Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Antisocial nature of "social" media; I call it antisocial media
Topic Started: Nov 13 2015, 11:54 PM (802 Views)
cwatkin

I use social media but only because so many people only communicate this way. I am not a huge fan by any means. People always argue. The WORST customers always come from Facebook, and it is just a waste of time.

The recent racial events at the University of Missouri are another example. I live about 100 miles south of Columbia and attend Missouri S&T in Rolla. 2 of the 3 threats related to this situation were either directed at or originated from here. So the new vans show up and it is a big deal. The arrested all 3 of the people eventually. They used Yik Yak which I didn't know about until now. They thought they were anonymous but the cops used the tracking of their IP address to arrest them in their dorm rooms and home. Terrorist threat charges are now being pressed.

Does it seem that "social" media just brings out the worst? I have discussed this with friends in the past but this situation that happened quite close to me just reinforces the idea.

Conor
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Stubby79
Member Avatar

I hope to see the messy death of social media. I won't miss it. Meanwhile, I'll laugh at the people it brings down for being stupid enough to "trust" in it.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

91 ragtop
Member Avatar

Wouldn't this website be considered ''social media'' also ?

Ken.........

Cobrajet25
Member Avatar

Social media allows people to be vicious to other people without the possible repercussions of being vicious to someone in person. Like getting punched or shot.

It really does tend to bring out the worst in people. That is why I restrict my social media intake to interest-based forums, like this one.

Stubby79
Member Avatar

Cobrajet25
Nov 14 2015, 01:38 AM
It really does tend to bring out the worst in people.
It' doesn't bring out the wrost in people, it just shows you what :shit people in general really are, and how disgusting humanity, as a whole, is. Or a large portion, anyway.

Bring on the Apocalypse, I say!

Memphis metro

91 ragtop
Nov 14 2015, 12:20 AM
Wouldn't this website be considered ''social media'' also ?

Ken.........
Yes and it has its haters too.

t3ragtop
Member Avatar
Turbo3 and Twincam Tweaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL2gDa9YxKw

aaronvincent
Member Avatar
Mr Mojo Risin'

I do not practice social media (facebook, instagram, etc) because I just don't care to honestly, my friends call me. In reality I am not an amazingly sociable person and am a fairly quiet man, I even catch flak about it from work. I'm just reserved. However, on this forum I am familiar enough with the people that I can socialize freely about topics even more broad than geo metros. I have even personally met quite a few members from thousands of miles away.

That to me says that this forum is at least causing actual sociability through an online platform. That being said I have been a member of some other forums (Toyota forums and cobalt owners) and a lot of those people are assholes who are very unhelpful who I would never meet in real life. Far more so than here. So I guess some "social media" is antisocial and generally not great but some of it can be an actual community with real members :rocker

I don't disagree though, a lot is social media is just some kind of "look at me" freak parade. It's like panhandling for emotions :lol

t3ragtop
Member Avatar
Turbo3 and Twincam Tweaker

the video that i posted above is on the edge of showing that there is an insidious, if not nefarious, side to social media. it's as if the main social media platforms are conditioning us as a society to function within parameters which can be recorded, analyzed, and tweaked as a sort of societal control.

big media personalities are controlled and used to alter society's perceptions and characteristics which allows "them" the ability to herd us more and more like sheep.

i admit to being a facebook user, a very bad one, but none the less i post things of a personal nature like videos of my daughter's musical performances so that friends and family can see her growth as a musician. sometime i post pics of my car projects so that distant friends and family can see how i spend my time.

i still get a creepy feeling that everything i put out there is being looked at by factions with less than honorable intentions.

if geometroforum is considered to be a form of social media, it's one that is actually beneficial. as far as the community goes i find the metro/swift bunch to be valued as an extended family. i have met people in person from our group who are largely the best people i have ever met.

but i'm still not convinced that facebook, twitter, etc. aren't some new form of mass surveillance being used to collect the digital bread crumbs we leave. :whistle

cwatkin

The other one I see frequently is "If you really care about me you will click LIKE or comment on this post." I even have them say they will unfriend all those who don't do this. It is nothing and I NEVER respond to these. I really don't care if they unfriend me. Usually they never unfriend me because that would show a lower number of "friends" on their friend list.

Anyway, I agree that social media shows how people are as a whole but it seems that a worse segment of the populations associates with social media. I get bad customers from everywhere but it is pretty much a sure shot when they come from social media.

Conor

aaronvincent
Member Avatar
Mr Mojo Risin'

I've never used any social media (beyond youtube for my dash cam vids and some forums) so I am not aware of what goes on. That does sound like a type of surveillance though, which is way creepy.

Bring forth the ibabies! (the newest brain altering gadget from Apple that is implanted at birth)

mt999999
Member Avatar
Self-Declared "Genious"

My facebook account is reduced to another "e-mail" account. I check my messages once a month, and that's it! I tell my friends/family, treat me like the grandparents... If you want to communicate electronically, e-mail me. I don't check my facebook account! :lol

I don't consider forums "social media". A couple forums and newsgroups are more than enough to keep me busy. No time for facebook. Otherwise, I don't use any other form of social media.

mt999999
Member Avatar
Self-Declared "Genious"

mt999999
Nov 14 2015, 12:08 PM
My facebook account is reduced to another "e-mail" account. I check my messages once a month, and that's it! I tell my friends/family, treat me like the grandparents... If you want to communicate electronically, e-mail me. I don't check my facebook account! :lol

I don't consider forums "social media". A couple forums and newsgroups are more than enough to keep me busy. No time for facebook. Otherwise, I don't use any other form of social media. I have been told, time and time again, that I am very anti-social. You'd never be able to tell on-line. :P

Woodie
Member Avatar

aaronvincent
Nov 14 2015, 09:25 AM
just some kind of "look at me" freak parade. It's like panhandling for emotions :lol
That's pretty clever, I like that a lot.

This right here is as far as I go toward "social media". There's something about the delay and the structured time that I access it which makes it much safer. If this was all happening real time I probably would have been drummed out a long time ago. I'm very opinionated and a loudmouth, no news in this sentence. I also can be quite funny, but often in a mean, sarcastic way that a lot of people can't handle. Some of the things I say and most of the things I think would be seen by many people as horrible because they either don't get my sort of humor or they're this miserable group of people we've created in the last ten years who get up in the morning looking for something to be offended by. The recent trend of trying to destroy someone's career because of some off handed remark they made is despicable. I watch how many celebrities get in trouble because of little things they said on Twitter and think "there's no F-ing way I need that sort of instant wideband communication". I come on here at 5:00 AM and my mood is pretty much even, I'm not enraged by the events of the day (yet) and I'm quite sober. It takes a little bit of time to write whatever I'm going to say, and I feel I know the majority of the people who are going to read it, many of you I've met in person, it's more a group of friends than anything else, so I temper my comments. I've written comments of this size before and then just deleted the entire thing and moved on to the next thread many times. I still manage to step over the line and offend people, but I'm sure it's a minuscule percentage of what would be going on if I read things 20 hours a day and had to fight the urge to be witty in 145 characters instantaneously.

Woodie
Member Avatar

Case in point. I wrote this and then went on to read today's news. Rob Lowe is now in big trouble for Tweeting "Oh, NOW France decides to close it's borders".

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Geo Metro Lounge · Next Topic »
Add Reply