Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
MT's Yellow 1992 Convertible 3/5; (Mostly) Rust Free From Florida!
Topic Started: Apr 14 2016, 09:07 AM (2,987 Views)
mt999999
Member Avatar
Self-Declared "Genious"

So, this past Sunday, GeoStalker was nice enough to check out and grab up this convertible near him in Columbus, OH; then hold it for me to get a ride up there. I've been scoping these out on nearly every Craigslist site on the east side of the Mississippi for months before finding this one, which was even close to home!

Until a few months ago, it spent its whole life in Florida. While this luckily means the car is almost 100% rust-free, the dash is totaled, as well as some other interior parts such as the 3-piece boot that goes over the folded top.

Some great bonuses: Body almost entirely free from any dents and never wrecked. Darn near totally rust-free, including the frame horns (minus a very small amount on the seam of the driver's frame horn). While not the best paint job, it is repainted a nearly-stock looking yellow and it's very clean. New black vinyl top. The seats appeared to have the original fabric removed and seem to be professionally recovered with a black and yellow faux vinyl leather covering, which looks good and is in great shape. All of the parts are there too, down to the original hubcaps!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by mt999999, Apr 14 2016, 09:45 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mt999999
Member Avatar
Self-Declared "Genious"

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A couple of other minor hiccups include the cracked rear brake light, cracked windshield, bad struts (new ones came in the trunk), peeling door trim, and some of the interior is a little bit rough. Otherwise, it seems to look great, and I think a little bit of clean up will go a long way!

Note: The convertible top is not all the way up and latch in this shot; there normally aren't any wrinkles.
Edited by mt999999, Apr 24 2016, 11:00 AM.

mt999999
Member Avatar
Self-Declared "Genious"

I will finish compiling a list of to-do's here in a little while.

Now, for the ugly. Not every deal is as pretty as it looks... I was wondering why the last guy bought it from Florida and sold it just a few months later. Well, I strongly suspect a blown head gasket. The original engine is getting tired; compression: 168, 145, 168; likely leaking at cyl. number 2. When I went to pick it up, it was low on coolant. It's sucking it down fairly fast; as in I need to top it off daily when driven daily. The exhaust steams at start up on a 50 degree day.

The clutch is also likely original at 130,000 miles, and feels a little worn. The gear doesn't engage until the petal is almost all of the way up, but an adjustment might help as well. The engine is leaking some oil, including from around the distributor and possibly from the valve cover. The car came with a new Fel-pro valve cover gasket in the trunk.

The A/C is all there, but doesn't seem to work. The button lights, the fuses don't seem to be blown, and the engine changes speed when engaged, but I can't hear the compressor, and the A/C fan doesn't spin. It is super noisy, so I cut the belt and the car quieted down.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by mt999999, Apr 14 2016, 09:33 AM.

mt999999
Member Avatar
Self-Declared "Genious"

The title I got was signed, from the last Florida owner. I think I'm gonna give the guy a call to get a little bit more insight into the car. According to the title, he owned it since 2003 until a few months ago. I guess the last owner never titled it or got it insured; just rode it around until he got bored? :dunno

It's titled, plated, and ready to go now! Just a little more work... :drivin

It sure looks like I've found my summer project. I think I can handle it all. I'd much rather have a clean, rust-free Metro with a great body that needs a lot of drive train work, as opposed to a rusty dented one with a strong, running engine. Updates to follow...

More pictures found here:

http://s712.photobucket.com/user/computercrazy123/library/1992%20Geo%20Metro%20Convertible?sort=3&page=1
Edited by mt999999, Apr 14 2016, 09:37 AM.

idmetro
Member Avatar

Looks like a great start!

myredvert
Member Avatar
myredvert

Nice looking car Michael :thumb I'm soooooooooo happy to see you didn't pull the trigger on one of those near death POSs you had been looking at. :cheers
Quote:

compression: 168, 145, 168;
I think you probably nailed the symptoms correctly - get the headgasket repaired ASAP... ;)

It needs a rebuild in addition to that, but with the headgasket repaired you should be able to continue drive it for quite a while with that reduced performance until it dies.

I have a "new to me" 3rd brake light assembly coming in the near future - when I get it you are welcome to my lens.

Anything else you need a hand with, let me know. I could drive up tomorrow and join the party. :D

MR Bill
Member Avatar

Nice car, have fun with it.

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Fear the Mullet

Hoping to see that sweet Vert at GeoPalooza! Maybe you can have the old lady or your sister bring the other Metro :deal

smysmbrg
SteveO

My dad had a 1953 f-100 that was the same color yellow it had some really cool looking candy apple red flames on the front. I will get a pick posted soon. If they were done right they would really nice on your car. Congrats on the nice new vertπŸ‘πŸ‘
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Car Nut
Member Avatar

Nice ride. Looks like the rockers were previously repaired. Hopefully no other major surprises await.

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

Quote:

Looks like the rockers were previously repaired.Β 

Can you tell this just by looking at mt's posted pictures? It looks like factory spot welds to me.

Woodie
Member Avatar

Very nice, I'm jelly.

Time to get a rusty GTi and mash them together.

whitetop
Member Avatar
I Can't Find My Tent...

Looks like a great project. My vert spent her early life in Florida, too, and has the cracked dash to prove it. That should be getting replaced next month. Keep the pics coming.

MPG

Beautiful 😊

geogonfa
Member Avatar

Nice...nothing like going topless on a good weather day... :thumb

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Project Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply