Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SMCC Economy Run - Montreal 6/9/12; Fuel Mileage rally
Topic Started: Mar 31 2012, 11:26 PM (6,414 Views)
blownb310
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Posted Image

Click on the flyer for full event info.

Saturday, June 9th, 2012.

A fuel economy rally on fun to drive roads. The goal is to stay on time while minimising fuel consumption. There will be several elapsed time controls at which you may arrive early without penalty. Controls may only be located at the end of a section (EOS). Penalties will be accorded based on fuel consumption and lateness. There will equally be penalties for leaving a control before the given out-time. No previous experience is required to participate. 100% asphalt. Any car can complete the event without problems. The route is identical to 2010 allowing comparisons with previous results.

Posted Image

Distance : 198km

Classes : Gasoline, Diesel & Hybrid(e)

FIA affiliated rally club members : $30
Otherwise : $40

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm planning on competing in my white '97 Metro at this event. Hope to see a few you there!

Mike

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

Hmmm 15 hours driving and 20 gallons of gasoline so about $150 to attend hurts a little. not sure if I can make that one but its close enough to make me "think" about it. I assume we now need a passport to get to canada from the US any longer?
Edited by nerys, Apr 1 2012, 11:00 AM.

blownb310
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
nerys
Apr 1 2012, 10:55 AM
Hmmm 15 hours driving and 20 gallons of gasoline so about $150 to attend hurts a little. not sure if I can make that one but its close enough to make me "think" about it. I assume we now need a passport to get to canada from the US any longer?
Yes that is correct. I plan to run with my '97 Metro. It's my first Metro. I've been a Nissan/Datsun guy my whole life.

This is a great event and the odds are against me for winning a third straight year, but you never know!

Mike

blownb310
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I told myself not to buy any more cars that are rusted out. It's just not worth the effort to fix them. That was the plan...... until the phone rang. It was a friend letting me know of a 3 cylinder '97 Metro for sale and with this Economy Run event coming up, I could not resist the opportunity to own one of these. The prior owner kindly left a note in the car listing all of the problems that needed attention. At the end of the note he said that they called the car "Fred".

Posted Image

Posted Image

I brought Fred home and put him in the air to take a look. OMG, what was I thinking? :p

Posted Image

I came very close to taking Fred to the scrap yard several times, but because it ran perfectly, had a full new exhaust system and brakes all around, I started sorting it out one problem at a time.

Posted Image

The rust extended beyond the rocker panel and into the floor board as well. I had to lift up the carpet and wiring harnes inside to keep from melting them while welding.

Posted Image

So I got to work with cutting out and shaping new rocker/floor patch panels.

Posted Image

I didn't have a piece of sheet metal 36" long so I had to make it a two piece repair panel.

Posted Image

Ready to grind down and smooth out for paint.

Posted Image

Underside of floorboard.

Posted Image

The fuel tank also leaked when it was filled up. Neglecting this repair was not an option because of the top ups used to check how much fuel was used at Economy Run events. Used ones were simply not available from yards around here. So I ordered a new tank for $256 [which more than doubled my investment in this car.]

I also scrubbed out the filthy interior, replaced some bad rear wheel bearings, replaced the missing audio system, unseized the tight shifter bushing, repaired the blower fan switch, and repainted the used green hood to white. It's not quite ready yet but I'm getting there.

Posted Image

The new fuel tank is in, and my '97 Metro is nearing completion for next weekend's SMCC Economy Run in Montreal.

Edited by blownb310, May 26 2012, 09:12 PM.

clarkdw

Looks like a real blast. I wish it were feasible for me to make the trip from London, ON.

If you have time, add a deep front airdam and ditch the passengers mirror. My 94 is at 3.77 L/100 tank average with those and a few other mods. At 70+mph highway speed it is at 4.00 L/100 tank avg.

The 97 is a bit heavier but should still kick some butt.

Good luck but mostly enjoy! :thumb

blownb310
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
clarkdw
May 26 2012, 09:22 PM
Looks like a real blast. I wish it were feasible for me to make the trip from London, ON.

If you have time, add a deep front airdam and ditch the passengers mirror. My 94 is at 3.77 L/100 tank average with those and a few other mods. At 70+mph highway speed it is at 4.00 L/100 tank avg.

The 97 is a bit heavier but should still kick some butt.

Good luck but mostly enjoy! :thumb
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have in fact deleted my passenger side mirror and fabricated a blank off plate. I'm not sure if I will have the time to add an air dam because I have been rehabilitating the car. Updates from this week:

Here's what my frame horns looked like before I peeled back the undercoating.

Posted Image

...and after a bit more poking.....

Posted Image

Posted Image
This is a view from the back side of that same frame horn. Look how little metal was left supporting the lower control arm!

Posted Image
Patterns were cut from card stock [cereal boxes] and transferred to new steel.

Posted Image
After lots of grinding and no less than 6 hand cut pieces of steel were fitted and welded in.

Posted Image
Just before smoothing and priming.

Today I'm sanding bondo and might possibly have time to buff out what's left of the white paint.

bogs
Member Avatar
Duct tape heals all wounds

WOW there was nothing left !

blownb310
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
bogs
Jun 3 2012, 10:38 AM
Yeah I wish I was spending my time ecomodding the car, but I was worried about the front suspension collapsing on the rougher sections of the rally, and I rather think it would have! I don't feel like taking the train home.

Competition in the gas class will be very tough this year. Darin Cosgrove will be entering his 2000 Honda Insight in the gasoline class.

Posted Image

Huh you say? Why is it not in the hybrid class? It is because he bought the car cheaply with a bad hybrid battery. All of the hybrid functions have been disabled so the car is a very efficient gas class car with it's lean burn engine, light curb weight, and superior aerodynamics. Darin has achieved 85 mpg with it. This rally is challenging though, and top mpg numbers are not achievable when you're rushing up steep hills to stay on time.

It will be intereresting!

Mike

jjohns8181
[ *  * ]
Excellent Mine looks alot worse I have no bottom horm I have to create an L and anchor over across the steering,,, thanks for the info.... off to Tractor Supply and cutouts will be my frined my WIFE thinks I am NUTS but she just doenst understand GEO. I had a Datsun 1970 pickup it was my loyal friend until the tranny went....

bogs
Member Avatar

blownb310
Jun 3 2012, 11:51 AM
bogs
Jun 3 2012, 10:38 AM
Yeah I wish I was spending my time ecomodding the car, but I was worried about the front suspension collapsing on the rougher sections of the rally, and I rather think it would have! I don't feel like taking the train home.

Competition in the gas class will be very tough this year. Darin Cosgrove will be entering his 2000 Honda Insight in the gasoline class.

Huh you say? Why is it not in the hybrid class? It is because he bought the car cheaply with a bad hybrid battery. All of the hybrid functions have been disabled so the car is a very efficient gas class car with it's lean burn engine, light curb weight, and superior aerodynamics.
Mike
How could he disable all of the hybrid features when, if I remember rightly, the starter on that car cuts the engine when coasting to a stop and starts it electrically to get up to speed (about 15 mph) before the gas engine kicks in :hmm

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

The electric motor IS the starter on that car.

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

it also has a conventional 12v starter for when the IMA pack is too low to use to start the car. so the auto stop should stop auto stopping when the pack strength is too low (in this case not present)

and it would start up on the normal 12v starter.

blownb310
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Posted Image

Raw results converted to mpg's:

Gas Class:

1. Darin Cosgrove, 2000 Insight: 76.12 mpg.
2. Mike Kamm, 1997 Geo Metro: 64.43 mpg.
3. William Morin, 1999 Toyota Tercel: 53.33 mpg.
4. Francis Reid, 2005 Toyota Echo: 50.80
5. Jeff Dungen, 1992 Toyota Levin GT Apex: 50.15 mpg.
6. Luc Lachambre, 2013 Smart ForTwo: 48.90 mpg.
7. Patrice Quenneville, 2008 Smart ForTwo: 46.03 mpg.
8. Ken Snowman, 1990 VW "FrankenJetta": 43.88 mpg.
9. Chris Werner, 1997 Saturn SW2 wagon [with four passengers]: 41.19 mpg.
10. Nathalie Wing, 2010 Smart ForTwo: 40.14 mpg.
11. Stephanie Beaulieu, 2009 Smart ForTwo: 39.93 mpg.

Diesel Class

1. Frederic Bedard, 2005 Smart ForTwo: 73.50 mpg.
2. Marc-Andre' Lajeunesse, 2006 Smart ForTwo: 62.22 mpg.
3. Michel Cuerrier, 2005 Smart ForTwo: 57.95 mpg.
4. Martin Boisvert, 2005 Smart ForTwo: 48.30 mpg.

Hybrid Class

1. Mathieu Laframboise, 2012 Toypta Prius C: 58.07 mpg.

For the third straight year we had perfect weather! Kudo's to Jeff and the SMCC for another great event up north.

The overall winner was...

Posted Image
Darin Cosgrove of Ecomodder.com. He won overall this year with his 2000 Honda Insight. It is a very efficient car with it's lean burn engine, light curb weight, and superior aerodynamics. And Darin knows how to get every bit of efficiency out of it!

Posted Image
I couldn't have been more pleased with second overall in my "refurbished" stock '97 Geo Metro. The nice thing about this event is that it uses the same route each time so you can compare your results from year to year. I've run in all three events and these are my raw mpg results to date:

2010 - 2.0L '93 Sentra SE-R: 57.74 mpg
2011 - 1.4L '77 Datsun B210: 60.40 mpg
2012 - 1.0 L '97 Geo Metro: 64.43 mpg.

There is more good news, participation for this event was up again this year. The number of vehicles competing:

2010 - 6 cars
2011 - 10 cars
2012 - 16 cars

Posted Image
My Metro parked next to Ken Snowman's wild 1990 gas powered "FrankenJetta".

Posted Image

Posted Image
Check out Francis Reid's Toyota Echo. I love wild aero mods!

Posted Image
They called this car the Duck Nose Echo.

Posted Image
Underneath view. He had a full belly pan and side skirts like I had on my SE-R last year. This thing was cool!

Posted Image
The turnout from Team Smart Quebec was very impressive with no less than 8 entries. Four were gas powered and the other four were with the .8 liter diesels. The best one was a diesel driven by Frederic Bedard, at a great 73.50 mpg.

Posted Image
Organizer Jeff Dungen's rare RHD Toyota Levin Apex GT had it's best outing ever at 50.15 mpg. This is with a high performance 20 valve 1.6 liter engine with individual throttle bodies!

clarkdw

Very impressive. Nice numbers! Looks like a good time was had by all.
Now start working on some aero and sensor trickery so next year you can give that Insight a run for the big prize. :D

bogs
Member Avatar

I agree with Clark, hella-impressive for your first run in the car :thumb

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gathers/Events · Next Topic »
Add Reply