Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Annoying OIl Leaks; Oil pan parts and repairs
Topic Started: Sep 15 2013, 01:21 AM (722 Views)
landon707
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
Okay, so i just got my 1995 Geo metro 4 door sedan the other day and i jumped right in to the repairs. i noticed a bad oil leak coming from the oil pan so i got a new gasket and installed it. This fixed some of the leaking but on my oil pan it has a quarter sized hole in the side of the oil pan and my gasket didn't come with this shape i also fount a bullet shaped rubber thing that i believe was supposed to go in this hole but it was destroyed and i cant find one online anywhere :banghead . anyone know what it is called and where i can get one or do i need to redo my oil pan gasket again? anything helps thanks! :thumb
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

Forget the gasket. The oil pan on your car is best sealed with High Temperature Red RTV, and a couple of "Geo Glenn" tricks.

Geo Glenn
Sep 4 2013, 02:08 AM
I have been making my own oil pan gaskets for quite a while. I use 1/64" thick (0.015") Fel-Pro gasket paper, P/N 3022, which is available at many auto parts stores.

It's an installation that that doesn't leak, and makes it easy to remove the oil pan, if required.

Actually, it's more of a sealant spacer. The flange of the oil pan is about 1" wide. This gasket is 1/2" wide, so there is a 0.015" space for the RTV to spread between the oil pan and the mating surface of the engine case.

I laid the gasket paper on a flat surface and trace the outside flange of the oil pan and the fastener holes.

I connect the centers of the fastener holes, and draw parallel lines on each side of center line, 1/4" from CL. On the rear of the engine, I make the gasket 1/16" more narrow towards the inside of the engine.

I used a 1/4" single hole paper punch for the fastener holes in the gasket.

Posted Image

Once the gasket was cut, I applied a coating of Ultra-Gray RTV on both sides and placed it on the engine case.

Posted Image

Then, I filled in the edges of the gasket with a little more Ultra-Gray RTV.

Posted Image

The oil pan got a very thin coating of High Temperature Red RTV.

Posted Image

The amount of RTV that squishes out on the inside is probably the same amount that squishes out on the inside. Too much squish is not good. This looks about right. Maybe a little too much, but, OK.

Posted Image

I installed all the fasteners, and hand tightened them, going around in a circle. Then, twice around with a torque wrench, and they're tight. No need to wait for the RTV to half harden before applying full torque. ^o)

While the RTV was still wet, I wiped off the excess, making sure that the gap between the oil pan and engine case was completely sealed.

Posted Image

I fingered on an oil filter, dipstick tube, and a crankshaft timing gear.

A little bit of yellow paint keeps me from having to think too hard. :hmm

Posted Image

91 ragtop
Member Avatar

That's a good writeup Geo Glenn. There's one more thing that I think is important and that is to lay the pan down on a flat surface and check to make sure everything is good and straight. Sometimes you will need to flatten out around the bolt holes with a small hammer to make sure it all bolts down tight.

Ken.......
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

91 ragtop
Sep 15 2013, 09:02 AM
That's a good writeup Geo Glenn. There's one more thing that I think is important and that is to lay the pan down on a flat surface and check to make sure everything is good and straight. Sometimes you will need to flatten out around the bolt holes with a small hammer to make sure it all bolts down tight.

Ken.......
Good call, Ken. I see fastener holes that are damaged on occasion, and always associated with the previous installation of a "cork" oil pan gasket.

landon707
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
i made sure the oil pan was in good shape but i think its for the wrong year metro.

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

landon707
Sep 16 2013, 12:16 AM
i made sure the oil pan was in good shape but i think its for the wrong year metro.
Could be. The correct oil pan for the 1989 - 1995 is shown in my pictures above. The 1996 and after oil pan has a hole for the crankshaft position sensor.

dayle1960
Member Avatar
Fastest Hampster EVER

Gray RTV and red RTV????????????? Come on Glenn, we all know and appreciate your wrenching skills, but this is a little bit overboards, huh?

Just slap on a line of red RTV and call it good, and for gosh sakes never, ever use a cork gasket on a 95+ G10 engine. PERIOD.

evintho
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Dang! I wish I saw this earlier. My Fel-Pro cork pan gasket just arrived from RockAuto! :ahh

I was planning on flattening out the bolt holes, using a thin coat of RTV Ultra Black and installing the cork gasket. OK, let's hear it! Flame suit is on! :bananaburn

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

dayle1960
Sep 16 2013, 09:03 PM
Gray RTV and red RTV????????????? Come on Glenn, we all know and appreciate your wrenching skills, but this is a little bit overboards, huh?
Red + Gray = No :fon from guys with Geo Glenn engines about oil pan leaks.

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

dayle1960
Sep 16 2013, 09:03 PM
Just . . .
:lol You said "Just". :lol

vr4

Grey only = no oil leaks on my own cars.

paul11211

Ultra black= no oil leaks!

captain1.0

Cork gasket with indian head on my cars with no crank sensors. No leaks for years.

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

vr4
Sep 17 2013, 12:49 AM
Grey only = no oil leaks on my own cars.
The 4 cylinder oil pans install very well with Ultra Gray and nothing else.

paul11211
Sep 17 2013, 07:59 AM
Ultra black= no oil leaks!
Ultra Black = Hard to get off the oil pan.

Big Rhino
Sep 17 2013, 08:03 AM
Cork gasket with indian head on my cars with no crank sensors. No leaks for years.
Indian Head is the worst crap in the world to remove.

captain1.0

Geo Glenn
Sep 17 2013, 08:35 AM

Indian Head is the worst crap in the world to remove.

Not with the right tools. Because it is so hard to remove might have something to do with why it is such a good sealer. I do not plan on removing my oil pans on a regular basis. ^o)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply