Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Cheekyta gets Boost.; Supercharging my G10 Vert.
Topic Started: Nov 28 2013, 08:50 PM (12,107 Views)
clarkdw

Many of you have seen Cheekyta, my 93 vert in my sig. Here she is when I first got her.

Posted Image

Since then I have added seats from a GT.

Posted Image

I added a race ported cylinder head and 222/365 3Tech cam.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wheels, GT swaybars, front and rear, cut GT springs and kyb shocks. Here is how she looks now.

Posted Image

Cheekyta is a southern U.S. transplant that has led a pampered life. No rust and only 62k miles when I got her. Now about 78k miles and runs better than new.

Well having been in racing and around modified cars all my life I couldn't leave well enough alone. With 3Tech Mike pushing me on I decided to up the ante a little. I could have found a turbo 3 drivetrain and done a swap but that is just not me. I have always taken the road less traveled so when I saw a small supercharger on ebay I mulled it over for a little while, talked to Mike and then made the plunge.

Here it is. 0.5 litres/rev, maximum continuous 16k rpm, max intermittent 18k rpm. Perfect for what I want and very compact.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This supercharger was available in the Nissan March Super Turbo in 1989. It had both super and turbo charging on a 930cc 4 cyl engine. and was rated at about 110 hp. This is what it looked like. Thanks to http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/HERITAGE/march_super_turbo.html for the pic and information.

Posted Image

This is likely to be a long term project as I have to do it as funds and time become available. Doing the cylinder heads for 3Tech takes up much of my downtime. I will keep plugging away at it. I hope to keep Cheekyta summer drivable till the project is ready to bolt on.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Stiffchezze
Member Avatar
Sir Metrologist

:drool
What did you give for it? :popcorn

clarkdw

I got a lot more accomplished on the project than I ever thought I would today.

I spent some time earlier this year trying to figure out a mounting method for the supercharger. I saw an A/C compressor mount in a pic here on GMF and though that I might be able to adapt the mount to fit the supercharger. Unfortunately, there are very, very few, if any, A/C equipped cars here in Ontario. You just don't need it in an econobox here.

Well, I put a wanted post on GMF and our good friend Geo Glenn offered me an A/C mount at a ridiculously low price. Did I tell you what a great guy he is? :D

Here's the mount. It has all the hardware and an idler with good bearing. Did I mention that GG is a super guy?

Posted Image

So I bolted the mount to the block I will be using for the engine build going in to Cheekyta just to see how it fits.

Well I thought that the supercharger looked like it might fit ok so I bolted it to the mount and checked the alignment of the pullies. A straight edge clamped to the crankshaft pulley showed that the supercharger is out of alignment by one groove width. Literally, looks like it was designed to fit on. I could run it as is using a three groove belt. It will be a very simple matter to machine the mount and supercharger the small amount required to fit a four groove belt. The belt length is the same as the alternator belt so that is easy to find.

Here is the supercharger test mounted to the front of the bare block with crank and pulley for test fit. I installed the front engine mount to check for clearance. I will cut and modify the top tab on the A/C bracket to allow the supercharger to move even closer to the engine mount bracket.

Posted Image

As I said, the alignment is very close. I need to move the blower forward about 0.200" to get it perfect. That is the discharge tube facing up beside the engine mount. The inlet is facing forward. Mechanically mounting the supercharger could not be easier. The A/C bracket and blower were made for each other.

Posted Image

I dug around in my spares to find a double pulley to drive the blower. Cheekyta currently is running an underdrive single pulley. I will be switching the engine over to 93-95 round tooth cam sprockets for a number of reasons. First to give me a commonality between Cheekyta and Littlest Hobo. I can keep a spare timing belt that will work on either car. The second reason is that I have modified Littlest Hobo's cam sprocket for adjustability and would like to do the same for this engine. The stamped steel sprocket is just not as easy to mod that way. Maybe a how-to when I do the next cam sprocket? I have no pics of when I did the last and I am too lazy to tear the sprocket off for that.

I found two five bolt crankshaft pullies that I can use. One will give me approx 1.5 ovedrive on the blower and the other will be about 1.7. I will start out with the 1.5 till I get fuelling and controls worked out and then maybe try the larger one to see what kind of power it will give.

Posted Image

Before fitting this all to the block it went in to the ultrasonic cleaner for a clean up and prep for fitting new pistons and other goodies. I can't fit the block completely in the cleaner but I can flip it and get the whole thing squeaky clean.

Posted Image

clarkdw

Stiffchezze
Nov 28 2013, 09:23 PM
:drool
What did you give for it? :popcorn
It was just under $300 shipped.

Stiffchezze
Member Avatar
Sir Metrologist

Not bad! :thumb
My first thought was the a/c bracket (great minds and all ;) ) but the more I look, maybe move the alternator to the a/c bracket and the supercharger to the alternator location?

May not be worth the trouble, but the mount closest to the pulley on the supercharger looks just like the alternator mount. :hmm
Maybe use the CS130 bracket?

Is it turning the right direction? :popcorn :popcorn

ZXTjato
Member Avatar
bass heads

Wow, what people do to the geo is amazing. Campers, turbo cars, mpg cars, sport cars, racers and now supercharged...amazing car

2000Firefly1.3L
Member Avatar

this will be a sweet project. i would like to buy it as a kit later if you decide to take it off some day.

clarkdw

Stiffchezze
Nov 29 2013, 12:02 AM
Not bad! :thumb
My first thought was the a/c bracket (great minds and all ;) ) but the more I look, maybe move the alternator to the a/c bracket and the supercharger to the alternator location?

May not be worth the trouble, but the mount closest to the pulley on the supercharger looks just like the alternator mount. :hmm
Maybe use the CS130 bracket?

Is it turning the right direction? :popcorn :popcorn
Not quite enough room where the alternator is for the SC. I am planning on using an intercooler so the piping will have to run to the front anyway so it is probably better up there.

It is turning the correct direction.
Edited by clarkdw, Nov 29 2013, 12:37 AM.

tonsofun1223
Member Avatar
Round One
[ *  *  *  * ]
i like where your head is.. I was building my motor to turbo it but now... may be using your idea soon.

razr769
Member Avatar
Got boost?

Love it! Glad to see this project getting off the ground. Keep it up Clark!

CAMI MAN
Member Avatar
CUSTODIAN OF THE MR.SUZUKI CONVERTIBLE

Very interesting and different :thumb
I am looking forward to follow your build :cheers
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Turbo Dan-O
Member Avatar
Obsessive Car Detailer

Cool stuff Clark! Any plans for the injection/tuning? :popcorn

metromizer

That's a perfect location for the li'l huffer, as the air-air intercooler can mount just in front of it, keeping the intake tract nice and short.

Love this project :popcorn

If you haven't already thought about it, consider upgrading your springs, or shimming them a little tighter for more seat pressure.

clarkdw

razr769
Nov 29 2013, 10:20 AM
Love it! Glad to see this project getting off the ground. Keep it up Clark!

Thanks Andrew. You'll have to stop by when you are back in town. You know the door is always open for you.

CAMI MAN
Nov 29 2013, 10:28 AM
Very interesting and different :thumb
I am looking forward to follow your build :cheers

You're only 25 min away. When I get it fired up we can get together and compare rides. Yours is awful nice as well. I nearly grabbed your GT when you sold it but that would have meant selling the vert and i couldn't do that.

Turbo Dan-O
Nov 29 2013, 10:44 AM
Cool stuff Clark! Any plans for the injection/tuning? :popcorn

For a start I am doing a blow-thru with basically a stock TB but 3Tech Mike has a few tricks to make that work a little better. An FMU is probably in the works as well to help fueling. Our emissions tests mean that whatever I do must be able to be sniffed every two years so I have to be careful getting too carried away with changes. I don't mind changing a cam and a few things to pass but I don't want to have to rebuild the whole car to get thru.

clarkdw

metromizer
Nov 29 2013, 12:17 PM
That's a perfect location for the li'l huffer, as the air-air intercooler can mount just in front of it, keeping the intake tract nice and short.

Love this project :popcorn

If you haven't already thought about it, consider upgrading your springs, or shimming them a little tighter for more seat pressure.
The location is, as you say, perfect. The inlet facing forward and lots of room for a intercooler with no A/C. I might have to go to a small oil filter or a remote mounted one but that is no biggie.

On the valve springs I have it covered. I am currently testing a replacement valve spring for the G10 in Littlest Hobo. Keep an eye for a 3Tech announcement on that soon. There is some interesting information on the history of valve springs from the factory that Geo Glenn and I discovered.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Project Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply