Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Radiator Cap - urgent scientific question
Topic Started: Nov 28 2015, 11:03 AM (826 Views)
orfeo
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
:whistle My 1995 3-cyl Metro LSi hatchback comes with a 13# radiator cap, but the neck on the aftermarket all-aluminum radiator from Radiator Classic causes all 13# caps (have tried several different ones, all brand new) to release @ <9 lbs, causing my coolant level to be low. Due to this, my car overheated and blew the head. $800 dollars later, I find that the 16# cap holds well, and doesn't release until 16# of pressure (like it should). I have also learned that racers use higher pressure caps on many different model cars for more efficient cooling. Is there any downside to my using the 16# cap? Does 3 extra pounds of pressure make enough difference to possibly cause a problem in our Metros? I really can't afford another catastrophic engine failure. Many thanks! :banghead

Sorry for the double-post, but I didn't know where to put this! HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Stubby79
Member Avatar

i dunno, but i ain't gonna buy an aluminum rad, knowing this.
(besides which, throwing money at an economy car defeats the purpose)
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

pdqrunner

I'm not sure that cap caused you problem. You may a blockage in the system causing the lack of cooling.

David95237

I found that the aluminum radiators take the older style radiator cap which is deeper.

Metromightymouse
Member Avatar
Powdercoat Wizard

David95237
Nov 28 2015, 12:01 PM
I found that the aluminum radiators take the older style radiator cap which is deeper.
Yep, they went with one size fits all. It was pretty obvious that the late model cap wasn't going to work on mine, early cap works perfectly.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

orfeo
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
It WAS the cap (Yes it takes the older style cap). Every time I checked the radiator, it was low, while the overflow was full. But I didn't check it often enough, and I blew the head.

The Metro guru here (he's a forum member) said it was a defective neck on the radiator causing the 13# cap to release pressure at 7 to 9 lbs of pressure. We tested a half-dozen new caps and they all released too low. Tried a 16# and VOILA, it releases at 16#. . . Now I'm not losing any coolant wahtsoever. :rocker

However, I am concerned about whether a 16# cap could cause harm? Thoughts? Opinions?

orfeo
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
Stubby79
Nov 28 2015, 11:10 AM
i dunno, but i ain't gonna buy an aluminum rad, knowing this.
(besides which, throwing money at an economy car defeats the purpose)
I hear ya, but it was pretty inexpensive. As I recall, not much more than OEM-style, larger capacity, and lifetime warranty against leaks. In hindsight, I would stick to OEM, but it seemed like a good idea at the time, and had several endorsements from the guys on here as being GTG. . . Really my own fault for not paying closer attention to the coolant loss. :banghead

orfeo
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have also learned that racers use higher pressure caps on many different model cars for more efficient cooling. Is there any downside to my using the 16# cap? Does 3 extra pounds of pressure make enough difference to possibly cause a problem in our Metros?

Murf 59
Member Avatar

I run one of the alum radiators. Love it. It came with a cap. I run that one. Have never had any issue with this rad.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply