Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
$10 valve spring tool
Topic Started: May 9 2013, 12:19 PM (1,463 Views)
chinostripe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I tried for a week to find a valve spring tool to borrow from one of the local parts stores. I finally thought about it for a minute and came up with this. A $8 C clamp from Harborfreight along with a cheapo 13/16 spark plug socket that's been rusting in my tool box. I cut 2 sides from the socket to allow for tweezers and keepers. I finally added a short piece of PVC tubing to the stationary jaw to rest against the valve face. Took about 20 minutes to install all new 3tech stainless valves.

Photos - https://plus.google.com/photos/115112864207404482087/albums/5876028984272403281
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

idmetro
Member Avatar

I like it!

Memphis metro

That works. Been more than one socket cut up to install some keepers. ^o)

Norby
Member Avatar

Saweet !

buddydog201
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
Anybody can fix something with parts, a good mechanic improvises. Nice work

MR Bill
Member Avatar

What size "c" clamp did you use?

chinostripe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
This is the exact tool

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-industrial-c-clamps-39610.html

I was just putting the pistons back in and snapped a rod bolt. Probably need to check my torque wrench. Any clues who might have one?

My FSM says 40 ft/lb. Apparently it's 26 ft/lb. cuss words.
Edited by chinostripe, May 9 2013, 05:19 PM.

Memphis metro

26 right. You mean a FSM has a error in it? Cant be. That is only supposed to be haynes with errors.

PTA2PTB
Member Avatar
I'm totally awesome! I swear.

Good job! In addition to installing your valve keepers with it, they make a really good tool for pressing your brake caliper pistons (all the way) back into their bores, so you can fit your new brake pads over the rotors, when doing a brake job. For $8, you can't beat it.

chinostripe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Do not misread the manual like I did. Stalled my rebuild immediately.
Posted Image

The local Chevy dealer says you can't replace the bolt. I have a rod coming. Am I better off pressing out the pin and replacing the rod, or just replacing the bolt?

mluikart
[ *  * ]
we had the same error and snapped our rod bolt, did you have any luck with finding a replacement bolt?

chinostripe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I ended up buying a rod off ebay. I got busy and it got hot so It's still sitting like I left it a few months back. The good news is I got another Geo yesterday with a good motor in it. Since my original is a 4 dr, I'm going to swap the engine from the recent acquisition into the 4 dr. I'm going to have parts available. Body and interior, no drive train.

91 ragtop
Member Avatar

I built my own using a c clamp vicegrip. All it takes is one squeeze and you're in business.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Ken..............
Edited by 91 ragtop, Sep 21 2013, 07:07 AM.

clarkdw

I liked the one in this video so much that i built my own version. Pics later when I bring it home from work after tweaking it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Guides/How to · Next Topic »
Add Reply