Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
1988 Chevy Sprint Metro; Made 1 out of 2-my ongoing headache!
Topic Started: Mar 23 2013, 05:48 PM (17,317 Views)
GeoStalker
Member Avatar
"Chicks dig me and guys think I'm cool."

HOLD THE PHONES!!! I went to Autozone and picked up the new fuel pump. THEN I dropped the gas tank and removed the cap to find......NO FUEL PUMP!! After calling Johnny Mullet we determined the fuel pump is mechanical, and connected to the backside of the head. And there's nothing wrong with it.

Turned out I had my send and return lines reversed! :smackface So I reversed them at the tank and the car fired right up. It sounds alot better and has a lower idle....probably something to do with the correct pressure at the gas tank, since this one has NO HOLES IN IT!!!

I still have to figure out the correct return line configuration (it's pouring gas out the old line!) so I'll do that tomorrow. Put a new brake booster on and it should be driveable. It also has a cracked oil filter (weird!) and is leaking quite a bit at that point.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

EDIT: :gp

GeoStalker
Jun 20 2013, 05:02 PM
Well, I got the send, return and evap lines all connected properly, poured in 2 gallons of fresh fuel, engaged the fuel pump a few times, and fired her up.....she ran strong and sounded great......for about 30 seconds!! Then she just quit. I got back inside to fire her up again and determined the fuel pump was not engaging. :smackface It was off a spare parts car and probably burned up on the switchover. All of the fuses are good and lines are clean.....so it HAS to be the fuel pump.

So I called Autozone on the off-chance they would have a new one. The guy on the phone must have been a rookie, because he kept asking me "Geo Metro, right?" "No," I said, "it's for an 88 Chevy Sprint Metro." He then tried to tell me that with their system sometimes 88 will cross over into 89. I wasn't buying it. :shake

He told me "Yep, here it is......$137.50." I reiterated "that's for an 88 Chevy Sprint Metro, right?" and he said "Uhhh, for a Geo Metro." He then proceeded to read off all of the Chevy makes of fuel pumps they kept in stock...."Beretta, Caprice, Corvette.....OH! here it is! Chevy Sprint Metro, right?" :lol

Ya think?? :thumb :thumb Next time scroll all the way down on your computer there, fella!

"Yeah, we've got 3 in stock. $56.50."

That's more like it.
What makes you think the fuel pump is not engaging? Those cars use a mechanical fuel pump so you won't hear it like you will an electric one.
Edited by Coche Blanco, Jun 20 2013, 09:25 PM.

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Fear the Mullet

We got this sorted on the phone :fon
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GeoStalker
Member Avatar

Coche Blanco
Jun 20 2013, 09:25 PM
EDIT: :gp

GeoStalker
Jun 20 2013, 05:02 PM
Well, I got the send, return and evap lines all connected properly, poured in 2 gallons of fresh fuel, engaged the fuel pump a few times, and fired her up.....she ran strong and sounded great......for about 30 seconds!! Then she just quit. I got back inside to fire her up again and determined the fuel pump was not engaging. :smackface It was off a spare parts car and probably burned up on the switchover. All of the fuses are good and lines are clean.....so it HAS to be the fuel pump.

So I called Autozone on the off-chance they would have a new one. The guy on the phone must have been a rookie, because he kept asking me "Geo Metro, right?" "No," I said, "it's for an 88 Chevy Sprint Metro." He then tried to tell me that with their system sometimes 88 will cross over into 89. I wasn't buying it. :shake

He told me "Yep, here it is......$137.50." I reiterated "that's for an 88 Chevy Sprint Metro, right?" and he said "Uhhh, for a Geo Metro." He then proceeded to read off all of the Chevy makes of fuel pumps they kept in stock...."Beretta, Caprice, Corvette.....OH! here it is! Chevy Sprint Metro, right?" :lol

Ya think?? :thumb :thumb Next time scroll all the way down on your computer there, fella!

"Yeah, we've got 3 in stock. $56.50."

That's more like it.
What makes you think the fuel pump is not engaging? Those cars use a mechanical fuel pump so you won't hear it like you will an electric one.
I coulda SWORE I heard it engaging when I was testing it, but alas.......

GeoStalker
Member Avatar

I had to drop the tank yesterday to ensure, for the final time, that the fuel lines were properly connected.

Posted Image

The new lines are secured to the old lines......

Posted Image

Posted Image

evap line.....

Posted Image

return line......

Posted Image

send line connected to the filter.

Posted Image

The car runs alot nicer now, and while it still has a high idle, it's not AS high since I replaced the gas tank.

A secondary issue.....an oil leak around the oil filter. When I inspected it closer, it appeared the top of the filter was cracked. And here's why......the frame brace which mounts to the forward rail has a broken bolt underneath, causing a shift toward the oil filter. Over time the vibration of the engine forced the brace to make contact repeatedly with the filter, causing a crack. Not alot of space in there to begin with. To solve the problem I spun the brace sideways.

Posted Image

Brace turned sideways, and new filter installed.

Posted Image

Next up after lunch.....shorten the hoses in the engine compartment, reattach the gas tank and start working on a new brake booster.

GeoStalker
Member Avatar

Hmm, after putting in a new brake booster, I have brakes (a bit spongey) but still get a higher idle when I apply the brakes. Vacuum leak somewhere I'm sure.....test test test test test!!!!! :hmm

But three of my major problems are resolved....no more oil leak, gas line leak resolved with new lines, and I now have SOME brakes until I can resolve the high idle.

I think I can start putting the interior back together now. :rocker

GeoStalker
Member Avatar

Thought I'd work on putting the interior back in.....in 90 degree heat!!

Posted Image

Putting in the back seat.......

Posted Image

The fabric on the back of the seat was nasty, so I removed it and washed it. Didn't realize the damage to it, so I just decided to go to Hobby Lobby and purchase new material.....

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Starting forming it to the back of the seat with the push pins, then cut away a bit.....

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Looking pretty good thus far.....

Posted Image

I found the original spare tire cover, so I decided to make a larger plywood cover which will have hinges for easy opening and closing. I decided to staple the old cover to the top of it, and will eventually adhere the cloth material to it as well.

Posted Image

More tomorrow.

aaronvincent
Member Avatar
Mr Mojo Risin'

90 degree heat! You poor thing!
Its currently 107 degrees where I live (middle of the desert) :x :evillol :bananaburn

GeoStalker
Member Avatar

"Out in the west Texas town of El Paso......"

GeoStalker
Member Avatar

Finished the hatch area project. Looks pretty good!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think I'm going to plastidip the inside trim with gray just to get it more even looking. More to come.

aaronvincent
Member Avatar
Mr Mojo Risin'

Looks very nice! Much better then the cheap cardboard they give you normally. :cheers

GeoStalker
Member Avatar

aaronvincent
Jun 25 2013, 02:12 PM
Looks very nice! Much better then the cheap cardboard they give you normally. :cheers
I only used 1/4 plywood board.....could have gone thicker but it was what was laying around the shop. I ran a thin piece of tongue-n-groove flooring board across the center of it to add a bit more weight support. It's not like I can set a cinderblock on it or anything but it would hold most everything else. I also wish I took pictures as to how I hinged it....pretty simple process.

MR Bill
Member Avatar

Great workmanship
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GeoStalker
Member Avatar

Today I decided to paint the car using Plastidip from dipyourcar.com. Ordered the navy blue and a gallon of clear, and the order included all the accessories necessary to paint the car myself, including the paintgun, drape and tape, microfiber towels, etc. I had read the reviews and even a few comments from members here and now that I've done it I'm convinced I made the right decision. Of course time will tell if the paint holds up, peels off or fades.....we'll see.

I also had a set of convertible hubcaps with the GEO logo on them....sanded off the logo put them on the car and hit em with black plastidip.

Enjoy the pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am particularly happy with the way the rockers turned out on both sides....can't even tell they were cancerous!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now onto the shop to figure out the high idle. Here's to hoping I get this thing on the road by next weekend!!! :rocker

00Metro
Member Avatar

Looking good :thumb

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Project Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply