Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Any Ham radio guys in the house?
Topic Started: Jun 26 2015, 06:27 PM (924 Views)
dayle1960
Member Avatar
Fastest Hampster EVER

I'm "thinking" about delving into Ham radio in a very small way. Anybody got experiences, websites, feedback which you care to share?

Thanks
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mt999999
Member Avatar
Self-Declared "Genious"

I've always wanted to try it, partially because I am into radio, especially AM long distance radio. Never actually got around to doing it. I even got a reciever for my car one year as a present, but never used it. The guy that used to own my house was way into ham radio. His calls were "K8JEZ". I've got it memorized because it was written on the inside of every wall he drywalled, and I gutted alot of the house. You know that call is old because they haven't used K to start the calls on my side of the Mississippi in decades. Unfortuately, most of the equiptment he left in the house was stolen before I got to it, but I will get into it one day. Let us know how it goes!

Car Nut
Member Avatar

My dad used to have an old Hallicrafters tube type 5 band receiver when I was a kid. Used to listen to it at night, different countries & such. He once received a "Q" card in the mail from somebody in Checoslovocia. I also remember hearing a lot of morse code on some of the channels.
Edited by Car Nut, Jun 26 2015, 10:37 PM.

t3ragtop
Member Avatar
Turbo3 and Twincam Tweaker

i got into cb radio back before the truckers ruined it. i had to learn the calls, morse code, pay $5 for my federally issued license, etc. that was in the late 60s/ early 70s. by the mid 70s i had moved to amateur radio with a ham license and a class c radio license so i could run microwave frequency stuff.

i ran a lot of ship to shore world broadcasting to do relay telephone calls for our service men. i'd have to do a quick session with the wives to et them to end their sentences with "over" so i could unkey the microphone manually.

by the 80s i was running my own automated repeater and i could access phone services from my mobile radio. i was also able to set up radio based connection for my ibm portable computer to connect to my home based server (before it was actually called a server.) by the 90s i was running slow scan tv, running some space radio relays, and getting into microwave regime satellite stuff.

so, if you are interested in ham radio you first need to bone up for the test which used to be a mix of electronics and broadcasting rules. learning morse code is a basic requisite but there's a lot more needed to obtain your license.

get ready to spend some cash, too. good radios and antennae are expensive items. :gamerz

Spud
Member Avatar

KC5SRY...

Car Nut
Member Avatar

KWQ4811 My old cb license. Surprised I can still remember it.

Silver2K

Communications is my field, but I never tried ham radio. I did buy the ARRL handbook once. It is an awesome resource if you are interested in how stuff works or want to build your own.

An ex coworker in California was involved in setting up some remote system in Arizona or Texas. When he was bored at work he would put on his head phones, log in through the internet and start listening in. He could control the system from our office. The amazing aspect to me was the system had a very high speed ADC board plugged into an regular PC. Most of the demodulation and channel separation was done in software on the PC. The software showed the spectrum as a function of time. And as signals popped up he could move the mouse, click on a signal, and start listening to a conversation. I consider that setup very advanced, As an engineer it is amazing to me how much technology has advanced in the last 30 years.

Potter
Member Avatar
Col. Potter

KK4ZBC here... its a fun hobby

mt999999
Member Avatar
Self-Declared "Genious"

Silver2K
Jun 27 2015, 10:38 AM
Communications is my field, but I never tried ham radio. I did buy the ARRL handbook once. It is an awesome resource if you are interested in how stuff works or want to build your own.

An ex coworker in California was involved in setting up some remote system in Arizona or Texas. When he was bored at work he would put on his head phones, log in through the internet and start listening in. He could control the system from our office. The amazing aspect to me was the system had a very high speed ADC board plugged into an regular PC. Most of the demodulation and channel separation was done in software on the PC. The software showed the spectrum as a function of time. And as signals popped up he could move the mouse, click on a signal, and start listening to a conversation. I consider that setup very advanced, As an engineer it is amazing to me how much technology has advanced in the last 30 years.
The guy that owned my house, who was very into ham radio, was way old school. Lots of old vacuum tube electronics and the like. The big antenna pole was left in my house, but the rest of the stuff was stolen or whatever. He "left" me a big box of old vacuum tubes. Most of them were likely bad, just laying loose. I'll have to run them through my tube tester one day.

mt999999
Member Avatar
Self-Declared "Genious"

Quote:

I'm "thinking" about delving into Ham radio in a very small way. Anybody got experiences, websites, feedback which you care to share?

Thanks

Let us know how the "ham" radio adventure goes! Seems to be a dying art these days.
Edited by mt999999, Jun 29 2015, 08:31 PM.

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

N3YEZ

great time to get into ham radio. my god my first hand held single band radio cost me $400 used and that was a great deal.

Now you can buy a 2M 440 dual band baofeng radio that is wicked as all hell for $25 to $30 on amazon prime shipped. just buy a good antennae for it the included one is junk.

amazing. I have 3 :-)

JellyBeanDriver

Add me to the list. Had a technician's license back in 2000 but let it expire. Just retook the tests this past weekend and got my new call sign today.

AI6VX

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

ahh old post.
Edited by nerys, Mar 22 2017, 12:28 AM.

JoeBob
Member Avatar
Why you Mutt!

OK...I see this is an old post, but it's too early and much too late, and I can't go to sleep even though I need to, so I'll chime in.

Started off 1971 with a shiny new Novice ticket -- WN6FQL. About a year and a half later, I went down to the Federal Building in LA, paid my $9.00 (back in those days they charged you to take the test), and upgraded to Advanced class with an upgraded call...WB6FQL. 45 years later, I still have that same call. Don't get on the air very often...seems like every time I try, that's when my wife needs me for something. She also kinda resents it if I put on headphones, even though I prefer them to a speaker when working CW, my preferred mode.

Just for fun, here's a picture of my original rig...if I dig around old pictures more, I might find a picture of my 15 year old self at the desk.

Posted Image

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

I only said that because I posted to it without realizing I was already the second to last post and could not delete the post :-)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Geo Metro Lounge · Next Topic »
Add Reply