Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
'91 Metro Speedometer Broken?; Ever since I replaced my engine block my speedometer stopped working.
Topic Started: Mar 1 2012, 02:39 AM (971 Views)
Geoff
[ *  * ]
I have a 1991 5-speed manual Geo Metro and my speedometer stopped working after I replaced my engine block. I heard it could be either the speed sensor on the end of the cable in the tranny, the cable itself, or the speedometer (head?) broken. I did an experiment where I took out the gauge cluster and drove enough to see the end of the cable spin in the dash area so I ruled out the cable, BUT when I went to reinstall the cluster it looked like the cable was too short to fit inside the cluster end to even work??

3/25/12
I got the speedometer working...for about ten miles. The needle was jumpy and it seemed pretty accurate, but it quit on me again. :hmm
Edited by Geoff, Mar 25 2012, 04:44 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jittney
Anchorage 92 XFi

There are longer cables (like an inch longer)....as people who have changed clusters have found out.
Did you change yours?
Added a tach, perhaps?
Here's a thread on changing the cable.
Perhaps it will give you an 'aha' moment.
http://geometroforum.com/topic/4578579/1/#new

Geoff
[ *  * ]
No new clusters or cables - I only swapped out the engine block. I just don't get why it wouldn't work all a sudden.

Old Man

Geoff
Mar 1 2012, 02:39 AM
when I went to reinstall the cluster it looked like the cable was too short to fit inside the cluster end to even work??

When you say "cable was too short" are you refering to the cable, the cable
housing or both.----does your cable housing reach but the cable does not stick
out of it enough to engage the speedo??

dover
Member Avatar

and it worked before? If you only changed the block there should be no reason it's not reaching now.

I'm not an expert, but I recently replaced my speedometer, if time allows I could put in my 2 cents for you

91 ragtop
Member Avatar

You should unhook the cable from the tranny first so you have some slack in it. Then push the grommet through the firewall. This will give you the extra room needed to get the cable snapped into the back of the cluster and reinstalled into the dash. Then pull the slack back towards the tranny end and hook the cable back up.

Ken......
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Geoff
[ *  * ]
Old Man
Mar 9 2012, 01:06 PM
When you say "cable was too short" are you refering to the cable, the cable
housing or both.----does your cable housing reach but the cable does not stick
out of it enough to engage the speedo??
Yep. Mostly the housing reaches more than the cable, but still not enough.

Geoff
[ *  * ]
91 ragtop
Mar 9 2012, 03:38 PM
You should unhook the cable from the tranny first so you have some slack in it. Then push the grommet through the firewall. This will give you the extra room needed to get the cable snapped into the back of the cluster and reinstalled into the dash. Then pull the slack back towards the tranny end and hook the cable back up.

Ken......
Ah, ok. Gonna give it a shot. Thanks for the tips guys.

Geoff
[ *  * ]
I got the speedometer working, but the needle was jumpy. It worked for about ten miles then quit on me again.

96Geoman

Geoff
Mar 25 2012, 03:41 PM
I got the speedometer working, but the needle was jumpy. It worked for about ten miles then quit on me again.
Make sure the speedo cable is lubricated. If that doesn't help, check the condition of the plastic drive gear in the transmission that connects to the speedo cable.
Edited by 96Geoman, Mar 25 2012, 05:42 PM.

Geoff
[ *  * ]
Do I just lube the part that fits in the trans or is there more?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply