Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
removal of heater core; jesus christ
Topic Started: May 22 2012, 08:59 PM (2,268 Views)
fusion505
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Ok, so when I did this at the U-pull-it, I guess the gas pedal had already been removed. Anyway...

Posted Image

I've removed my dash and now I'm looking at this shit. The chilton gives no useful advice. Why is this thing still connected?

Posted Image

It looks like I have to remove the gas pedal to remove the heater core. But I have to remove the heater core to remove the gas pedal! WTF!!!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

fusion505
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
upon further fanagling, I think I can sneak past the gas pedal, but the air conditioning box on the right is in the way...

and I REALLY don't want to deconstruct my air conditioning system to do this...
Edited by fusion505, May 22 2012, 09:20 PM.

fusion505
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I think I'm ready to set this goddamn thing on fire

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

Relax, please, I pulled the heater out the passenger side of the '96 with the dash pulled 6" out.

If the gas pedal is to be removed then it is held on with one nut and pulls out toward the heater box.

Posted Image

Honestly I don't remember but it does pivot on the bar that goes through the bracket.

Nyquil-Junkie
Member Avatar

I think I'd rather be cold that change a heater core.

It's a nightmare in any car.

MR Bill
Member Avatar

You are just making it hard on yourself by fighting it. It will all come out on the
passenger side. Do a search on heater cord removal on this web site, you should
find the answers you need. I will look and scc what I can find for U also.

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

I'm laughing, but then again, not. Been there, done that. Twice. Not fun at all.

While you're in there, replace the foam on the duct work, and clean out all the debris from the AC housing. It's time well spent.

Chilton's manuals are good emergency butt wipe material, at best. IMO.

Get a Factory Service Manual for your year on eBay.

TimmyD
Member Avatar
A Metro Driver

On the vert, I had to remove the whole dang thing 'cause meeces had a home in the ducts at one time.
I got a new heater core that I'm going to install so that I don't have to tackle it again for a while.
Edited by TimmyD, May 23 2012, 05:58 PM.

dayle1960
Member Avatar
Fastest Hampster EVER

Fusion 505, you really need to become a comedian. I got a big chuckle reading your posts. Listen to the advise and so a search on GMF. It's a lot easier than you think it might be.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

downsouth
Shade Tree Mechanic
[ *  * ]
I just replaced mine recently! To get it out I cut that ear off that is behind the gas pedal with my Sawzall. Then after I bolted the box back on I glued the ear on. Worked for me!

captain1.0

downsouth
Jun 8 2012, 10:14 PM
I just replaced mine recently! To get it out I cut that ear off that is behind the gas pedal with my Sawzall. Then after I bolted the box back on I glued the ear on. Worked for me!
I see why it says shade tree! :whistle

94RHDRollerskate
Member Avatar
Forum Stud Muffin

Please explain the separate A/C box? I'm getting ready to order a heater box/blower assy from a guy in Australia. My car is an A/C car, and I think I only have the under hood components. Under dash components are non-existent. Want to make sure I have everything to complete both systems.

JoeBob
Member Avatar
Why you Mutt!

Nyquil-Junkie
May 22 2012, 11:32 PM
I think I'd rather be cold that change a heater core.

It's a nightmare in any car.
I know of two cars that it's easy money to change the heater core:

1962 Rambler American (mine didn't come with a heater, I installed one from a junkyard in an hour or two)
1979 Chevette (right there on the firewall...remove the cover and it's right there in your face!)

Lincolns...they start with the heater core and build the entire car around it. When the heater core died, I just bypassed it and froze my ass off!

Are Metros the same? I hope to never find out!

evmetro

Rollerskate, the ac box is the middle box of three in an ac model. If yours is not equipped with ac, then you will have just a round duct where the ac box goes. To add ac, you would remove the round duct and bolt up the ac box in its place. Inside the box (looks kinda like the heater core box) there is an evaporator, and it has two lines that go out your firewall, just like your heater core. Let me know if you have any other questions on this.

geo-miami
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
evmetro
Nov 18 2012, 04:05 AM
Rollerskate, the ac box is the middle box of three in an ac model. If yours is not equipped with ac, then you will have just a round duct where the ac box goes. To add ac, you would remove the round duct and bolt up the ac box in its place. Inside the box (looks kinda like the heater core box) there is an evaporator, and it has two lines that go out your firewall, just like your heater core. Let me know if you have any other questions on this.
I got a question, I need to change my heater core, got A/C, do I have to disconnect my A/C first or is there any other way to do it?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Air Conditioning/Heating · Next Topic »
Add Reply