Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Project 94 RHD Metro; How can I be wrong... if I'm always right?
Topic Started: Aug 19 2012, 06:09 PM (47,524 Views)
GeoZone
Member Avatar

http://youtu.be/xVrJ8DxECbg
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

94RHDRollerskate
Member Avatar
Forum Stud Muffin

GeoZone
Sep 9 2013, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I've seen that one and love it.

Mythstae
Member Avatar

94RHDRollerskate
Sep 9 2013, 10:00 PM
Got the idea from Scoobs, I think it was a while back.
Noooo, that was 1.0smallblock.
http://geometroforum.com/topic/4948337/1/
Edited by Mythstae, Sep 10 2013, 10:20 AM.

94RHDRollerskate
Member Avatar
Forum Stud Muffin

Mythstae
Sep 10 2013, 10:18 AM
94RHDRollerskate
Sep 9 2013, 10:00 PM
Got the idea from Scoobs, I think it was a while back.
Noooo, that was 1.0smallblock.
http://geometroforum.com/topic/4948337/1/
You're right, Scoobs just had 'Scoobs' in his car for a bit.

94RHDRollerskate
Member Avatar
Forum Stud Muffin

As everyone may know by now, my car was totaled on 13 Sept 2013, when another driver in a full size Dodge Ram pickup pulled out in front of me thinking he could beat me. And so, I will be getting another car soon to fix up and continue my Metro ownership.

For details of the actual wreck, see the following post made by GeoZone the day it happened:

94RHDRollerskate's Metro Crash Today; Gary's OK

Ever since my backwards 'Skate' debuted on here just over a year ago, many have wondered how exactly the car was converted over to RHD, to include me. I had planned to pull out the dash to install a RHD heat and air conditioning system I picked up from Australia, but that project never happened with the car's life being cut short.

So, today I decided that I just had to solve the mystery, for myself and everyone else on here (especially Stiffchezze) of how exactly the dash was mounted into the car, and how the electrics were run over to the right side. It's a pretty cool set-up that I'm finally able to share. Here are pictures of the dash itself, the mounting brackets and the electrical extensions. I had to see how it was done before the car is gone.

I also plan to harvest the conversion parts just in case I decide to make a future Metro into another unique machine... because I do love to be different and already miss driving on the other side. Without further do... the pics:

Dash disassembly...

Posted Image

Dash out, from the driver's side...

Posted Image

And from the left view...

Posted Image

Mounting Brackets....Mine seems to lack the curved bracket that goes near the cluster, in favor of the two shown... also you can see where the firewall bracket that normally holds the a/c box and heater blower motor used to be mounted (lack of white paint)

Posted Image

Lower view of the bracket, and how it houses the pedal set. My next car will be a manual, and I hope I can squeeze three pedals into the space.

Posted Image

Center bracket, I assume to support the radio area and also where they cut off an OEM piece where the original cluster would have sat...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Electrics where they meet the extension loom...

Posted Image

Not sure if any of these components are mounted differently than everyone else's car. Fuse block seems to be tilted and mounted with a small bracket...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Back of the actual dash. The lower metal brace came out with it...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I still have to pull the brackets, wiring, brake master cylinder and lines and the steering parts. Much work to adapt another car. We'll see if I get ambitious enough to tackle it.

Edited by 94RHDRollerskate, May 7 2017, 02:09 PM.

Scoobs
Member Avatar
:D

weird! I like it

aaronvincent
Member Avatar
Mr Mojo Risin'

Someone went through way too much trouble to build your car. That's very neat :rocker

geo pet
Member Avatar
" my strange addiction "

thanks for sharing that's interesting

MR Bill
Member Avatar

If starting the project over I think I would get and spot weld cutter and move complete brackets.

94RHDRollerskate
Member Avatar
Forum Stud Muffin

Almost the end of the line for the Skate. It's on it's way north to the greater Phoenix area to lend it's parts to other cars for the greater good of Metrodom. ZXTJato and ArcticFox will be disassembling it, and I will be getting the vert brake parts and the remaining RHD components from her before she heads to the great road in the sky.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edit: Pics of the stripped out car:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by 94RHDRollerskate, Dec 28 2013, 01:49 AM.

MR Bill
Member Avatar

Sad day, you hate to see a good friend depart, but that friend will help many more.

94RHDRollerskate
Member Avatar
Forum Stud Muffin

While I'm searching for a replacement car, I thought I would start prepping a few items that will be installed on the new ride I bring home.

First, I cleaned and painted the set of rims/tires and full sized spare scored from the blue Swift GT early last month. They are the 14" steelies and not the 7-spoke beauties unfortunately, mounted on P175/65R14 Uniroyal Tigerpaws. I chose to go with a Graphite wheel paint this go round.

Posted Image

Also, going to clean up and repair the front GT bumper that pretty much survived the crash somehow. The upper cap/grill wasn't so lucky. Amazingly, both fogs survived too. Just lost the left turn light, small tears on each end and lots of rash.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also plan to repaint and re-bushing my sway bars so that they are ready too. Side skirts came out unscathed.

MR Bill
Member Avatar

It is good to save the GT bumper and skirts.

94RHDRollerskate
Member Avatar
Forum Stud Muffin

Cleaning up the garage some, and decided to reassemble the dash, and set it to the side. Still no idea what I'll end up doing with it. Pretty sure I'll end up installing the stereo deck and mount into the Green Machine. I don;t like how close the volume and tune buttons are, as I usually end up hitting the wrong one, but it has to sound better than the current SuperTunerIII in the green car. Now that I have a cassette iPod adapter, I'll be using it more than the radio.

Posted Image
Edited by 94RHDRollerskate, Nov 23 2013, 11:28 AM.

94RHDRollerskate
Member Avatar
Forum Stud Muffin

So, a guy in North Carolina from the TeamSwift board wants to buy all of the RHD retrofit kit to convert his vert into a RHD car. I've agreed to part with it all after some deep thought. The dash will be the biggest and heaviest piece to ship.

I went up to Phoenix the other day to grab the last few remaining pieces from the car's shell. The main bracket that housed the pedals and steering column, and the steering rack assembly. I thought I would share pics of those pieces for those who were following the car from the beginning and wondering what they looked like. The steering rack appears to by RH. I had always wondered if they simply flipped a LH assembly over 180 degrees. Maybe someone who has pulled theirs out can verify if this is true. I assume the column is the standard unit. Not sure about the pedals, cause they always seemed too close together.

This post pretty much closes out the 94 RHD Skate's chapter. It was surely fun, and I miss it a lot. But life goes on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Project Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply