Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NGK V-power plug any good?
Topic Started: Oct 31 2013, 01:16 PM (570 Views)
heckling7

I changed out my old standard NGKs with new V-Power(splits) yesterday. I understand NGK plugs are the best for our Metros, but will the V-power provide anything beneficial over the standard OEM NGK plugs? Is NGK what Suzuki put in the Metros from the factory? Just wondering why they are better than say Bosch or Autolite.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

I have run all different kinds of spark plugs. They all seem to work just fine.

I have recently discovered the NGK G-Power. For a couple of more dollars, they'll run 3 times as long. 50,000 miles for the G-Power v. 15,000 miles for the standard spark plugs.

I'm not sure what OEM spark plugs were. I'm absolutely certain they were made in Japan.

JADEDSL2
Member Avatar
Resident WraithSlayer

Geo Glenn
Oct 31 2013, 01:31 PM

I have recently discovered the NGK G-Power. For a couple of more dollars, they'll run 3 times as long. 50,000 miles for the G-Power v. 15,000 miles for the standard spark plugs.

I'm not sure what OEM spark plugs were. I'm absolutely certain they were made in Japan.
You're welcome. :rocker Glenn's right, the platinum NGK G-Powers are brilliant (he's actually running 3 out of 4 of my "old" set that I replaced with V-Powers about a month ago. Both work just fine, as do standard copper NGK. NGK being the key. Anything less is crap, IMHO.

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

JADEDSL2
Oct 31 2013, 07:48 PM
Geo Glenn

You're welcome. :rocker Glenn's right, the platinum NGK G-Powers are brilliant (he's actually running 3 out of 4 of my "old" set that I replaced with V-Powers about a month ago. Both work just fine, as do standard copper NGK. NGK being the key. Anything less is crap, IMHO.
Ahhh . . . Actually, all four of them. My '96 is a four cylinder. I figured 40,000 miles on JADEDSL2's wasn't quite enough to kill them. I'll give them another 10,000 miles, and then I'll send them down to Dayle1960 for another 40,000. :lol

ascensions
Member Avatar
Je conduis une petite voiture.

Geo Glenn

I have recently discovered the NGK G-Power.
They claim better MPG on the website, what do you think about that claim?

Also what gap and heat-range are you running?

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

ascensions
Oct 31 2013, 09:48 PM
Geo Glenn

I have recently discovered the NGK G-Power.
They claim better MPG on the website, what do you think about that claim?

Also what gap and heat-range are you running?

Gap code = 11

Heat code = 6

I put in a set of used plugs, and joined Fuelly. Click on the link. My gas mileage is better than yours when I drive my 96 4/5 like Econboxxer. My fuel mileage is worse than my "wife's" most of the time.

Any claim by the manufacturer to better fuel economy is satisfied by the consumer's tendency to claim better results in direct proportion to the amount of money spent.

:hmm Placebo effect?

Posted Image

perfesser
Member Avatar

I just replaced the Champions <gag, puke> in mine with NGK V-Powers and although it's too early for a definitive comparison, this tank was +2 mpg from the old set. I was seriously torn between NGKs and Bosch. I apprenticed as a Porsche/Audi mechanic and worked my way through engineering school at a VW dealership, then spent the late-80s and early-90s making fuel systems at Bosch. Old loyalties die hard, but I've read so much good about the NGK brand here (and I did have an NGK ball cap in high school! :D ) that I thought I'd give 'em a try. So far so good!

JADEDSL2
Member Avatar
Resident WraithSlayer

Geo Glenn
Oct 31 2013, 08:33 PM
JADEDSL2
Oct 31 2013, 07:48 PM
Geo Glenn

Ahhh . . . Actually, all four of them. My '96 is a four cylinder. I figured 40,000 miles on JADEDSL2's wasn't quite enough to kill them. I'll give them another 10,000 miles, and then I'll send them down to Dayle1960 for another 40,000. :lol

My bad. Thought you put them on one of the 3 poppers. I retract my previous statement, he used all 4.

Woodie
Member Avatar

Any claim of increased power or mileage by any sparkplug manufacturer is pure BS.

Platinums and Iridiums last longer than standard plugs, that's about the only difference.

I think the factory plugs were NipponDenso.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

budfreightliner
[ *  * ]
Denso was factory. I have BPR6EGP G-powers in my 93 xfi.
I see no difference in performance except there long service life.
i was gonna stay with denso platniums but the ngk plugs were only a buck more each.

Ken

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply