Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
May finally need to take the head off - head gasket
Topic Started: Jan 19 2014, 04:31 PM (3,636 Views)
JellyBeanDriver

Think I have an intermittent head gasket leak only under long WOT events. First noticed it about 6 months ago climbing a pretty bad grade. The next morning the coolant reservoir was nearly overflowing and the radiator was low. Been checking it now and again and with our mild weather the reservoir has been normal and the radiator full.

Did some spirited driving yesterday AND ran the AC and this morning when cold the radiator level was low - core tubes exposed, and the reservoir full. Put the fluid back into the radiator and just headed out on a run, up a long grade. Got home and the reservoir tank was full. Removed cap when hot and again the tubes on the radiator is exposed.

Will rent a pressure tester but thinking I have a head gasket that needs to be replaced.
Edited by JellyBeanDriver, Jan 19 2014, 04:39 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

truckjohn

Could be a coolant tube O-ring or some similar suction side leak too...

Stiffchezze
Member Avatar
Sir Metrologist

:O NOOOOOOO! :O
Ok, IF your going to do it, LOTS AND LOTS of Pics! :popcorn

JellyBeanDriver

truckjohn
Jan 19 2014, 04:40 PM
Late this afternoon I did the same trip, up the same grade, driving the car the same way as earlier today. Got to my destination, popped the hood and the coolant level in the reservoir was normal.

I've never replaced the o-ring on the water pump tube - certainly worth a try. And if this is as bad as it gets, I may just live with it.

Oh yeah, there is a combustion gases tester I can rent from Autozone - I'll give that a try too.

Glenn, here's comes a PM for some o-rings!

Deleted User
Deleted User

JellyBeanDriver
Jan 19 2014, 10:45 PM
truckjohn
Jan 19 2014, 04:40 PM
Late this afternoon I did the same trip, up the same grade, driving the car the same way as earlier today. Got to my destination, popped the hood and the coolant level in the reservoir was normal.

I've never replaced the o-ring on the water pump tube - certainly worth a try. And if this is as bad as it gets, I may just live with it.

Oh yeah, there is a combustion gases tester I can rent from Autozone - I'll give that a try too.

Glenn, here's comes a PM for some o-rings!

I'll get some packed and in the mail on Tuesday.

Quote Post Goto Top

JellyBeanDriver

Geo Glenn
Jan 20 2014, 12:46 AM

PM sent

Deleted User
Deleted User

JellyBeanDriver
Jan 20 2014, 01:28 AM
Geo Glenn
Jan 20 2014, 12:46 AM

PM sent
Try again. PM failure.

Quote Post Goto Top

JellyBeanDriver

Well it's looking more like a head gasket. Remember I said I took the same trip and this time the reservoir looked good?
This morning before I went to work I checked the radiator and it was very low. I refilled it using what was in the reservoir (love the fact I can blow into the overflow tube on the reservoir and push fluid from it into the radiator.)

After doing this the reservoir was nearly empty. So over the weekend, going up Conejo grade 2X used up half a reservoir tank of coolant. No leaks that I can see.

Tonight I'll see how much it uses after 1 day of commuting.

Debating what to do. Don't want much downtime so I'm tempted to ONLY do the headgasket and on the side find a rebuildable motor and prep it for an eventual need.

Glenn, I'll send you another PM. Still going to want to do the o-rings anyways.
Edited by JellyBeanDriver, Jan 20 2014, 10:30 AM.

JellyBeanDriver

Geo Glenn
Jan 20 2014, 01:52 AM
Try again. PM failure.

Let me know if you got it this time.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Got it.
Quote Post Goto Top

JellyBeanDriver

Drove 100 miles yesterday. No steep grade, no WOT driving needed, no high RPM's (other than cruising on the freeway doing 70).

Abnormal amount of coolant did not push into the reservoir. Couldn't tell if any was consumed.

Gasket set on order. I did also buy a rebuilt head off Ebay from a shop in Spokane WA. As much as I wanted to hit 500K on my original unopened engine and original valves, the appeal of less labor to de-carbon the head and scraping the gasket off and maybe a tad more performance pushed me over.
Edited by JellyBeanDriver, Jan 21 2014, 01:00 PM.

Hanuman
"The Almighty Grounds Cleaner"

nooooo! stay with it jbd....join the 500,000 club! i doubt there are any unopened geo's there.

truckjohn

Why not do a compression test....
It would tell you something useful....

You could also do a compressed air "Leakdown" test....

Bubbles blowing out your rad is a pretty convincing result...

JellyBeanDriver

truckjohn
Jan 22 2014, 04:48 PM
Why not do a compression test....
It would tell you something useful....

You could also do a compressed air "Leakdown" test....

Bubbles blowing out your rad is a pretty convincing result...
I'm already convinced it's the head gasket. Every morning I now manually put fluid from my coolant reservoir tank back into the radiator as my daily 100 mile commute pushes the fluid over but doesn't suck it back in. If I take a whiff of the radiator before I do this, it doesn't smell like coolant.

For completeness however (as long as laziness doesn't take over) I do plan on taking a compression test dry and wet before the head comes off, and then after the new head goes on.

Before this event, with all these miles I was burning 1 qt of oil every 2000 miles, blowby is still low enough to not overwhelm the PCV system (air cleaner not wet with any oil), and smooth idle and running. Hope after refreshing the top end that it doesn't turn into an oil burner.

Deleted User
Deleted User

A compression test of an engine that uses a quart of oil every 2,000 miles and otherwise runs well is a complete waste of time.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply