wow good job..I just bought a pair of cv axle to fix my old ones :smackface but since I've seem this very good post I will try it to do myself with my dead axle and see what happen.thk u Mr.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Guides/How to · Next Topic »
Add Reply