Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
1989 Geo Prizm; automatic to standard tranny conversion
Topic Started: Sep 26 2012, 09:11 PM (657 Views)
GeoStalker
Member Avatar
Geo Stalker

I ran into a guy at a pic-n-pull who was driving a nice light blue 1989 Geo Prizm. He said originally it was an automatic transmission but that he converted it to standard with a tranny from a Toyota Corolla......

Does anybody in this forum own a Prizm, and have you attempted this type of conversion? What type of mpg results can you report? This gentleman stated he's averaging 42mpg.

Geostalker
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

aaronvincent
Member Avatar
Mr Mojo Risin'

I owned a 91 Prizm and I could easily see that happening. The parts are VERY simple under the hood and mine got 36mpg+ with its 5 speed and my lead foot ;)

Posted Image
My Prizm circa 2008

HelterSkelter
Member Avatar
#1 Pizza Driver

the prizm is a corolla, so just look up corolla tranny swaps.

Cobrajet25
Member Avatar

Tranny swaps on common cars like this are super easy.

Step One: Sell Prizm with automatic.

Step Two: Buy Prizm with manual.

Impress your friends! Seriously though, a nice Prizm with an automatic would be quite easy to sell, and a nice one with manual will be easy to find. And likely cheaper.

I had a '90 Prizm automatic (not for long) and a '90 Corolla with a manual. The Prizm I bought for $175 with a bad motor. The nice thing about these is all the engine compartment shrouding is plastic and comes off...all the way around the engine. The motor/trans swap was very easy. The auto Prizm did about 32, the manual Corolla did about 37.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Horn

Cobrajet25
Sep 27 2012, 04:04 AM

Impress your friends! Seriously though, a nice Prizm with an automatic would be quite easy to sell, and a nice one with manual will be easy to find. And likely cheaper.

I would assume the manual one would be more expensive.....just like any mpg car.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Geo Metro Lounge · Next Topic »
Add Reply