Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Rough idle cold, fast idle hot; 94 geo metro idle probs
Topic Started: Oct 20 2008, 05:43 PM (868 Views)
Azbornman
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hi to everyone, it is nice to have found this message board! I just bought a 94 Metro from the company i work for. I paid 500 bones for it and its gonna need some work. So i will be posting on here to get some info! First problem is when the engine is cold the engine idles rough (shakes pretty badly) until it warms up, just a minute or two. Take in consideration that I live in Arizona so it does not get too cold here. Also this is an Az car so no rust!! Also when the engine is warmed up (after driving for awhile) the engine seems to be idling to fast.
Any advise for that? Also the car has company decals on it, they are sun-baked on there. Any ideas how to get them off?

Thanks to all,
Burt

94 Geo Metro
1.0, TBI
87,000 mi
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

Welcome to the forum :cheers

I would always begin with a compression test. This will tell us how healthy the engine is and keep you from throwing parts at it. Test each cylinder dry and then add an ounce of oil to the cylinder and test again. Post the readings here.

Also check all the vacuum lines. I don't mean to look under the hood for 5 minutes, but get a good flashlight and actually trace each individual line and look for cracks, leaks.

As far as the decals go, if they are on glass, a razor blade will remove them. If on paint, Snap-on makes a rubber buffer that will remove stickers and dealer ads.

Will
Member Avatar
Victory is mine!!!!

Welcome to the board. Good to have you here. Here's hoping the compression test goes well.

Azbornman
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hey thanks JM, for the fast reply! I will check that as soon as i can. She needs CV joints as well. Is that going to be difficult? I am mechanically inclined, but obviously don't know everything. I am not looking to dump a whole lot of money into her, just want her to be road worthy.

Azbornman
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks Will,
I hope to get to know you all better, I will update my profile as soon as i can figure out how to get a small pic for my avatar. I hope this car will pass emissions here in Az, i only have 30 days to do it!

Will
Member Avatar
Victory is mine!!!!

Man, I love Tennessee... No tests. What happens if you don't pass? Can you re-test later?

Azbornman
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Here you can get a 1 year waiver, after that your screwed!
Seems like all the California laws spread this way to Az!
Edited by Azbornman, Oct 20 2008, 10:01 PM.

Azbornman
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Ok JM, here is the results from the compression test: 160,170,120- dry

160,170,130-wet

Also, all vacuum lines are in good condition and in their proper places.

Edited by Azbornman, Oct 26 2008, 01:33 PM.

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Hi-Tech Redneck

Looks like it's time for exhaust valves...............

http://geometroforum.com/topic/638797/

dale002

I agreed with johnny, You need to recondition the cylinder head. While you have the head off you may want to check your cylinders and see if you can get away with a std. ring job as well. Very easy to do and can be done while the engine is installed. As for removing old decals, I used a heat gun and a plastic scraper.
Good Luck and welcome!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Intake and Exhaust Systems · Next Topic »
Add Reply