Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
PO340; testing the cmp
Topic Started: Sep 27 2012, 05:42 PM (487 Views)
1.0smallblock
Member Avatar
DirtBag

jalapeno-2000 3/5

today after work, my green beastie did not want to start. it cranked, but no go. tried about 5 or 6 times.
it has been raining so i thought there might be condensation in the distributor cap. i removed it and nothing wet...
blew out some dust and put the cap back on.
pulled the #3 plug to see if i had spark..my helper cranked the engine and it fired up...(two cylinders) shut it down, put the plug back in and drove it home.
the "service engine soon" light stayed on all the way home.
when i got home, i plugged in the OBD reader and i got code PO340, camshaft position sensor.
i know this has been covered, id like to read more about this issue. anyone have a good link?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Old Man

I googled -- geometroforum po340 -- and many threads came up among them:

http://geometroforum.com/topic/3911013/1/

1.0smallblock
Member Avatar
DirtBag

so,
yesterday my metro would not start. after i removed the distributor cap..( i didnt do
anything but look for moisture then blew out some dust and corrosion ) after reinstalling
the cap, the car fired right up...CEL is on now.

at home the code was..PO340

Posted Image

today, after much reading. i cleared the code and drove the car around a bit...no
issues.pulled into the garage and decided to remove the assembly to inspect just to
see. doesnt look bad, seems pretty simple..not a whole lot to look at.

Posted Image

decided to test the CMP. my FSM says to measure the resistance of the CMP and it
should read between 185-325

Posted Image

my results were 223, so im good, right?

Posted Image

what is my next step? should i just see if the problem returns? or should i be looking
elsewhere for a problem?

EDIT: i also measured the air gap...should be between 0.008-0.016
i measured .010 or .254mm
Edited by 1.0smallblock, Sep 28 2012, 10:39 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply