Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, better MPG?
Topic Started: Feb 18 2013, 06:41 PM (1,009 Views)
Jamesinocala
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
Has anyone tried these (NGK Iridium Spark Plugs) in a 1 liter Metro, did they help the MPG if so How mutch?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

From my experience, the more someone pays for something, the more likely they are to swear that it improves something.

Iridium spark plug electrodes will last longer than the electrodes on standard spark plugs.

However, the center electrode ceramic will not last any longer that the center electrode ceramic on standard spark plugs. It may eventually crack, making you wonder why you have a slight miss at idle.

NGK is the "Forum Approved" favorite spark plug.

Autolite, ACDelco, Denso and Champion spark plugs have made no difference one way or the other in my operation.

Get some regular spark plugs. Gap them to 0.039". 15,000 miles later, toss them in the recycling bucket and get some new ones.

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

I don't believe that any plug will get you better gas mileage, assuming the original one was performing properly in the first place.

With that said, I run Autolite Platinum in my Geos.

Scoobs
Member Avatar
Decal Vendor

I never realy had to gap any of my NGKs out of the box, they all usually come around .040, and my car loves them.

t3ragtop
Member Avatar
Turbo3 and Twincam Tweaker

i have found that regular ngk coppers are just right for a g10. they last a long time and don't misfire like other plugs i've used - champion, bosch, and autolite among them.

i use the ngk power groove plugs in my high boost turbo3 and they work great.

the only real use i've found for iridium plugs is in oil burning engines. they don't seem to foul as badly and their big ceramic center insulators will release big flakes of carbonized oil so that they sort of "self clean."

but as far as boosting fuel efficiency - they won't get you there.

if you want to do something inexpensive that really helps your ignition system, tweak the clearance between the rotor's tip and the tower electrodes in the distributor cap. measure for the biggest gap you have and make all 3 exactly the same gap. then get some good quality plug wires.

high voltage loves sharp edges and the more, the better for the lightning storm. any place you don't want an arc, use a tight, low resistance connection. any place you do want an arc, provide plenty of sharp edges and as wide of a gap to a good, solid ground as you can get away with using.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1DCGUY
Member Avatar
Don't be a "Richard"

Geo Glenn
Feb 18 2013, 06:47 PM
Get some regular spark plugs. Gap them to 0.039". 15,000 miles later, toss them in the recycling bucket and get some new ones.

:gp

I second this motion!!

I can confirm that .048 on worn plugs, causes misfire, and hesitation. :smackface

Installed new plugs last weekend that were gapped to .039, and the damn car runs like new!! :thumb

t3ragtop
Member Avatar

1DCGUY
Feb 20 2013, 10:52 PM
Geo Glenn
Feb 18 2013, 06:47 PM

:gp

I second this motion!!

I can confirm that .048 on worn plugs, causes misfire, and hesitation. :smackface

Installed new plugs last weekend that were gapped to .039, and the damn car runs like new!! :thumb
especially when you can usually buy 4 sets of ngk coppers at the same price as one set of iridium plugs.

Vkhelldog
Member Avatar

I am testing out pulse plugs. It was damn expensive.. So far the car runs very smooth but that means nothing Bosch 4+ made my car run good and have a bit more zip for a few thousand miles too. Then started misfiring.... So will see... I have seen the best use in the past out of nkg coppers.

Turbo Dan-O
Member Avatar
Obsessive Car Detailer

t3ragtop
Feb 20 2013, 10:23 PM
if you want to do something inexpensive that really helps your ignition system, tweak the clearance between the rotor's tip and the tower electrodes in the distributor cap. measure for the biggest gap you have and make all 3 exactly the same gap. then get some good quality plug wires.

high voltage loves sharp edges and the more, the better for the lightning storm. any place you don't want an arc, use a tight, low resistance connection. any place you do want an arc, provide plenty of sharp edges and as wide of a gap to a good, solid ground as you can get away with using.
:hmm More cool stuff from T3! B-) How do you check the gap though? Cut up an old dizzy? :dunno

I vote for NGK V-Powers. :thumb I run them in everything I own. I have tried Denso iridiums in a few things including the Metro with no change. They ran just fine but with no change...

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

The OP hasn't been back since Post #1.

t3ragtop
Member Avatar

dan-o, i measure the height of the rotor tip from the distributor case's edge and the cap from the edge to the terminal points. write the measurements down.

i spritz a little blue machinists' dye-kem on the rotor tip and the tips of the tower electrodes, lock the cap down, and spin the distributor shaft to identify mechanical contact (which you absolutely don't want.) i have actually crashed the rotor into the cap points before, hard enough to bend them, so i don't trust any manufacturer to get things right. :D

i use my handy dandy rotary tool to even up the tower electrodes and make nice sharp edges. again, high voltages just loves sharp edges and there are 2 places where high voltage is supposed to arc, the distributor cap from the rotor to the tower poles and the spark plug gaps - no other places.

again, i cannot overstate how important a distributor that is within service specs is to engine operation. if you have a distributor with 100,000 miles on it, the shaft bearing and seal are toasted - wobbly wobbly, ignition sensor air gaps and spark arc gaps changing all over the place, oil getting slung around in the cap, etc.

people just don't consider the fact that the distributor is the "clock" that sets up all the timing events for the engine management system (exclusive of the 98 - up g13bb coil on/ near plug ignitions.) if the shaft bearing is bad, the timing bobs and weaves all over the place and fuel injection becomes imprecise, spark timing errors hammer away at the reciprocating mechanical parts. sometimes the shaft play is so excessive that the timing lobes wear through the plastic housing of the ignition sensor under the cap. there's a carnage pic floating around that shows all the copper windings of an ignition sensor spewed into the distributor case which should be the poster child for this concept. :D

i have sent my second twincam distributor on a short vacation to texas. as soon as fainya's eyes heal up after cataract surgery he'll give it a whirl and tighten everything back up.

Turbo Dan-O
Member Avatar
Obsessive Car Detailer

:gp Cool stuff! Never thought about that before.

GeoPete
AAS Auto Technology past ASE Master Tech

$8 a piece halo plugs, no need to gap, work for me.

HelterSkelter
Member Avatar
#1 Pizza Driver

ngk copper v plus is fine. it's close to what is stock on many japanese cars. the only advantage to platinum and iridium plugs is their longevity. anytime you see a claim that a spark plug is going to improve performance, it is just advertising. the sparks plug plays a very minor role in performance. if it is functioning properly it is fine. a slightly larger spark or any of the other nonsense that they will advertise will not give you noticeable gains in anything.

econboxxxer
Member Avatar
I am the one on the left.

even though the Op has been back, it was nice to see what T3 likes to run- since I will be getting some for Mahana's heart.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Fuel Economy/Performance · Next Topic »
Add Reply