Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
look out XFI cam here comes XFIII custom cam pix
Topic Started: Nov 6 2013, 11:56 PM (12,160 Views)
ZXTjato
Member Avatar
bass heads

All this talk on mpg and such....I get 39-40 mpg on a 4:39 trans 12" wheels and driving like it's stolen, shifting at high rpm and 85-90 on the free ways. Makes me wonder if I drove 55 mph could I get 41.5 mpg??? Honestly i want a cam because it sounds fun. Spend money to have fun. Not spend to save....that's just me :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

:popcorn

HelterSkelter
Member Avatar
#1 Pizza Driver

as long as the lobe isn't pointed enough to create enough pressure to break through the oil film the engine will be fine. most good oils are good on film strength up to the 100k psi range, quite a lot of pressure needed to break it.

3tech
Member Avatar

j63812f
Nov 25 2013, 12:22 PM
For what its worth, I just sent a stock 16 valve cam and paid to have it evaulated by crower, and here are the specs right from their machine.

Intake Duration 173 Degs, Lift 206
Exhaust Duration 177 Degs, Lift 195
Lobe separation 110 Degs

The factory did a dual profile on this one. I use this cam with a 4 deg advance and feel a noticeable difference in low end response.
You could have saved your money. I've posted the specs on that cam a number of times. Free.

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

Mike knows his shit. He has been in this game for a long time.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Geo Glenn
Member Avatar
What's in your engine?

j63812f
For what its worth, I just sent a stock 16 valve cam and paid to have it evaulated by crower, and here are the specs right from their machine.

Lobe separation 110 Degs

The factory did a dual profile on this one. I use this cam with a 4 deg advance and feel a noticeable difference in low end response.

As far as the 3 cylinder, Ive spent alot of $$ to try multiple 'sub XFI' profiles. There is no perfect profile, but for sure there are better profiles available than the XFI which is why Mike is going to all this trouble. Hes definitley not trying to make any money, just trying to make a better cam AVAILABLE to people in here that want it. If the lobe shapes are gonna ruin the engine, then why are THREE companies making them?? Ive had one of these 'pointed' lobe cams in my engine for thousands of miles, and my cylinder head and lifters have 275k original miles on them. I think everyone is blowing this WAY out of proportion, no offense, but its just a 55hp 6 valve engine for petes sake, its not a freakin porsche! Theres only so much that this thing is ever gonna do without a turbo, higher CR, or MPI. Just sayin.

clarkdw
Nov 24 2013, 10:12 PM
As I said, It's all out there. Mostly posted by 3Tech Mike.

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=21867&start=0

Quote:

For comparison, stock profiles are

Lift/Duration at .050"

85-87 1.0/3cyl 330L /192D
89-01 1.0/3cyl 330 /198
GT Int 295L/192D Ex295L /198D
Cultus In 305/L192 Ex305/D198
1.3 8V 330L/192D
1.3 16V SOHC 308L/184D
1.6 8V 356L/202D
1.6 16V In 308L/192D Ex308L/198D

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/mystery-metro-camshaft-grind-23313.html

Quote:

302 lift/182 duration are the XFi cam numbers I got from 3tech. His economy cam is very similar.
3 Tech Performance
3tech

3tech
Nov 25 2013, 09:16 PM
j63812f

Lobe separation 110 Degs

You could have saved your money. I've posted the specs on that cam a number of times.

Either j63812f got a defective camshaft from the factory, or, Crower has absolutely no idea what the hell they're doing, or the information posted by 3Tech several times about the 16 valve G13 camshaft has been wrong every time.

:hmm

3tech
Member Avatar

It's none of those things. It's specialization.

The problem is that they measured that cam the same way that they would measure a small block chevy cam, and different applications require different methods.
There is no way that they can know how every cam will be installed, nor is there any reasonable way that they can measure it in it's final application, and provide the real numbers.

Yes, that is what the lobe is showing on their equipment, but there's a reason why OHC and OHV cams are measured and reported differently, and this is it. What the lobe is, and how it degrees out on a test jig, or cam doctor and how it degrees out installed are two completely different things. I could write a whole page on the geometries of a G series valvetrain and how it affects lobe requirements and measurements. It's critically important on an OHC. If you used those numbers and tried to spec out a custom grind based on them, you'd be chasing your tail. I've spent a lot of development time on this particular application, and done a lot of business with race teams in India who have been down this road with a few of the large custom grinders.

I've been saying it for a long time because it's important. When we develop something, it's 100% application specific. With OHC, there is no other way to do it properly.

clarkdw
Member Avatar

Not very often have I seen a cam with less than 180 duration and I think that I can be pretty sure that less than 200 thou lift would be rather unusual as well. Those numbers are wonky for sure.

j63812f
Member Avatar
J R

Here it is. Stock 16 valve 1.3 cam specs direct from Crower. No guessing or reading posts with differing numbers.

Posted Image

Edited by j63812f, Nov 26 2013, 02:31 PM.

dalebolger
[ *  * ]
This spring when I rebuilt my 93 1.0 I am using this cam for my hill runner my goal is a 70 MPG car. When we start the rebuild/restore the photos will start. I will be working with mike on the parts and specs, the car will be built at my shop in Fontana, CA.

Dale

3tech
Member Avatar

j63812f
Nov 26 2013, 02:30 PM
Here it is. Stock 16 valve 1.3 cam specs direct from Crower. No guessing or reading posts with differing numbers.

You should have saved your money. For the reasons listed above, those numbers (with the exception of the lobe lift) are essentially meaningless. There are also a few mistakes on the sheet as well.

Coyote X

What is wrong with the numbers and what are the mistakes?

z34-5speed
Member Avatar
Formerly "Tech Certified"

I believe Mike was saying that they measured the cam as if it were for an OHV configuration when in fact it's an OHC setup.

Not talking for Mike, that's just how I read what he was saying.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

socal geo garage
Member Avatar

We have cams in .. here are two of them xfIII stage two and super eco cam II they made a few changes to the intake of the xfIII rounded the intake lobe more.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by socal geo garage, Nov 27 2013, 01:04 AM.

Coche Blanco
Member Avatar
Troll Certified

The bullshit is getting deep in this thread. No one is going to get rich on anything Metro related, why are we even bothering with this debate? Spill the beans already.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Geo Metro Lounge · Next Topic »
Add Reply