Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Rebuilding a fuel efficient G10; need tips on a rebuild
Topic Started: Jul 24 2013, 06:14 PM (406 Views)
Green Fox
[ *  * ]
My first engine rebuild and I'm trying to get the best gas mileage possible on a budget. Any tips to increase fuel economy on my new rebuild? And anything that I should know when rebuilding this engine? Also the car is an automatic... :(
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

Buy a manual.

nathan298
Member Avatar
Geo Resurrector

Yep. I've owned manual and automatics both. I recommend getting a manual transmission, shift linkage, clutch pedal assembly, etc and swapping it while you have the motor out, it will be much easier. That will give you an instant 10-15 mpg boost. If you want to stick with the automatic just make sure the car is tuned up and running it's best. You could also upgrade to 13" wheels, get an economy camshaft, or a mirror delete if you want to squeeze a few more mpg from the auto.

Norby
Member Avatar

Yea, sell the automatic and scour the countryside for an xfi version. When I was driving trucks across the states I noticed so many parked Metros/Swifts. Always wanted to stop and see them but nearly impossible for me to sight see.

dayle1960
Member Avatar
Fastest Hampster EVER

Five speed for the win. Autos are notorious for sucky fuel mileage.

Best tip for automatic mpg gain is to slow down.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Green Fox
[ *  * ]
Thanks guys for the replies I really want to change out the trans. When I find a good replacement and also I know the auto trans doesn't get as good mpg's. But on open highway I ran a 102 mile trip and only used 2 gallons of gas. Is that normal?

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

Green Fox
Jul 24 2013, 10:40 PM
But on open highway I ran a 102 mile trip and only used 2 gallons of gas. Is that normal?
No.

Green Fox
[ *  * ]
well I didn't think so... I ran 55 the whole way, so how is that possible?

90 LSI
Member Avatar
GeeOh
[ *  *  * ]
Its not but then a 2 gallon sample isn't really an accurate measurement. If out can get 40mpg out of it you'd be doing good. That 3 speed non-locking trans is just not efficient.

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

90 LSI
Jul 25 2013, 07:56 AM
Its not but then a 2 gallon sample isn't really an accurate measurement. If out can get 40mpg out of it you'd be doing good. That 3 speed non-locking trans is just not efficient.
:gp

Nailed it.

Green Fox
[ *  * ]
Well hopefully I can find a 5 speed soon. What is the price range I would be looking at for a manual transmission in a junkyard? Without being ripped off...

Car Nut
Member Avatar

You almost need a complete donor car. More than just a trans swap involved here. Always one or two more parts you need that you didnt get at the jy, then you go back for them or find out they just crushed it yesterday. If it was me I'd keep looking for a manual car & keep the auto one for parts. Just sayin'

dayle1960
Member Avatar
Fastest Hampster EVER

Car Nut
Jul 26 2013, 05:39 AM
You almost need a complete donor car. More than just a trans swap involved here. Always one or two more parts you need that you didnt get at the jy, then you go back for them or find out they just crushed it yesterday. If it was me I'd keep looking for a manual car & keep the auto one for parts. Just sayin'
What he said. :thumb
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Green Fox
[ *  * ]
Yeah I understand I guess I'll just keep looking for a donor car. I wanted to swap trans because the body is in great shape no rust anywhere/ all interior in great shape also. Solid car just trying to swap transmissions for the fuel efficiency.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Fuel Economy/Performance · Next Topic »
Add Reply