Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Battle of the 3 Bangers - Detroit News; GeoMetroForum in news article
Topic Started: Sep 7 2014, 08:54 AM (5,510 Views)
Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Fear the Mullet

Detroit news did an article called "Battle of the 3 Bangers" and the article mentioned and linked GeoMetroforum.com and the reporter interacted with member mjspiess to get the story......................

Posted Image

"Geo Metro owners are a proud lot. Like the Dwarves in Tolkein’s Hobbit, they are a close tribe fiercely protective of their cars and three-cylinder artisanship. They are dismissive of pretenders — ahem, like the Mirage and Smart — that fail to live up to the three’s fuel efficiency potential. The 1.0-liter Smart gets only 36 mpg? Amateur.

They give the new Fiesta more respect.

I contacted the Michigan clan through the online Geo Metro Forum. My offer to reciprocate driving a Geo Metro for the Fiesta was met with much enthusiasm. The Metroids are intrigued by a 1-liter that aspires to the Holy Grail of 50 mpg while also promising performance — a strange concept in the remote, Middle Earth realm of three-bangers."

READ ENTIRE ARTICLE AT LINK................

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/2014/08/28/battle-of-the-three-bangers-14-ford-fiesta-vs-95-geo-metro/14719791/
Edited by Johnny Mullet, Dec 18 2014, 04:34 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Murf 59
Member Avatar

Its a good article, well written. And full of crap. Huge props for our friend mjspiess for doing this. One thing the guy got wrong in the article our Metros were made up into 2001. And I think he should make the comparison against a Metro that came with the 3 cly turbo. Now I understand that the new Ford would probably win the contest still. After all the article is written about the Ford. But it was not run off against a car capable of beating it. I think our friend T3ragtop has cars that I think would hold its own. Sorry I am frustrated and have a hard time typing and making sense as it is, let alone when I am bummed out.

t3ragtop
Member Avatar
Turbo3 and Twincam Tweaker

thanks for the kind words murf. ;)

i build my suzuki cars because i like them, not so much for making them compete with a newer car model. my cars are just old "built in my driveway" projects and could never match up to a car designed and manufactured by a company who builds millions of cars.

my rich uncle friend dale just bought one of the new ford svt cars and he loves it. maybe after he has the break in mileage done he can race me. :P

punkozuna
Member Avatar

I liked the article - thought it was fun, informative and fair.Of course it wasn't a true head-to-head comparison and was never meant to be. Henry did a good and fair job of representing us and comparing our cars to a modern car that costs much more (even adjusted for inflation). You couldn't have asked for any better representation than we got from Matt. :thumb for Matt. I tried to leave a comment but don't have a facebook account to sign in with so I'll leave it below in case Henry looks in on us:

"Thanks for a nice comparison Henry. We loved having you on geometroforum.com. No doubt that time and technology marches on. Would I consider a Fiesta in the future? You bet but I still have at least another 100k miles on my Metro before it becomes an issue."

mjspiess
Member Avatar

Mr Murf 59
Sep 7 2014, 11:42 AM
Its a good article, well written. And full of crap. Huge props for our friend mjspiess for doing this. One thing the guy got wrong in the article our Metros were made up into 2001. And I think he should make the comparison against a Metro that came with the 3 cly turbo. Now I understand that the new Ford would probably win the contest still. After all the article is written about the Ford. But it was not run off against a car capable of beating it. I think our friend T3ragtop has cars that I think would hold its own. Sorry I am frustrated and have a hard time typing and making sense as it is, let alone when I am bummed out.

I told him the 3 cylinder ended in 2000, so that's why he said that. 2001 only offered the 1.3 four cylinder which we weren't concerned about. As far as the article goes, it would be pointless to compare the 1.0T Fiesta to a 1.0T Metro...at least in the US, since 1.0T Metros were not offered in the US. However, it'd be a fun race to watch. Before I tuned my Cruze Eco, I think the Fiesta would have given it a great match.
t3ragtop
Sep 7 2014, 02:38 PM
thanks for the kind words murf. ;)

i build my suzuki cars because i like them, not so much for making them compete with a newer car model. my cars are just old "built in my driveway" projects and could never match up to a car designed and manufactured by a company who builds millions of cars.

my rich uncle friend dale just bought one of the new ford svt cars and he loves it. maybe after he has the break in mileage done he can race me. :P

Henry did ask about you because he saw a couple people reference your rides. That's when I informed him there was a turbo 1.0 "Metro", but only sold in Canada. He was intrigued, but not really interested in regards to the article he planned on writing.
punkozuna
Sep 7 2014, 04:06 PM
I liked the article - thought it was fun, informative and fair.Of course it wasn't a true head-to-head comparison and was never meant to be. Henry did a good and fair job of representing us and comparing our cars to a modern car that costs much more (even adjusted for inflation). You couldn't have asked for any better representation than we got from Matt. :thumb for Matt. I tried to leave a comment but don't have a facebook account to sign in with so I'll leave it below in case Henry looks in on us:

"Thanks for a nice comparison Henry. We loved having you on geometroforum.com. No doubt that time and technology marches on. Would I consider a Fiesta in the future? You bet but I still have at least another 100k miles on my Metro before it becomes an issue."

I really liked the article as well. Couldn't wipe the smile from my face as I read through it. He certainly has a way with words and keeps the reader entertained. Thanks for the kind words. It was a lot of fun and would love to do it again with other 3 bangers out there like the Mirage which I mentioned to him :)

CAMI MAN
Member Avatar
(( CAMI Automotive )) Team Member

I think that just the fact of the Geo Metro still being mentioned and compared to a modern technological advanced Automobile is a compliment to the Geo Metro .
It shows its reliability and simplicity has stood up to the test of time. :thumb

Murf 59
Member Avatar

Don't forget the Subaru Justy. It holds the record at Bonneville I have been chasing. 124+ mph. It was a factory prepped, and supported car.

TheWanzekTwin
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
punkozuna
Sep 7 2014, 04:06 PM

:gp :+1 Geo Metros for life!

jacques kruseo
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Good Times! Great read. Nice they pulled in an expert on it. Go mjspiess!

LesCrapp
Member Avatar
Legend

My goodness look how big the front end is on that Ford it is almost the size of the metro from just the windshield down!!!

Metromightymouse
Member Avatar
Powdercoat Wizard

I'm sorry but the stolen Aston Martin nose just doesn't work very well on a small car.

nathan298
Member Avatar
Geo Resurrector

Posted Image

Now somebody loan me a Swift GT so I can do a battle of the 4 bangers :D

yiffzer
Forgot His Manpurse

I thought it was a fair and pleasant article! The large nose of the Fiesta is just part of the safety and aerodynamic fit.

I think that it would be even more fair to compare the 94 and older tuned model to the Fiesta and not only that, set it up with all the aerodynamic mods that the Fiesta already has.

I think that would've turned some heads at that point!

dayle1960
Member Avatar
Fastest Hampster EVER

GMF represent in'.

I think the Boss ought to get a pat on the back. He started GMF and is still the inspiration for this site.

mjspiess
Member Avatar

I was going through some old pictures and realized I never uploaded these from the Detroit Auto Show last year. These are pictures of the 1.0T in the Fiesta.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Headline News · Next Topic »
Add Reply