Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Heat Doesn't Work
Topic Started: Oct 17 2008, 11:31 AM (972 Views)
BrighterEarth
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
Hi.

My heat doesn't work. The blower works, though less air comes through when I set it to hot. Also, when I first turn the fan on, it comes through hot but then quickly cools off to barely luke warm. Someone said to check the heater core, though that does look like a bit of work. The radiator bubbles so they say that's the head gasket, also a ton of work. (I'm busy, not lazy :-). I was wondering if someone knew here which direction to head, given that it starts out hot then cools right off.

Thanks!

-Brrrrrrrr
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bennie442

Clue us in on what you are working on. Year, make, model....then you might get some useful info.

Will
Member Avatar
Victory is mine!!!!

Welcome. Start with the most simple thing possible. Have you checked your thermostat? Does the car engine heat up normally to a good operating temp?

BrighterEarth
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
Hi. Thanks. It's a 92 Geo Metro.

The car itself heats up correctly. So could it still be the thermostat then?

Thanks, thanks, thanks.

Will
Member Avatar
Victory is mine!!!!

It shouldn't be the thermostat then. If the thermostat was stuck open the car engine would never heat up, and if it was stuck closed it would overheat.

If your head gasket was blown you would have other symptoms. It's pretty easy to tell if something like this has happened. It does not take much to rob a 55 HP 3 cylinder motor of it's power.

I would look toward the heater core. If the time was a real big issue to me I would have a shop check it out, but do the repairs myself. I did that once when I was working 60-80 hours a week. I had them check out something on the car I had at the time, then fixed it myself when I got a day off.

bennie442

Your first post mentioned that you could see bubbles in the coolant, thereby indicating that your head gasket is bad. I believe that enough bubbles have migrated to the heater core to render it useless. After the head gasket gets replaced, make sure to burp the coolant of any air by elevating the front of the car and run the engine ( this makes the radiator fill neck the highest point - air will rise to top ) while topping the coolant level.

BrighterEarth
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
Hmmm, so could a temporary fix be to do the burping then?

I tried burping it with the left front jacked up but it didn't seem to help. Do I need to jack up left and right then together?

Thanks!!!!

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Kim John Mu

I suggest removing the heater core hoses and flushing with a garden hose in both directions.

The temp gauge should read about halfway at all times when warm.

If there was compression going into the cooling system it should technically boil over or come out the rad cap if the pressure gets too high. If the heater core flush reveals a lot of gunk and crap, then you can imaging what the radiator looks like. Coolant has to flow properly for the heat to work properly. To verify whether you have a head gasket leaking compression into the cooling system, perform a compression test.

bbjsw10

BrighterEarth
Oct 17 2008, 11:31 AM
The blower works, though less air comes through when I set it to hot.
How much slower? Just a little or a lot. If it is a lot slower you may have leaves or debris packed against heater core, did the car sit for awhile before you bought it? If it is just a little slower that is normal (restriction of air going through the core).

BrighterEarth
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
Hey thanks everyone!

It was indeed the heater core being clogged. I fortunately had a friend here to help. Here's what we did.

We used old pieces of hose with garden clamps to back flush the heater core, then soaked it in vinegar to get even more gunk out. One of my hoses was cut off at the end, so we hooked that up to the faucet and then used a hose clamp to attach it to the cold side hose, figuring that was the outflow. We hooked up a section of old hose to the other side, the inflow and slowly flushed it into a bucket. Then we replaced the main garden hose, the one on the out-flow that we flushed the water in through, and attached a small section of hose to use to pour the vinegar into. We let it sit for about an hour and then reattached the faucet hose and flushed it again.

Then I had heat. YAY!

Then on the highway I noticed it wasn't as good and found that the car doesn't have a thermostat.

Oh, but for anyone with the same problem, the big clue that the heater core was clogged was that it was warm on one side going in and cold on the side going out.

And, the way to tell where the heater core is is to look for hoses coming to and from the radiator that go into the dash area.

Sure is nice to have heat again!

THANKS again everyone.

Elissa

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Kim John Mu

Glad you got some heat! Winter is coming ;)

Will
Member Avatar
Victory is mine!!!!

Johnny Mullet
Oct 25 2008, 03:49 AM
Glad you got some heat! Winter is coming
:shake

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Air Conditioning/Heating · Next Topic »
Add Reply