Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Elio Motors - 84 mpg
Topic Started: Jan 4 2013, 01:32 PM (4,057 Views)
hotrodfeguy
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Maybe its that much for the conversion kit for the spyder bike?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

hotrodfeguy
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Wait a second maybe thats a DOHC G-10

BlueStreak
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
Waldo
Jan 6 2013, 05:52 PM
Oh, I got an email from Elio Motors today. The vehicle will have a 3 cylinder, 70 HP automotive style engine, and have a top speed of just over 100 MPH. Needless to say, I'm even more interested!
:drivin
A SUZUKI straight 3 cyl engine! A metro minus two seats. And in Florida anything under four wheels requires a motorcycle endorsment. But for 84 mpg maybe. It is very sleek. And in comes in blue and 5 speed...:hmm

lrherrel
[ *  * ]
In Ohio I believe you would need a motorcycle license. If it has less than four wheels its concidered a motorcycle. which is a damned shame. Who decided an automobile must have four wheels to be an automobile?

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

in PA 3 wheels means any regular license will work. you ONLY need a motorcycle endorsements for actual 2 wheels motorcycles.

automatic transmission motorcycles (scooters) and 3 wheelers do NOT require endorsement (in PA)

they can EASILY make that with AC for $6800 retail. they could probably get it under $5k and still make a profit (most of our cars are artificially expensive)

part of how they can do this is MOST of the safety requirements go "poof" the moment you remove that 4th wheel and it gets classed as a "motorcycle"

what impresses me is they expect to get a 5 star crash rating. I am intrigued by that.

I am concerned about the virtually non existent warranty. 3 year 36,000 miles meaning less than 1 year for me.

OUCH. what about parts and maintenance? if its a G10 engine SWEET but I doubt it.

I would really like to see a longer 3 seater 2 door (back door) version too.
Edited by nerys, Feb 3 2013, 04:57 PM.

Horn

Good news! (if you live in Louisiana)

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20130416/NEWS11/130416027/Bill-exempts-Elio-Motors-concept-car-from-motorcycle-laws\

Its a bill that pretty much says that elio motors are exempt from motorcycle laws.

after a google search, there is a lot of buzz about this car. Many other forums are talking about this. I hope the buzz turns into $ for elio motors and keeps them going....
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PTA2PTB
Member Avatar
I'm totally awesome! I swear.

Horn
May 2 2013, 11:10 AM
Good news! (if you live in Louisiana)

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20130416/NEWS11/130416027/Bill-exempts-Elio-Motors-concept-car-from-motorcycle-laws\

Its a bill that pretty much says that elio motors are exempt from motorcycle laws.

after a google search, there is a lot of buzz about this car. Many other forums are talking about this. I hope the buzz turns into $ for elio motors and keeps them going....
"The Elio weighs 1,600 pounds,.." :O Hmmph!

Given that a Geo Metro weighs that, you would have thought, what with a vehicle: that small; only possessing three wheels; and the availability of lighter weight "plastic" body panels and whatnot, that the weight would have been more like 800 - 900 lbs, not 1600. Just think if they trimmed the weight down to around 1,000 lbs, it would probably be capable of 100 mpg. That's it!..."loose the ashtray, and one of the airbags".

Regardless, if ever really DO start producing them, and the get the mileage they claim, and they cost what they're projecting, I'll certainly buy one. I'm not real big on lime-green, though.

banzairx7
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
Just saw this video- http://www.wnem.com/video?clipId=9051756&autostart=true

The protoype is using a 3 cylinder Geo Metro as it's base. You can see the motor @ 1:18. Then the gauge cluster and steering wheel are shown right after that.
Edited by banzairx7, Jul 8 2013, 11:02 AM.

me2

We could certainly judge the Elio design if we knew what mileage he was getting with the Metro running gear.

PTA2PTB
Member Avatar
I'm totally awesome! I swear.

http://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/index.ssf/2013/09/elio_motors_brings_ultra_high.html

"...whether you got a stick or the automatic, it's got: traction control, ABS, and stability control - on the front-wheel drive....air conditioning, standard; power locks, power window..."

Sounds like BS, to me.

rmcelwee
Member Avatar

PTA2PTB
Oct 19 2013, 03:30 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/index.ssf/2013/09/elio_motors_brings_ultra_high.html

"...whether you got a stick or the automatic, it's got: traction control, ABS, and stability control - on the front-wheel drive....air conditioning, standard; power locks, power window..."

Sounds like BS, to me.
That's because it is. They will never produce these with that MPG, with those options, for that cost and crash rating. Never...

It would be great if someone would make a new low cost Metro (the Elio isn't it) but I don't think it will happen either. I hope I'm wrong.
Edited by rmcelwee, Oct 19 2013, 07:52 PM.

Waldo
Jack of all trades, Master of none
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I sure want one, but is really interesting is that motorcycles don't have a "crash rating" or a standard to crash test them, so if you read the fine print, I believe that it states "equivalent".

tonsofun1223
Member Avatar
Round One
[ *  *  *  * ]
i viewed the website for this elio motors a few months back after seeing them at the woodward dream cruise in detroit mi. It states no endorsement required and from seeing all the promo stuff and watching them drive I am on the list to get one.. the test guy said around 72 is what he gets avg in that model. cool looking cars if you ask me

coolshowonline07
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
Will you article added on this subject?I will indicator as much as your internet sites rss feed.
Belstaff Jackets
Belstaff Blazer Women
Belstaff Motorcycle
Tory Burch Outlet
Karen Millen

Woodie
Member Avatar

coolshowonline07
Oct 26 2013, 03:28 AM
Will you article added on this subject?
But of course, I would expect nothing less
Quote:

I will indicator as much as your internet sites rss feed.
Oh, thank you very much. That will be quite helpful.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Announcements & Suggestions · Next Topic »
Add Reply