Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
My '92 metro
Topic Started: Sep 24 2013, 01:30 PM (3,040 Views)
aartod

Soooooo, a few months ago I bought my first metro, a blue 92 2 door base model... I bought it with a blown headgasket and who knows what else. I wanted a metro primarily for the gas mileage because I drive 98 miles a day for work. I am a fan of subarus and have only driven them for the past 15 years or so, however, they are not so hot on gas milage! So anyhow, I pulled the head and found many more problems such as wore out cam journals, a bad cylinder wall, and out of tolerance bottom end. Luckily geo Glenn was going to be traveling thru my area and I was able to buy a head from him and he measured my crank and bottom end components and I ended up ordering the rest of the engine from him. Now what is left is buying a gasket kit, water pump, timing set, and all the other misc tune-up type parts. Currently I am stuck waiting on money to buy more parts. So, while I am waiting on that, I have done other things like removing the gas tank to drain the 2 year old gas out and cleaning this and that. So now the project is stalled a bit but I will update when I get more completed. Yes, I will post some pictures soon too!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Memphis metro

:popcorn

Just curious, what led you to the geo metro? How did you find out about the metro? Did you read about them, see one for sale, looked up fuel efficient cars?

aartod

I have had a long commute for the past 13 years... I knew they got great mpg and are old (so they were in my price range) and I have been saying for years that I wanted to try one out because I spend a ton of money on gas! My old half dead subaru legacy has 285,000 on it and is needing replacement- so I decided to buy one to replace it. I also did some reading on this forum before I bought it to get some info on the mechanical aspect of them.

aartod

I was going to get a couple pictures... However, it has been non stop dumping rain! Soon enough, I suppose.

aartod

Okay, so it's been awhile and I finally got some pictures of the engine that will be installed in a few days... I'm still not totally sure about the color, but I love the color green!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Memphis metro

^o)

Boogie Rat
Member Avatar

Nice work. That's a very purty motor.

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Fear the Mullet

:popcorn

Deleted User
Deleted User

Nice.

Stick an oil filter on there to keep the bugs out.

Planning some sort of an aftermarket coolant temperature monitoring device?
Quote Post Goto Top

aartod

Yup, you must have seen that big brass fitting... I wanted a mechanical gauge so I welded a bung and machined me a hole where the length of the probe wouldn't be a problem. I have heard that the stock gauges are not the most reliable.

Deleted User
Deleted User

aartod
Nov 24 2013, 01:48 PM
Yup, you must have seen that big brass fitting... I wanted a mechanical gauge so I welded a bung and machined me a hole where the length of the probe wouldn't be a problem. I have heard that the stock gauges are not the most reliable.
Stock gauges work very well.

The bottom white line means 140 degrees F. Somewhere in the middle is 180 - 190 F. If you get to redline, it's time to shut off the engine and figure out :wtf

Quote Post Goto Top

aartod

Okay, I read a few posts about people's water temp gauges failing... However, I still would like to know my oil pressure and volts!

billpinsc
Member Avatar

Looks great

aartod

Here's the gauges...
Posted Image

Deleted User
Deleted User

Nice gauge set. ^o)

I think Turbo Dan-O has an OEM AM/FM Cassette stereo that would fill that other hole very nicely.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Project Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply