Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Broken Key
Topic Started: Oct 16 2012, 12:43 AM (739 Views)
rkthev
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
Went out yesterday morning to do some work on my 91 and when I went to unlock it I only had half a key. I remembered something dropping on the floor when I was taking stuff out of my old pants pockets that morning, and found the end of the key there. When I got the car a couple weeks ago it came with another half key on the key ring, so I guess this was the second one for this car.

After a couple failed attempts at the hardware store and locksmith shop to get a new one cut from the broken key, I ended up paying $38 at the dealer to get the key code from the VIN and a new key cut from the code. At least that one worked. Locksmith and dealer both said broken keys were common with Metro's, and the fact that it came with another half key makes me think they are right.

Anyone else had this issue? Mine is very narrow where it breaks, almost into the grooves.

Will be going to get a couple duplicates made tomorrow now that I finally got another working key to duplicate.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Weswhat
Member Avatar
formerly Rdazzle

That's really strange... my 1991 Metro convertible has the original key still. Well according to the last owner who was the original owner. But he was old so maybe he was mistaken. Has 'Geo' and the logo on the key so I assumed he was correct.

rkthev
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
The one that just broke, and the half that was on the key ring were both original keys also.

billy508
Member Avatar
billy508

I used to have a 1992 metro and the key broke. The key for my 93 has broken at least once maybe twice. I think one failure was from the locksmith miscutting the key. It pays to go a real locksmith and not Home Depot or somewhere. You are right they are very narrow toward the end. I keep a eye on them and if I start to see a slight twist I get another made. You may have done the right thing by getting one make from the dealer. Every time you get a key "copied" the key changes just a little but. Just my 2 cents but it has been a issue for me over the years.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Big Rhino
Member Avatar

First thing I do when I get another metro is get spare keys made. Not broke any but sure have bent a few. Just removed a door panel last week and lubricated everything inside so I would not break a key trying to turn the door lock.

MR Bill
Member Avatar

If you pull lock set from the passenger side door you will fine the key code stamped on it.
With this code you can get a key cut. Save cost of going to dealer to get key.

reddevillhs17

I haven't broken any of my keys, but yesterday as I getting ready to release one of the police cruisers the key snapped in the ignition :die

Posted Image

fortunately I was able to extract the broken piece with pair of needle nose pliers

Posted Image

Jittney
Anchorage 92 XFi

As far as pulling a lock cylinder to take to the locksmith....the rear hatch cylinder is the easiest to get to and remove, IMO.

reddevillhs17

Jittney
Oct 16 2012, 10:46 AM
As far as pulling a lock cylinder to take to the locksmith....the rear hatch cylinder is the easiest to get to and remove, IMO.

True it is by far the easiest, but the passenger lock cylinder is the only one with the key code stamped on it

Jittney
Anchorage 92 XFi

:hmm I pulled one from a hatch that had a code on it

reddevillhs17

Jittney
Oct 16 2012, 11:21 AM
:hmm I pulled one from a hatch that had a code on it

Interesting, somebody may have swap cylinders around?

HelterSkelter
Member Avatar
#1 Pizza Driver

next time this happens just buy one of these:

http://www.southord.com/Lock-Picking-Tools/Individual-Standard-Key-Extractor-SP-13.html

then get a keyblank and make a copy yourself with a dremel.

will cost you about 5 dollars and 30 minutes.

rkthev
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
I had stopped at the locksmith twice in the week before to have duplicates made, but they were closed both times, and that was on my agenda the day it broke.

As far as taking a lock cylinder out for the code, the car was locked up.

I do need to take the door panels off and lube everything in there. The window cranks need it the most.

91 ragtop
Member Avatar

Get some duplicate keys made from the one you got at the dealer and save the good one to make future keys with. That way you won't be copying half worn out keys.

Ken.....

Potter
Member Avatar
Col. Potter

broken 2 keys since 94, fortunately i have 1 main 3 spares for my metro, 2 keys for the swift... will get more cut as time goes on.

i blame that its such a long key it develops stress points over time. Isuzu, some Toyotas and others with long keys have had problems with this as well. keep your key code handy in case it happens again or you run out of spares

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Geo Metro Lounge · Next Topic »
Add Reply