Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
burnt valve??
Topic Started: Jun 30 2013, 11:20 PM (450 Views)
wingthing2
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
how does a car act or what are the signs if it has a burnt valve? still trying to get to the bottom why this metro has a loss of power
good compression----doesn't use oil, cleaned out the EGR valve, new fuel filter etc etc etc........came to a stop today shifted out of 1st into 2nd stepped on the gas and the car acted like it was gonna die/lost power almost stalled, something isn't right :(
Edited by wingthing2, Jun 30 2013, 11:22 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Potter
Member Avatar
Col. Potter

burnt valve would have bad compression.....

dose the car smoke at all?

have you recently replaced the o2 sensor?

is your check engine light on?

how long has this problem been going on?

is their any odd noises from the engine like a ping, knock, clatter?

how dose your antifreeze look? level, color, and clarity.

is the car rich? (black smoke out the tail pipe)

is it too lean? (spark plugs white as snow)

dose it feel like a constant bog down or jolting bog like a cyl is only catching fire every other lick?

wingthing2
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
Potter
Jun 30 2013, 11:36 PM
burnt valve would have bad compression.....

dose the car smoke at all?

have you recently replaced the o2 sensor?

is your check engine light on?

how long has this problem been going on?

is their any odd noises from the engine like a ping, knock, clatter?

how dose your antifreeze look? level, color, and clarity.

is the car rich? (black smoke out the tail pipe)

is it too lean? (spark plugs white as snow)

dose it feel like a constant bog down or jolting bog like a cyl is only catching fire every other lick?

no smoke
have not changed sensor
no check engine light
been going on since I got the car couple months ago
no engine noise
anti freeze good
no black smoke
just replaced plugs, but
the tips are whiteish color
when excelerating feels like its not getting full power
Edited by wingthing2, Jul 1 2013, 12:00 AM.

Smidgen
Smidgen

My guess is o2 sensor. Common to be bad even without CEL. For $18 give it a try. here is a link: http://www.primechoiceautoparts.com/p-9024-oxygen-sensor-mmy-geo-metro-1996.aspx

wingthing2
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
CEL?? what makes you think its the O2 sensor? also the check engine light isn't coming on
Edited by wingthing2, Jul 1 2013, 12:42 AM.

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

Cat clogged?

Big Rhino
Member Avatar

Do you know the check engine light works? Does it come on when you first turn the switch on? Check the timing with a timing light.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Potter
Member Avatar
Col. Potter

:gp yea i was going to follow up with this.... pin the connector under your hood their should be a diagram under the hood and check your timing

it should be 5 deg advanced from the factory. and if you feel confidant bump it up to 8 deg it helps i prommise.

cat could be clogged as well

imo if you dont have emmisions or inspections hack that bad boy off and replace it with a peice of pipe
Edited by Potter, Jul 1 2013, 10:05 AM.

Smidgen
Smidgen

My car had the same problem. Stepped on the gas, no power. A few weeks later the check engine light(CEL) came on with pre-cat o2.

wingthing2
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
crazy thing is runs great and excelerates on the flat and suffers going up a long grade, could be the checkengine light doesn't work, how do ya check that?

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

wingthing2
Jul 1 2013, 03:31 PM
crazy thing is runs great and excelerates on the flat and suffers going up a long grade, could be the checkengine light doesn't work, how do ya check that?
When you turn on the key, before you start the engine, all the lights should come on. Oil, alternator, check engine light, etc. That's how you check.

3 cylinder Geo Metros suck for power going up hills. I'm pretty sure what you're experiencing is normal.

Old Man

Geo Glenn
Jul 1 2013, 03:37 PM
wingthing2
Jul 1 2013, 03:31 PM
crazy thing is runs great and excelerates on the flat and suffers going up a long grade,

3 cylinder Geo Metros suck for power going up hills. I'm pretty sure what you're experiencing is normal.

careful GG. I told him that a couple of days ago and he told me that I wasn't making sense......He's gonna think you are a dumbass too :D

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply