Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Engine surges in gear only; Idles fine and revs fine in neutral, surges as soon as I try to move it
Topic Started: Aug 5 2012, 05:31 PM (357 Views)
Cretinous Pile
[ *  * ]
So my car kicked on its check engine light about a month ago, the code was "system lean". I thought maybe the downstream O2 or something like that was going bad, but after about a week the light went out. So two weeks ago it came back on, haven't checked the code yet because I figured it was the same issue.... but, there's something new now -

starting about a week and a half ago, the engine sometimes will suddenly stall and then surge while accelerating or cruising. It's been getting progressively more common but usually only does it for a few seconds. Today though it got stuck in this mode and kept it up for about 10 minutes with me putting along. Again, it idles 100% normally, engine revs fine and idles fine but as soon as its in gear [when i need it to actually do something] it throws a fit. I managed to fix it by clutching it in gear and reving the rpms way up - it hasnt done it again yet.

I'm going to check the code tomorrow or later today but in the meantime does anyone have an suggestions?
Edited by Cretinous Pile, Aug 5 2012, 05:33 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Norby
Member Avatar

Disconnect your oxygen sensor and drive it that way, see if it improves. If not, reconnect and look for another solution.

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

Get the code first!

Norby
Member Avatar

Betcha the code is P0171 for system too lean. But, yea, get the code for sure.

Jittney
Anchorage 92 XFi

A bad TPS will also create these symptoms.

GeoHam
GeoHam
[ *  * ]
My 96 Metro lsi 1.3l is doing the same thing. I read out the TPS as my book suggests and it passes. My symptoms are. Starting to acc. from a stop it stumbles erratically I have to feather to clutch and keep the rpms above 2500 until the car reaches 40 mph or faster or the stumbling continues. This happens cold or hot. Kinda acts like water in the fuel but I know that isn't the problem. NO CODES. I can see the check engine lights go from off to dim the entire time this is happening. I checked all connections and hoses, even checked the distributer and pickup coil. 320000 miles on original engine no major work done. Still gets 39 mpg and as peppy as ever. Except for the stumbling that just started.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply