Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
EGR vacuum solenoid connector failure; Fails Ohm's test on way to PCM, yet valve itself tests fine
Topic Started: Aug 11 2013, 08:19 PM (432 Views)
plagios
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hello everyone. This is my first technical post on this forum. I own a 1993 Geo Metro 3 cylinder 5 speed manual. While performing OHM's tests trying to determine why my car dies at stop signs and fails to restart (unless I let it sit for fifteen minutes or completely flood it out), I detected the EGR vacuum solenoid valve connector heading to PCM failed an OHM"s test. The EGR solenoid valve itself tested fine. The Green wire I traced to the PCM and it registers current fine. The white/ blue wire splits off to the IAC valve, Fuel Pump Relay, Fuse and Relay Box. Most ends tested fine, except the connection thru the PCM. I'm not sure if the green wire going to the PCM from the EGR solenoid connector is supposed to meet up with the white / blue to complete the OHM's circuit at all times, or if some process happens along the operation that completes the circuit while the car is running. I'm assuming the green and white/blue solenoid wires on the connector should complete an Ohm's circuit like all the other ones while the car is off or on. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks
Posted Image
Edited by plagios, Aug 11 2013, 08:51 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Big Rhino
Member Avatar

Have you done a engine compression test? As for the solenoid connector, disconnect it and turn the ignition switch on and see if you have voltage to the white/blue terminal wire. Then warm up car to operating temperature connect your test light cable to the positive battery post and probe the green wire terminal on the plug. Increase engine rpms to 2500 rpms and see if the test lamp lights.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

plagios
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks Rhino. Strangely this morning, the connector is registering on Ohm's test. I wonder if all that electrical cleaner spray did some work? I swear yesterday it wasn't registering on OHM's meter. Haven't taken it out on road yet, as I'm still waiting for Radiator Thermostat Fan Switch to arrive at Advanced Auto. I'll know whether the stop sign dying problem has been resolved by tomorrow. And no, I have not done engine compression test yet on this vehicle. I'm looking forward to it in a couple weeks when I purchase an engine compression vacuum pump device. I don't presently own one, as I'm in the process of rebuilding my tool collection after a move.
Edited by plagios, Aug 12 2013, 12:00 PM.

Woodie
Member Avatar

EGR does not have anything to do with your stalling problem. It's more likely a bad fuel injector, they often go bad like this.

Take the air filter housing off and peer down the throttle body with a good flashlight when the engine is running. You should be able to see a nice cone of fuel mist coming out of the injector and spraying on the throttle plate. Then, when the car stalls out on you, have the same look as someone cranks it over on the starter. I'm betting there's no fuel being sprayed out.

plagios
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Ok Woodie, I'll try that. Although I just received word from a trusted mechanic today that I have a blown head gasket. Could that be the culprit here? Did I mention all the milky white snot that forms in the throttle body injector / air cleaner housing? It's an older car that was thrashed on heavily by a young dude who raced it...so I don't doubt there's multiple issues going on with it.

Big Rhino
Member Avatar

Post 2 asked if you had a compression test on the engine done. ;)
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Electrical Systems · Next Topic »
Add Reply