Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Diesel Metro Conversion
Topic Started: Oct 17 2008, 08:00 PM (10,371 Views)
Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Kim John Mu

A member over at Ecomodder.com swapped in a 900cc Kubota 905 3 cylinder 24 hp diesel engine a Geo Metro Convertible. He is currently working out the details of his project and you can read more about it HERE.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Will
Member Avatar
Victory is mine!!!!

It will be neat to find out what his final result is. I wonder if he will hit 100 mpg.

kimmer6
[ *  * ]
Will
Oct 17 2008, 11:49 PM
It will be neat to find out what his final result is. I wonder if he will hit 100 mpg.
It looks promising...But now there is a distinct governor problem. Don't forget, this is a tractor/generator engine and was not made for automotive use. I have a spare engine partially disassembled and will carefully remove the governor for exploratory surgery. I am most interested to see if it has any advance mechanism like VW and Mercedes diesels used. I can tell right away that the mileage will be quite high. It ran 90 miles so far going from 3/4 tank to 5/8 tank (1/8 tank difference). I usually see that in 42 miles or so with the gas engine.

I am removing the diesel to put in a 5 speed from a 94 Swift as it is the tallest gearing available. The car ran at 65mph, no rpm left! At the same time I will go thru the injection system and governor. It was nice while it lasted but the only down side so far is excessive black smoke. In the mean time I will work on my other Metro. I just put in the XFI cam and will do the high mileage mods. This is my every day driver....Kim

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Kim John Mu

Welcome to the site :cheers

Looking forward to the updates on this project. I also chimed in on the XFi thread ;)

metrojoe
Member Avatar
smokin'

yes welcome kim :)

please be sure to let us know how the diesel project goes.

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Kim John Mu

I have not heard anything new from Kim. I wonder how this project went?

dimetrodon

Ambitious and noble project. This could be a candidate for the automotive X prize - for the first car that can do 100 mpg.

http://www.progressiveautoxprize.org/press-release/x-prize-foundation-progressive-insurance-join-forces-to-officially-announce-the-1

Can't wait to see how this project develops. Maybe Kimmer will be a millionaire by summer!

Cobb

Will
Oct 17 2008, 11:49 PM
It was nice while it lasted but the only down side so far is excessive black smoke. In the mean time I will work on my other Metro. I just put in the XFI cam and will do the high mileage mods. This is my every day driver....Kim
Excessive black smoke from a diesel is unburnt fuel. Too rich, too much load. Like a lower gear or forced induction is needed.

I wonder if it will tollerate the ultra low sulfur diesel on the market?
Edited by Cobb, Feb 9 2009, 11:56 PM.

tmaxmetro
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
There was a university in the U.S. which installed a 3 cyl. diesel into a Metro some years ago - and I believe it hit 90+ mpg on a test track. Info. on the net somewhere.

Another neat conversion was someone who installed a motorcycle engine into a Metro - and on the net somewhere is the in-car video of that vehicle being driven as well as detailed photos of the setup.

cheers,

Cobb

I love those u tube videos where people put a hyboosta motor cycle engine into a smart, wwwweeeeee....

oscarcool
[ *  * ]
There is a Diesel Geo Metro on eBay right now with a One-Cylinder hyperefficient direct injection engine. Maybe it would get 200 miles per gallon at slow speed.... I don't know.
Edited by oscarcool, Apr 25 2009, 11:45 AM.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Fuel Economy/Performance · Next Topic »
Add Reply