Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Best Spark Plugs to use in Geo Metro; What does Manufacture recommend?
Topic Started: Nov 3 2013, 01:41 PM (970 Views)
BillMan
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
What are the best spark plugs to use in a 1990 Geo metro and other year cars?
Figured this would be a good topic for people to know the best ones to buy.

What about Bosch plugs?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

NGK G-Power.

Japanese spark plugs for a Japanese engine.

Works good, last a long time.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BillMan
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53yfHLdn41k

What about multi ground? Bosch has the multi ground so that is why I'm wondering if Bosch wouldn't be better? I could be wrong, so just curious.

Thanks

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

G-Power. Trust me. All spark plugs are going to give you similar performance. G-Power's last longer.

BillMan
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I see there is a NGK Iridium IX - Spark Plug Which costs 2.5X as much. Would that be better? Sorry for the questions

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

The electrodes on the iridium spark plugs will last for a very long time. So will the platinum plug electrodes.

There's a balance between price and quality that I like to meet.

Platinum and iridium spark plugs last longer than standard spark plugs.

For less than $1 more, you can have platinum spark plugs.

For twice the price or more, you can have iridium spark plugs.

The life limiting component of spark plugs is the center electrode ceramic. No matter how good the electrodes, or how minimally adequate, eventually the center electrode ceramic may eventually crack.

I use standard NGK spark plugs for 15,000 miles before I toss them in the recycling bin.

I use platinum NGK spark plugs for 50,000 miles before I toss them in the recycling bin.

G-Power are not twice the price, but you can get three times the service.

fireflyin

has anyone tryed using E3 spark plugs in geo/metros?

and what is the best sparkplug out there?

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

I use standard NGK Copper plugs in all my rides.

jonathan180iq
Member Avatar
Not Really All That Smart

I have to agree with Johnny. I've been all around the block over the years using super-hyped plugs and then using the good old fashioned kind. It just doesn't make much sense to me to use anything but the plain jane copper. NGK first. Bosch second. Change them as indicated in the service schedule and give them a look at least once or twice over the course of their mileage life.

ascensions
Member Avatar
Je conduis une petite voiture.

fireflyin
Nov 4 2013, 03:13 PM
has anyone tryed using E3 spark plugs in geo/metros?

and what is the best sparkplug out there?
I have the precursor to the E3's.... and can't say I've seen any benefit.

If you want a "unique" plug, buy some copper NGKs, and side-gap them.

This is a great thread on the procedure for a SR20, which would be the same procedure for Metros:

http://www.sr20-forum.com/naturally-aspirated-all-motor/16898-how-side-gap-spark-plugs.html

snowfish
Member Avatar
Basic GearHead

Quote:

some copper NGKs, and side-gap them

And you've done this? :news

Vkhelldog
Member Avatar

I've sworn Bosch +4 helped in an old metro... in the one I have now I can not notice any difference in the plugs.. they all do the same thing if gapped right. I'm running Bosch iridium +4, just because I bought them... there is no noticeable difference from nkg copper... I've tried all the fancy plugs.. no difference.

ascensions
Member Avatar
Je conduis une petite voiture.

snowfish
Nov 4 2013, 05:31 PM
Quote:

some copper NGKs, and side-gap them

And you've done this? :news
Yes, but not in the Metro, yet.

I never tracked if it actually improved MPG, as the vehicle it was performed in wasn't a fuel efficient vehicle (but it did change the way it ran, considerably for the better).

Based on that SR20 thread, I'm inclined to try it eventually on my Metro.... but I need to buy a new Dremel if I do.... and I just paid $400 for a class next semester..... so it's not on my current-to-do list, but moved to the eventually-to-do-list.

I'd love to see someone here try.

I do believe it's a better alternative than $10 novelty plugs.

Frozen_Joker
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
NGK! All the way. I used copper Champions cause that is my spark plug of choice on my american motors. But I didn't pay attention and brain farted....I am working on a JAP motor. NGK everytime for any japanese motor. Works like a charm. :)

heckling7

$2.50 a plug was my line. NGK v-power fit the bill as of late. The standard OEM sub $2 NGK lasted me nearly 30k prior. I may try the G-power the next 30k

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply