Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
? about stainless steel exhaust valves
Topic Started: Mar 16 2012, 06:23 PM (984 Views)
solerpower

If I'm switching to stainless steel valve guides on my G10 what is the truth about switching to bronze manganese valve guides, do I need to do this for longevity purposes? Any data or first hand experience to support this? Thanks
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ron.wilson09
[ *  * ]
If you have a hundred thousand miles on it an it doesn't show much valve guide wear then I wouldn't worry about the guides that much.

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

I have used stainless steel valves and standard valves. It all depends on how you tune and maintain your car to prevent burnt exhaust valves. Correct timing, regular maint, and a little love will go a long way. I prefer the stainless because of that extra prevention on my daily driver.

3tech
Member Avatar

You don't need to do it, but they do wear better than the stock cast iron guides. The stock guides are small for the application and are prone to wear. As far as the valve material, it has no effect on the guide choice.

Mr Murf 59
Member Avatar

I get my guides from 3Tech when they are needed.

solerpower

Thanks for the information. I went with the bronze manganese valve guides for the the exhaust matched with stainless steel exhaust valves. All from 3-Tech. Went with what ever Parts Dinosaur has for the intake valves, and there valve guides for the intake. I was already doing a order for other stuff at Parts Dinosaur, but the price difference was only $20 for the exhaust components at 3 Tech. My intake valves and seats looked fine but for $18 dollars I'll start new. The exhaust seats looked ok, but the exhaust valves were questionable.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply