Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Rear sway bar; How important is the rear sway bar on a '97Geo Metro 4dr LSI?
Topic Started: Sep 27 2012, 04:47 PM (626 Views)
Metrobuff
Metrobuff
[ *  * ]
Got under my Metro today for the first time since.....well, I'm ashamed to admit, NEVER! The rear sway bar mount on the right side is rusted off. So I imagine it's not doing its job. Would it be best just to remove it? I'm a very conservative driver and not into going around corners on two wheels and stuff like that! What issues would removing the sway bar cause? Thanks in advance for you advice!!!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

I have removed quite a few with no effect on handling.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Metrobuff
Metrobuff
[ *  * ]
Thanks, Johnny! I was hoping that would be the answer!

Hairtrigger
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
unbolt body side. fab up new bracket, welded it up, paint it, bolt sway bar back up

HelterSkelter
Member Avatar
#1 Pizza Driver

if you aren't tearing around town like say a pizza delivery driver, there's no need for it and you won't notice it missing. to be honest with all the other mods i did to mine i didn't notice much of a change when i put mine on. if anything i actually slide around more now that it's there, those metro sway bars are hella thick! makes the car almost too stiff.

sphenicie

DITTO. I also just pull them. if you do want to do a quick fix with no welding, then i can give pointers, hell it is easier for me to make a kit for you.

for those who might want the idea: use 1/8" plate, +/- 4"x6". on inside of spare tire well. use, (i cant remember correct size) but about 1 1/2" metal electrical hanger. drill the two holes through the plate ( 3/8") bolt the hanger over the rubber bushing. peen the edge slightly to keep rubber in place.

edit: oops
Edited by sphenicie, Sep 29 2012, 07:51 AM.

me and my metro

The early Swifts ( non-GT ) came with just a front bar. Your car will be fine without it.

ktwombley
[ *  * ]
While I was under the Geo replacing my muffler with an aftermarket one, I saw that my right sway bar bracket is broken off as well. I'm glad the answer is just to remove the whole thing, since the muffler is clanging on the sway bar at idle anyhow :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Suspension/Steering/Alignment · Next Topic »
Add Reply