Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
stock suzuki coilpack specs vs. ls7 coilpacks
Topic Started: Jan 3 2016, 08:44 PM (2,185 Views)
terry8750
terry8750

so i guess im kinda crazy for wanting to do this but i have a full set of ls7 coilpacks.and i was wondering if i could wire these coilpacks to my metro.im hoping t3 might chime in.
Posted Image
Edited by terry8750, Jan 3 2016, 08:51 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

terry8750
terry8750

i already know the wiring diagram for it.but maybe i might be missing something.
Posted Image

Posted Image

from what i can see the gray red wire would splice into cylinder 1 and 4 coilpacks and wire grey blue would splice into cylinder 2 and 3 coil pack to the ignition out signal on the coil packs
black blue wire would be all coilpacks main ground and black white would be coil pack 12v on.

ls7 coil pack specs
40K volts
120 milliamps of peak secondary current with 5 milliseconds of dwell time
coilpacks have a secondary resistance of 5k to 8k ohms
primary coilpack ohm .5

suzuki coil pack specs
????
????
secondary coil resistance for suzuki coil packs at 10k ohm
primary coilpack ohm .5
Edited by terry8750, Jan 3 2016, 10:52 PM.

terry8750
terry8750

looks like i will have to be the first to pioneer on this.
one thing i have noticed is it gonna need a relay for the power wire as the stock power wire is to small
something like this would be in order

Posted Image

t3ragtop
Member Avatar
Turbo3 and Twincam Tweaker

one thing that comes to mind is that the suzuki coils for your model are arranged in a coil on plug/ coil near plug arrangement and run on 2 trigger signals, one per coil, in a lost spark arrangement. one coil fires 2 plugs at once, cylinders 1 and 4 with one piston cycle at the top of it's compression stroke and the other at it's exhaust stroke or 2 and 3 in either it's compression stroke or it's exhaust stroke.

you wouldn't be able to use the 4 coils in a single fire arrangement anyway so i see no real improvement by using the 4 single coils in place of the stock ignition with a lost spark ignition system.

actually, the lost spark ignition is a big part of the low emission output of the suzuki engine. when the spark plug is fired into an open exhaust valve it burns any unburned fuel exiting the cylinder. lost spark systems often make the engine run smoother. and lastly, the ignition system on a g13bb is the culmination of the design of the g family engine. it is extremely powerful and probably the equal of any high energy aftermarket system. ;)

terry8750
terry8750

What i had planned is coil one and 4 would be wired to the same signal wire and the same as 2 and 3 .so coils 1 and 4 would fire twice just the same as one coil pack.i just tested it with one coil pack and it works.ill get a video here real soon

terry8750
terry8750

video of the coils firing
http://s393.photobucket.com/user/terrymckinney2055/media/20160104_195943_zpsdvxu65ex.mp4.html
waiting on my 97 spark plug wire set to get here to fully test it
but it appears everything is in sync
Edited by terry8750, Jan 4 2016, 09:16 PM.

terry8750
terry8750

stock coil pack comparison the one the left is pretty much dead
http://s393.photobucket.com/user/terrymckinney2055/media/20160104_205443_zpsnv8alf4p.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0
Edited by terry8750, Jan 4 2016, 10:09 PM.

MarkZ28

Cant load video due to no signal, lol. Glad it worked though. My 98 has the 2 coils on the end of the head with spark plug cables. The LS style coils would be a good replacement mod if my coils go south. You can get MSD hipo coils that are much hotter than the stock GM coils also. Be good for a turbo engine.
Edited by MarkZ28, Jan 5 2016, 07:56 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

terry8750
terry8750

im surprised more people arent taking an interest in this. the spark is about 2.5 time hotter than the stock suzuki coils
but im not entirely done yet i still dont know if the motor will actually run since i havent hooked the it up the spark plug wirtes yet waiting on them in the mail.
my biggest thing im worried about is if the timing is going to on point.we will see.
and i will have to remake a better harness with a few inprovements that i got the idea from a megasquirt forum

Posted Image

all it is is adding a few capacitors one for a shunt and another for the coilpacks to maximize spark energy
Edited by terry8750, Jan 6 2016, 12:06 AM.

terry8750
terry8750

MarkZ28
Jan 5 2016, 07:55 PM
Cant load video due to no signal, lol. Glad it worked though. My 98 has the 2 coils on the end of the head with spark plug cables. The LS style coils would be a good replacement mod if my coils go south. You can get MSD hipo coils that are much hotter than the stock GM coils also. Be good for a turbo engine.
not only that it could be a good economy mod too.lighting off fuel with a torch like that is gonna promote much more complete combustion and it will allow your to run probably a .060 gap which is the gap specs for the motor it came out of instead of .039 or 0.42 whatever the stock gap is i think
Edited by terry8750, Jan 6 2016, 01:26 PM.

MarkZ28

Finally got to see the video, shouldnt have any trouble getting a hot spark now, lol. Also like the 240SX. Had a 93 coupe with the 5 speed and KA24DE. Fun car.

terry8750
terry8750

been working on it for the past 2 years.but i been on a spending ban till my house gets done.its gonna have a 5.3 vortec and t-56 in it fully stripped interior rollcage and racing seats.thats were i got the coil packs from
.helll even the wiring harness is getting stripped down ive already gotten 15 lbs of wiring out already that i dont need lol

MarkZ28

Auticross or drag car? Hooe you find a string rear axle, maybe an 8.8 from a T bird or even Exploder fabbed in to keep it irs. I think tbe Q45 Infinity tears bolt in, but been a while since I messed with one. I think the J30 posi is a common swap rear also.

Cofi
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
Can't wait to see this running in the car

terry8750
terry8750

MarkZ28
Jan 7 2016, 01:39 PM
Auticross or drag car? Hooe you find a string rear axle, maybe an 8.8 from a T bird or even Exploder fabbed in to keep it irs. I think tbe Q45 Infinity tears bolt in, but been a while since I messed with one. I think the J30 posi is a common swap rear also.
Probaby both.yea im not sure what.i will do about the rear end cause it aint gonna last long rear end will have 18x12 inch wheels and 315/30r18 tires and front will be 10x18 wheels with 275/30r18 tires and a turbocharger

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Engine Tech & Diagnostics · Next Topic »
Add Reply