Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Replacing Clutch; pedal toughness
Topic Started: Jun 4 2012, 12:17 AM (1,882 Views)
djn98metro
Member Avatar

So ive ordered my clutch kit on ebay and as I eagerly await to receive it i was curious....

When the pp, disc, TO bearing, pilot bearing are replaced, how much resistance will i feel in the clutch pedal? Assuming everything is done correctly...

Currently my pedal travel is all the way to the floor board when i have to start it, and relatively easy to depress, and travels a little for me to upshift with.

A friend replaced his clutch in his mustang, and though these cars are completely different his clutch became super stiff. When i drove his car my clutch was like a feather compared to his (reminded me when i drove semi's for a living)

I think he mentioned his clutch was self adjusting....not sure if i believe him. Would metros be anything similar to these results? i.e. a lot stiffer pedal when the process is done properly? :ermm:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jittney
Anchorage 92 XFi

The clutch is not self adjusting.
The stiffness should increase, but these are not big clutches with big springs.
Pedal play should be free for ~ an inch and then it should have resistance.
Good luck on the clutch replacement.
Let us know how it goes :)

Horn

The clutch pedals on these cars dont have much resistance.

Everything jittney said was spot on.

When I replaced my pilot bearing, the pilot bearing tool I had was too big and wouldnt work. So, I packed grease into the hole, found a bolt that fit perfectly in the hole and tapped on the bolt with a hammer. The bolt put pressure on the grease causing it to push out on the pilot bearing. (think I used the starter bolt iirc)

If you need any help let us know.

Murf 59
Member Avatar

The Mustang may have had a compitition clutch too. And compared to our are huge.

Horn

Could the mustang clutch been hydraulic instead of cable? I've had some hydraulic clutches that were pretty stiff.

91 ragtop
Member Avatar

The biggest thing is that you're only pushing in a 6.75'' clutch verses a 10'' or 11'' clutch like the Mustang would have.

Ken.....

Woodie
Member Avatar

Most cars have a hydraulic clutch, they are self-adjusting, Metros have a cable operated clutch.

Any car has five to ten different clutches available for it. They will range from the feather-light stock to monster "I can't even press this thing down" heavy duty. If the feel changed when you changed the clutch, then the clutch you bought has heavier springs.

hat-boy
[ *  * ]
The stiffness in your clutch petal has a lot to do with the holding power of the clutch itself. Most performance clutches have a hp rating to go along with them, and the higher the hp rating, the stiffer the clutch. If everything in the clutch is operating properly, the stiffness is determined by the individual springs in the pressure plate. The stiffer the springs, the more clamping force is applied between the flywheel and the friction disc in the clutch. If you could find a high performance clutch for a metro, you would see a much stiffer clutch petal.

mecevans
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Stiffness is determined by spring pressure and mechanical angles of levers. Holding power is a combination of pressure, friction coefficient of material, size and number of discs. For example a multiplate clutch. Soft spring more friction area.

HelterSkelter
Member Avatar
#1 Pizza Driver

Jittney
Jun 4 2012, 12:48 AM
The clutch is not self adjusting.
The stiffness should increase, but these are not big clutches with big springs.
Pedal play should be free for ~ an inch and then it should have resistance.
Good luck on the clutch replacement.
Let us know how it goes :)

if your clutch was working before all you really needed to do was adjust it yourself to get it to engage higher in the pedal press.

also as horn said the resistance is very very light. after driving my miata all day i normally accidentally stomp the geo clutch to the floor when starting. that's just how it is.

starscream5000
Member Avatar
Got 70 MPG?

My stock Geo clutch (Exedy) has a feather light clutch feel. My other geo with a replaced clutch (unknown brand, was in the car when I bought it) has a "normal" feeling clutch like any other car would have, I'd say probably 3 times stiffer than the Exedy clutch.

bobsquatch
[ *  *  * ]
While you have it apart check and change the main oil seal if necessary. There will never be a better time. Also Horn12007, I love the grease trick. A little hydraulic pressure goes a long way. Very smart.

Horn

bobsquatch
Jun 7 2012, 10:37 AM
While you have it apart check and change the main oil seal if necessary. There will never be a better time. Also Horn12007, I love the grease trick. A little hydraulic pressure goes a long way. Very smart.
I never had to do this trick until the geo.

I usually get the tool that goes inside, expands and use a slide hammer to pull out.....but on the geo it was too big.

Murf 59
Member Avatar

Almost all standardized tooling like pilot bearing removal tools are just to big for our little cars.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Transmission/Clutch/Axles · Next Topic »
Add Reply