Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Whining noise in first gear - bearing?
Topic Started: Jul 5 2012, 09:55 PM (4,241 Views)
brichter14
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Today I started noticing a weird noise when I am in first gear moving from a stop. Its a whining noise that only makes a sound when im trying to get rolling. I have no problems shifting and the clutch feels fine. I drove it a bit today and it didnt make any noises when shifting in 2nd-5th. My buddies dad said it might be a bearing in the clutch. What do you guys think?

Btw this is a 93 3/5 with only 86k miles.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

allmountain40
Member Avatar

If it is whining in one gear only, I would be inclined to believe you have a bad bearing on that gear. The clutch itself has no bearings. There is a throw-out bearing that dissengages the clutch, but if that was bad it would make noise whenever your foot is OFF the clutch and it would go away when you pushed the clutch in. If the whine gets louder, stop driving it. You don't want it seizing up on you. Been there, done that. It was one of those, I know I gotta rebuild it things, but I just kept thinking, I can make it a little longer........Then BANG, stuck on the side of the rode at 1 a.m. in the rain.
Edited by allmountain40, Jul 5 2012, 11:49 PM.

Jittney
Anchorage 92 XFi

It would be helpful to rule out some basic things like:
When is the last time you changed the transmission oil?
Was there anything (metal pieces...no matter how small) in the fluid?
What fluid are you running in it now?
Is it full?
If all these things are done, then try starting the car off in 2nd gear.
Do you hear the same sound?
Let us know. :news

Woodie
Member Avatar

Low fluid can cause this.

brichter14
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Trans fluid hasnt been changed since i got it. And it sat for 10 years before that so i will do that this weekend. What replacement fluid should i buy?

snowfish
Member Avatar
Basic GearHead

brichter14
Jul 6 2012, 10:45 AM
What replacement fluid should i buy?
You'll get many answers to that question. :news

Here's what I've done, and liked very well, on our 93 & 91...........

Drain transmission oil, fill with regular 80/90 with Sea Foam, drive for 50-75 miles, drain hot, and fill with Penzoil Synchromesh. :drivin

The cheap oil & Sea Foam gives it a good rinse. Then the Synchromesh makes it shift smooth as butter. :cheers

brichter14
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
can i get all that stuff at autozone?

brichter14
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I called a local autozone and they had the penzoil syncromesh. Because my car shifts fine and always have, should I spend the extra $ on the 80/90 oil/seafoam or can I just drain whats in there and replace it with syncromsh?

snowfish
Member Avatar
Basic GearHead

Tough call on rinsing or not. :hmm

My oil looked so grungy, I had to rinse. :O Couldn't find myself just filling as is. :shake Plus I had just pressure wash everything, :gamerz with the engine and transmission out. The speedometer port, and axle seals, just had rags stuffed in them. I knew some moisture got in there. :shake

Bottom line is what ever you do, is better than what's in there now. ^o)

Rinse or no rinse, you'll love the Syncromesh. :cheers

brichter14
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for the help guys. Ill put it in tomorrrow and let u know the results

brichter14
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I changed my trans fluid, here is a before and after pic of the drain plug. Is that too much metal?

Posted Image

Posted Image

It seemed to fix the problem. i put the car on a hill in first gear and made it push itself up the hill and it didnt make the whining noise.

On a side note my gorilla nutz came in for my 13 inch rims... and they are too tall. My hubcaps dont fit.

Posted Image

Rooy

brichter14
Jul 6 2012, 11:13 PM
On a side note my gorilla nutz came in for my 13 inch rims... and they are too tall. My hubcaps dont fit.
There are some shorter bulge nuts that may work. http://www.brandsport.com/10mmx125thread.html Either the Excalibur brand which is .3" shorter, or open ended lug nuts.

Jittney
Anchorage 92 XFi

Congratulations on the improvement with the transmission oil change :)
That's an OK amount of metal dust, given it's been ages since it's been changed.
The synchromesh will reduce internal friction and metal loss.

brichter14
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
After the car sat for the past 6 days I started it up today and the whining noise has come back. Here is a video, if you listen closely you can hear it.

Posted Image

brichter14
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Its hard to hear it but it also makes the noise in second gear. Seems to whine when the engine is under a load trying to move the vehicle...

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Transmission/Clutch/Axles · Next Topic »
Add Reply