Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Rear Lateral Rod Bushing Worn Out - What to get?
Topic Started: Jan 28 2015, 07:33 PM (1,963 Views)
cwatkin

I was shown today that mine are worn out. It is this part: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Geo-GM-OEM-92-94-Metro-Rear-Suspension-Lateral-Rod-96066546-/121348388691?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AGeo%7CModel%3AMetro&hash=item1c40ed7753&vxp=mtr

Anyone have a suggestion on what is the best way to proceed. I need two. I guess there is no just replacing the bushing and sleeve.

Conor
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

don_dowdy
Member Avatar

The bushing doesn't come out. If your car is rusty, neither do the bolts. Seriously, it could go well and not be a big deal. Switch out the two rods and get a rear wheel alignment. The two bolts in the middle have an off-centered washer welded on and are turned to adjust the alignment. Don't break them, they are hard to get. The sleeve tends to be rusted to the bolts. $125 seems a bit steep, maybe shop around for a better price?

t3ragtop
Member Avatar
Turbo3 and Twincam Tweaker

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=54833

Highwayman
Member Avatar

If you need parts for a Geo but cant find any thing at RockAuto; look up suzuki swift instead. rear toe bars for swift are between 9 dollars and 38 dollars depending on which one you want. I suspect the Suzuki ones are the same.
Edited by Highwayman, Jan 28 2015, 09:05 PM.

Highwayman
Member Avatar

So if you want parts for a 91 Geo look up parts for a 91 swift.some parts are the same, some arent.

Highwayman
Member Avatar

I have contemplated making those rear toe bars out of stainless steel ready strut like the electricians at work use to hang conduit and electrical panels on. I used a piece to mount a trailer ball under the back of my Geo and it worked fine. The stainless stuff is definitely beefier.
Edited by Highwayman, Jan 28 2015, 09:13 PM.

Woodie
Member Avatar

Holy Mackerel, $107?

That should be the price for a six pack of them.

As T3ragtop pointed out, you can get the super tricked out custom race version for $130 a pair.

cwatkin

I don't need racing ones but may get them if I can't find the part for a decent price elsewhere. I went to Rockauto and found bushing kits. Since these have non-replaceable bushings, I guess these are for something else???

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

COnor

Woodie
Member Avatar

Rock Auto shows this for $25:

Posted Image

MOOG part # SZTC4440

Found it by looking under Suzuki Swift

Edited by Woodie, Jan 30 2015, 04:54 AM.

rjsdotorg
Member Avatar
R E Member

I think I paid $9 for each of mine
http://geometroforum.com/single/?p=953641&t=4988809
aftermarketsuspensionparts.com

brsja
Member Avatar

I haven't used them myself, but copied this link from another thread a while back.

Bolt
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Murf 59
Member Avatar

t3ragtop
Jan 28 2015, 08:13 PM
These are the ones I run on my daily driver. Love them. And they were about the same $ as the stock units. The nice thing about the alum ones, they are not going to wear out the bushings. You do this once. They don't flex like the ones with rubber bushings either. :thumb
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

t3ragtop
Member Avatar

no matter what, even if you think that you don't drive your car hard enough to notice a problem, the stock rear toe bars allow the rear wheels to go so far out of alignment that you almost may as well not consider your rear suspension to be in alignment. :P

this goes double for any of you guys who tow a trailer, no matter how light it is.

you may not think you need the "racing" parts - you do! the oem parts are so lousy that even new toe arms suck.

i have checked all this out using a g force meter and some really hard competitive auto cross driving. having driven suzuki variants that were set up correctly i can feel those flat stamped oem bars flex in corners during normal and "sedate" driving and it upsets me to no end! :P

but, cheap is king with youse guys. :P like the song says, "never seen hearse with a trailer hitch." turn loose of some of that long green and spend it on your car. :D

sphenicie

just recently replaced mine with the MOOG's, and just as Woodie said....$25 apiece.

I did replace the bushings on Barney when I did the hub conversion. I got the whiteline poly bushings for that project. I would suspect that you could damn near get all the rear bushings from whiteline for about $125.

t3ragtop
Member Avatar

there is a new option for those who want a stronger toe rod but aren't comfortable with the spherical rod ends.

dethbrd, over at teamswift, has a new design that uses polyurethane bushings on the ends with a double ended adjuster with locking nuts in the center of the tubular rod.

look at the last post of the thread for pics.
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=59384

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Suspension/Steering/Alignment · Next Topic »
Add Reply