Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
$100 metro; 94 Geo metro
Topic Started: Oct 10 2015, 11:23 PM (2,711 Views)
Stubby79
Member Avatar

DesmondGhostRider
Oct 16 2015, 07:47 PM
its the water pump. Went and picked up a spare and gonna swap it out tomorrow. :D
Seized? Or propeller disintegrated? (if they're plastic)
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DesmondGhostRider
Member Avatar

Wasn't water pump, however upon changing the water pump we found that the cam seal was bad and swapped it out.

Turned out to be a clog in one of the hoses. I should have thought to check that, but i completely forgot :/ Blaming it on the meds or the w.

We had to remove the timing cover bc it was too damaged :c I dont know if I have any extras or not. If not we can cut it to just have the bottom part so we can still use a timing light.

Right now shes idling at 800rpm and everything is looking good.

Whats left?
Deep inside clean
Carpet install
Floor plug install (missing one)

Car was wrecked at some point and the damage on that seems to be limited to the front passenger fender and the A-Arm is bent towards the rear of the car.

It drives well enough at slow speeds, but you can tell its bent at about 50mph

So swap out the A-Arm

Brake and rotor replacement
Brake fluid change

--

Swapped out the TCM and it shifts from 1st to 3rd now. It tires for 2nd but it only workes at high rpm which is kinda weird. Since it didnt work at all when we started we are going to let it be for now and hope it comes back. Might look into a cleaner or something we can put into it

--

Lots of progress

Switching to working on a Tracker for the day. Might do some cleaning on her Monday. Once its all cleaned up I'll upload some beauty shots. Not a bad project for $100. Glad I got to use some of the parts from all my dead and crushed metros from over the years to bring one back. c:
Edited by DesmondGhostRider, Oct 17 2015, 03:52 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DesmondGhostRider
Member Avatar

Welp the Geo has been a bit of a turd the last few days.

First off the coolant problem wasn't fixed, it just only happened at high rpms. I swapped everything and after making absolutely sure I didn't have a blown head gasket I swapped out the radiator.

The radiator bit happened on the side of the road. I had to make a road trip that was about 3.5 hours round trip. I wasnt for sure about the overheating being fixed so I loaded up a head gasket, engine bearings, valves, rtv, my tool box, some extra hoses, extra belts, and a radiator. I was running w.o. the thermostat in case that had been it to begin with. 10 miles after hitting the highway it started over heating. I pulled over pulled the relief valve on the radiator cap and used pliers to remove drain plug. I swapped it all out in about 10 min w the car still hot, burped the system and was on my way without any more issues on the little trip.

--

Yesterday I ran outta gas and had to walk about 1.5 miles to go buy a 3 gallon gas tank and grab some gas. I was able to look at the see thru gas filter we installed to see that yeah it had run out of gas. W all my previous geos they have gas until they reach the bottom of the red and are touching the E. On this metro when it hits the red your done. :s Tedious lesson, but a good thing to know.

--

Today we were driving and loosing fuel. Turned out that first our aftermarket clear fuel filter in the engine bay had cracked :c I need to do some research and find some for higher psi use. I really like being able to see the fuel and know if its flowing or not.

So after that broke I patched it with a spare hose.

135 miles of driving with Greg later geo just dies. After making sure we weren't getting fuel in the fuel hose I tired banging on the gas tank, but the pump was clearly and loudly working. So fuel filter it is.

Removed what appeared to be the stock filter (that lasted a while didnt it) I snapped off one of them metal ends, forced an allen key through the hole to reopen each ends, used pliers to remove sharp burrs, then used it to splice the two hoses together.

Patch worked and we were on our way. No filter which we arnt crazy about but it got us home.

On the way home the hose I used in the engine bay just rotted and sprayed gas in the engine bay. I knew it was old, but figured it would get us home. We made it, but it was scary and dangerous. We didn't realize it was leaking again till we were just a few blocks from our house so we just went for it.

--

Tomorrow I'm swapping the patched hose in the rear for one long hose, replace the engine bay hose, and install a filter in the engine bay. I put a new stock style filter on Mangled and it only ran with it for about a month so I might just pull that one and use it since its free, but I'd really like to figure out a clear one that I can use in the engine bay.

--

Greg got it registered today so plates are now on it. Long road from a broken car sitting rotting in someones back yard to a (almost) road worthy car.

Before the whole gas leak bit I did a mpg calculation and I was getting about 35mpg

Stubby79
Member Avatar

Yer nuts to drive it so much, knowing it's got problems, but on the other hand, you're figuring them all out in a hurry, so I suppose she'll be up and running properly quickly.

Earthgirlecho
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Stubby79
Oct 21 2015, 03:32 AM
Yer nuts to drive it so much, knowing it's got problems, but on the other hand, you're figuring them all out in a hurry, so I suppose she'll be up and running properly quickly.
:gp

Reading this thread is more exciting than watching an adventure movie!

metro1.0

Earthgirlecho
Oct 21 2015, 05:45 AM
Stubby79
Oct 21 2015, 03:32 AM
:gp

Reading this thread is more exciting than watching an adventure movie!
I agree, it is like a day in the life episode.. :P

Darkness-lies-
Member Avatar
Metro-fide
[ *  *  * ]
Good chances of fun times with a geo that sat for so long and me or Desmond testing it out.

DesmondGhostRider
Member Avatar

Welp I was crusin down the hwy today in the rain ever weary of the bad alignment when without warning the rear bumper broke free and swung out behind me. It held on the passenger side for a moment and then blew off to the shoulder. By the time it fell off I was almost stopped so i backed up and picked it up and threw it in the trunk. It was still raining so I haven't looked to see what happened with it yet.

Bannedfonz
Member Avatar

Every day is and adventure!

DesmondGhostRider
Member Avatar

Another update!

Greg installed 2 new 175watt 4 inch speakers to the front and now all the speakers are working. Just using a basic head unit with a cd player and radio. This car is meant to be a backup so we dont wanna put too much money into it.

I swapped out door handles from the parts cars and my storage parts and now all the doors all work :D Much nicer for the day to day.

Pulled a unbroken radio bezel off of Kenny's old metro. His username on here was Wicked or something along those lines. That geo is going to me once I can pay for it. I've got parts to build 3 more motors so that will be one of them. Thats going to be one of the first projects for the shop once the storage junk is outta there from a roommate moving out. I'll be posting a lot more update and pictures onces we have access to it.

Anyway back to the metro, now named "Benjamin"

Yesterday I go out to the metro and try to start it and the key turned a bit then I heard a crunch. :/ After about 10 minutes of jiggling I got the key out but the lock was jammed. I looked inside the hole with a flashlight and there was bits of metal all inside. Not the best thing to find. I tried the key for another 20 minutes before deciding to break the lock soloniod out with a hammer and screwdriver. It was a bit of a task. Then when I got it all off and put a flat head in to start it, it wont turn forward enough to actually start the car so I found a piece of wire and hot wired it. So now no key for starting the car. Gonna get a universal key and put a push button start in it to replace it. Thought about messing with swapping out the whole assembly but meh Greg doesn't care either way and I think it'd be kinda funny so universal switch and push button it is.

Then on my way home that A arm that was bent and causing a bad alignment wore its bushing out further and the tire began to rub. I pulled into the driveway and it dips a bit and the car dipped popping the 13 inch tire I was running.

The 13 was super worn out so no big deal as far as damage. I was hoping it would make it to next weekend when I have more time but it is what it is.

I pulled the bad Aarm off and noted the inner tie rod was bent pretty bad. Looking around at the whole steering rack it was pretty worn out and all the rubber was falling apart. I pulled the steering rack off of Mangled and swapped out the whole thing minus 1 outer tie rod that looked better on the old setup. I based the alignment off of what Mangled had been set to since it had gotten an alignment a few months before being parked. Got the whole thing together pretty easy. Taking it all apart took a lot longer.

Then I went through the tires on Mangled and Kennys old metro and put 2 nice Nanking tires from Mangled on the front and one good 12 off K.O.M for a back one. The rear driver side was still good. Then I found a good spare tire and put it in the trunk. So now running on all 12's again with a good amount of tread left and the alignment was actually pretty dead on. (feel wise anyway) it pulls a tiny bit to the left, but not really enough to notice.

Car drives sooo much better now and its a lot quieter. When I get a chance I'll do a home alignement and get it a bit closer, but its fine for now.

I need to figure out the key situation, swap out the carpet with Mangled's, New windshield, unplug auto lock on front passenger side, get 1 more window handle, swap window regulator on drivers side, fix an exhaust leak, new oil pan gasket, and swap transmission.

Starting to come together. I'll get pics when its not so dark out.

DesmondGhostRider
Member Avatar

Ended up pulling a steering column from a parts car with a key and swapping the whole assembly. Started right up. :)

Gotta finish a rebuild on a Mercury Sable on friday then I'll swap that carpet

I can hear a rear bearing going bad as well so I'll go ahead and get one ordered from rock auto

DesmondGhostRider
Member Avatar

Having a very weird no start situation.

Car has no spark

I've tried swapping the following from known good cars

Distributor assembly
Ignition Coil
Igniter (might not be using right term there. grey box to the right of the ignition coil with all the heat sync fins on it)
ECU
Spark Plug

I also checked all of the fuses and tested all of the relays by putting them in the horn relay slot and honking to verify they were working correctly.

I checked and cleaned the grounds going to the rear of the intake as well. I cleaned them with a wire brush just to be sure.

I dont know whats going on here. Everything seems like it should be working, but I just cant get a spark. :/

Does anyone have any ideas? Weak points in wiring to check?

I have a test light available to me today. I could probably go get my dvom tomorrow if it cant be solved today.

Stubby79
Member Avatar

Well, since you checked all the obvious...perhaps your ignition switch isn't switching power "on" when it's turned to the "start" position? All your dash lights on when cranking?

DesmondGhostRider
Member Avatar

http://geometroforum.com/topic/5913630/1/#new

Made a separate topic for this issue.

Resolved and up and running again.

Bought the car from Greg. Ordered some fun parts for it and found an almost new 3 foot long glass pack to go on it. New transmission going in soon when I have room in the shop. :3 Turning into a pretty nice little project car.

I think when I swap the transmission I'm going to put a newly rebuilt motor in it at the same time. It always seemes easier to pull the engine and trans at the same time and I dont wanna do major work again anytime soon

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Project Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply