Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Aftermarket 4x6 led headlights; brighten up old headlights with new tech
Topic Started: Mar 21 2016, 12:55 PM (1,584 Views)
smysmbrg
Steve

well I am a sucker first and bought another set of 4x6 led headlights off amazon. first go round they didn't lite up at all and I returned them promply. Second go round I spent a little more 80 verses 60 they work but need some slight mods to work. Also the more expensive pair came with a wiring adapter wich was helpfull. There is also some 4x6 led headlights on jegs but they run 200$ a pair.
amazon 4x6 led headlight
Tested them out last night for 4 hours delivering around the city. They are much brighter and just a tick or two under crazy annoying to other drivers. I didn't have anyone flash me but people definitely knew I was back there.

I had to buy longer screws for the trim around the bulbs because the aftermarket don't fit like a standard sealed beam bulb but do fit. didn't need to go this long but I wasn't sure how long i needed when I bought them. The originals may be long enough but there will be only a few threads in contact and will make install more difficult. And I bought stainless so I wouldnt have any issues with the bottom screws ever again hopefully. almost all cars will have severely seized bottom screws. I was able to get mine out by removing the adjustable bucket part which I thought was difficult but turns out super easy. one spring on the bottom and twist the unit to the left or right depending on side.
Posted Image
here is a pic of the lo beam. when the high beam is on they all light up and it's super bright. but do to a wiring issue the high beams don't work in the original metro sockets and need a seperate toggle switch with direct power to light up. I will get a pic posted of the wiring.
Posted Image
I will try to get some good night pics soon. I also need to pretend I am another car to see what it feels like.
Edited by smysmbrg, Mar 21 2016, 01:14 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

evmetro

smysmbrg
Mar 21 2016, 12:55 PM
when the high beam is on they all light up and it's super bright. but do to a wiring issue the high beams don't work in the original metro sockets and need a seperate toggle switch with direct power to light up.
I posted a wiring diagram on another 4x6 led headlight thread that should show you how to make your high beams work correctly without needing a separate switch.

http://geometroforum.com/topic/5140160/1/?x=90

Hopefully this helps you out...

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Stubby79
Member Avatar

Neat.
I'm stuck with composite headlights (as seems the norm north of the border), so I've not been thrilled with the price-to-quality of LED headlight bulbs...but yours look like they might be able to put out enough light.

metroschultz
Member Avatar
Please just call me; "Schultz"

Could you post a pic of the lights shining down the road at night, on high & low?
That would be very helpful for me. I am putting together a 4 door for me & Barb to use as a trip vehicle and I want more light for those dark & unfamiliar roads.
Thanks,
S.

smysmbrg
Steve

I am just reading the thread that ev posted up there were geo pet goes thru a similar setup. The beam pattern is not focused. I need to put myself 50 feet out and look at them. No one has flashed me yet but I can tell people are annoyed when I get too close to their backside but maybe thats how I feel with others and their brighter than norm or driving with their oem fog/driving lights on.
I will get some pics tonight hopefully.
Edited by smysmbrg, Apr 17 2016, 09:45 AM.

Ephemeral Glade
Member Avatar

:popcorn

smysmbrg
Steve

Added some vinyl window frost to try to tame them down but it seems brighter
Posted Image
Just some small strips to cover the low beam bulbs

Low beam
Posted Image

Hi beam
Posted Image
Edited by smysmbrg, Apr 17 2016, 11:10 PM.

smysmbrg
Steve

Still think the hella h4 conversion that coche blanco did is a better way to go.
They sell some 4x6 leds on jegs that are 200$ those may work better than these.

Jester72
[ *  * ]
I ordered a pair, will be here tomorrow. I'll get some before and after pics and update with my experience.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZZIIL4E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

smysmbrg
Steve

Looks just like the last 2 pairs of cheap chinese brands I tried. Both didnt work. Made for off road use only not a projector headlight at all, you will see everything except the road unless you can point them straight down.

MR1 Kingsbury
Member Avatar
Exp. builder/rebuilder

smysmbrg
Oct 9 2017, 10:43 PM
Looks just like the last 2 pairs of cheap chinese brands I tried. Both didnt work. Made for off road use only not a projector headlight at all, you will see everything except the road unless you can point them straight down.
smysmbrg, Can you go back to photofucket and retrieve your own pics? Then you can re-upload to the site using edit. I'd like to see the pics. I got some 4x6 H4 glass replacements for my weak 4666 oem. they look a lot better but the light pattern is more of an X shape at 12-15 ft out. they do provide good lighting and certainly better than the old halogen singles.

Most new oem sets that I see have a distinct cutoff at about 30 inches to keep the light and beam where it is most effective.

Everyone I have talked to says LEDs are great for dash, flash, and overhead, but really suck for driving lights...
I have seen some that had to be 60 watts plus of led power cause they seemed really bright but just didn't give a visible reflected beam at long range.

smysmbrg
Steve

I have the same experience with the x pattern glass ones, but they are way better than the led ones wich are unusable on public roads.
Might be able to fix the pics some day when I have more time.

92blumetro
jack of all trades, master of two

I HAD 4x6 bosch with 9004 bulbs- nice and bright, until the glass lens got smashed out of one.
tried a few different e-bay styles, but the lens kept getting smashed.
finally converted to composites with 6000k hid bulbs.
never looked back

Jester72
[ *  * ]
Is there an easy way of getting at the 4 screws holding the retainer bezel? I was able to get the top 2 but the bottom are a PITA!

smysmbrg
Steve

Bend the metal down after getting the top two out replace the light and bend it back up, or heat them up after taking the light out to soften up the rust.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Guides/How to · Next Topic »
Add Reply