Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Project Dingo; G16B iso car
Topic Started: Dec 22 2016, 01:57 AM (867 Views)
suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

Some of you may have read about my Locutus project (1991 JDM Cultus). I haven't updated that thread for a while as I am sorting out a potential engine issue with the car.

Worst case, I may need an engine...Best case, a new water pump.. I need another distraction while I contemplate and worry.. So off I go to my favorite auto wrecking yard for some R & R!

All too often, I imagine the tidy row of Metros and Swifts chattering amongst themselves, while sitting in the wrecking yard. Are these poor cars glaring at the DIY people, roaming the yard in the light of day? They see them arrive, with their wheelbarrows, and red boxes filled with well worn wrenches, and a glint in their eye. Are they coming for me?

I hear a faint growl in the distance.. a junkyard dog perhaps?

Posted Image

And there it is, a familiar engine, but something's different about this one.. taller block, cables to the transmission? Could it be.. a G16B? Out of a 1992 Suzuki Swift sedan, just like the ones the Australians get to drive!

Posted Image

Off with the head cover? Not bad, not bad at all. Why do people just take the oil caps??? Why? Oh well.. that'll clean up..
Posted Image

WTF, oh no the rain is coming. Take cover! Managed to remove the head, intake and exhaust manifold, and close up the hood before getting soaked to the gills. Looking like a drowned rat, the yard manager said just take it, and come back to get the rest of the engine, and settle up with us when the rain stops..
Posted Image

Two days later, I'm back. It's funny how muddy a gravel field can get after a lot of rain. The 4 ton crane hoist in place, ready to lift out the remaining bottom half of the drivetrain - as the chains grapple and groan as the massive 100 pounds of engine block (and tranny!) emerges from the engine bay..
Posted Image

After loading up the parts into my 2000 Metro with its passenger seat removed... Well, now that I have an engine, what should I do with it?

Time for some breakfast at Denny's to get inspiration. And then it hits me. Of course.. I will call this Project Dingo!

Posted Image

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

idmetro
Member Avatar

Will you be building a fence to keep Dingo corralled? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingo_Fence
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Stiffchezze
Member Avatar
Sir Metrologist

:popcorn

I know it's a little fugly, but did you grab the hood sound deading? I've never seen one in the real world.

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

Stiffchezze
Dec 22 2016, 04:19 PM

I know it's a little fugly, but did you grab the hood sound deading? I've never seen one in the real world.
Nope. The hood pad is pretty standard on most Swifts of this vintage. Sadly, a few days after the car gave up Dingo (its G16B drivetrain ), I went back to the yard to get the 4th engine mount a torque rod bolted to the chassis i forgot to remove .. and saw only freshly groomed gravel where the car was.. Panicked, I asked the counter folks if the car hsd been moved?

The man held up his hands about a foot and a half apart and said.. The car is now a square block this big. :O

Idmetro: it looks like I should have built a Dingo fence to keep the car in the yard a few more days!

Stiffchezze
Member Avatar
Sir Metrologist

:shake
Looks like your in the same spot I am. missing some small, yet crucial parts. :banghead

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

Missing parts can sure be a drag. That's why a complete running donor car, in retrospect, would have been a better choice than shopping a wrecking yard after the car has been there for a while.

I always try to take a picture of the VIN (and if the hood is still there, :) ) the hood emissions tag, so that parts identification at a Suzuki dealer or online parts diagrams, is still possible.

Posted Image

Some of the missing parts from Dingo were the top part of its TBI. (I have recently found a proper replacement)

Posted Image

and since the tranny was sooo greasy from a bad seal.., I left it attached to the engine.. Starter was missing, but did get the intermediate axle shaft and rear engine mount brackets. Thankfully the starter will be the same as used on all Japanese built Swift G series engines. I pulled the shifter cables, hydraulic clutch master and slave cylinders, clutch pedal and pedal shafts and rods specific for this transmission.

Posted Image

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

I just read Stiffchezze's post about decoding his G16B engine serial number.

After cleaning off Dingo's engine block a bit, its engine ID reads G16N801746, which makes it a 1992 year date code, and the 6 digit sequential code makes it the 801,746th engine built for that year. (or the 1,746th engine if the first 8 is considered to be the starting digit.)

Just for grins, the Suzuki G16B 16V engine first appeared in 1991 in the Suzuki Escudo (Sidekick), and was an upgrade to the G16A 8 valve engine. Both of these early engines had TBI fuel injection. The Suzuki Swift sedan sold in Canada came with the optional G16B 16V TBI engine, from 1992-1994. The rarest version of this car came with a 5 speed large frame, hydraulic clutch equipped AWD transmission.

In 1995, the engine was still called a G16B, but came equipped with Multi port fuel injection. At that time, Suzuki Cultus Crescents (called the Esteem in North America) were equipped with this engine also.
Edited by suzukitom, Dec 29 2016, 11:34 PM.

3 Pot
3 Pot
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

Missing parts can sure be a drag.

Tom,

A few of the Washington Yards have a few. A month to two old though.

3 Pot

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

3 Pot
Dec 30 2016, 01:22 AM
Quote:

Missing parts can sure be a drag.

Tom,

A few of the Washington Yards have a few. A month to two old though.

3 Pot
Thanks for the tip 3 Pot, :cheers

I see that the Pic N Pull in Arlington has a older 1.6 Esteem. Is that the one you meant?

Probably the most significant part for me to try to get would be the bell housing from the transmission, as it would allow it to be used with the smaller case manual transmission used in Swifts/Metros.

Stiffchezze
Member Avatar
Sir Metrologist

Number one on my list is the half shaft on the passenger side. (Hoping to get lucky this weekend)

Can't you use the belhousing from the tranny you got with the engine? I keep going back and forth. On one hand, I'm probably going to have to build the transmission I want anyway, so I might as well get a bellhousing, BUT, I like the idea of being able to quickly change transmissions too. :hmm

A couple of options I'm currently looking at are:
Commercial available
Link--->1.6 Transmission Adapter by PETROWORKS
and
Homemade
Link--->1.6 swap without adapter plate

BTW
Hotrodray1 is also working on a similar setup. He has reported an issue with an adapter plate, but I haven't confirmed it with him yet.

Also, I'm fairly certain the first 8 is a check digit. ;)

Car Nut
Member Avatar

I wish our local pic a part would set the cars on rims like that. Our guys just pull the wheels, drain the gas, and drop the cars out in the field. They won't lift up the car for love or money, if you need something underneath it.

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

Quote:

Can't you use the belhousing from the tranny you got with the engine? I keep going back and forth. On one hand, I'm probably going to have to build the transmission I want anyway, so I might as well get a bellhousing, BUT, I like the idea of being able to quickly change transmissions too. :hmm

Yes, I could use that transmission bell housing, but as it is part of the large frame hydraulic clutch transmission, I would need to find some parts for it first: I am missing the 4th transmission mount torque arm parts, and the shifter itself. (It's also a very heavy transmission, which is probably why Esteems with the 1.6 and the smaller Swift/Geo manual transmission are worn-out or broken.) I haven't decided which transmission to use yet, probably because I also haven't decided which car will become home for Dingo yet. :hmm .. My goal is for Dingo (the G16B) to be refurbished and built to run on a drivetrain stand initially, complete with all mounts and axles inserted into knuckles bolted in place. (Perfect for dimensional reference purposes!)

BTW, I don't know yet if the mid shaft axle diameter you are looking for.. could be larger on a 1.6 drivetrain, compared to that which is used on a 1.3 engine/transmission combination. The input shaft used on the Swift sedan large frame transmission is quite a bit bigger than the input shaft used on the tranny used on 1.3/1.0 engines. I have confirmed that much, but haven't fully researched what axle options are available yet for each transmission that can work with a G16B.

Edited by suzukitom, Dec 30 2016, 06:09 PM.

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

Quote:

wish our local pic a part would set the cars on rims like that. Our guys just pull the wheels, drain the gas, and drop the cars out in the field. They won't lift up the car for love or money, if you need something underneath it

Car Nut, I know what you mean.

Pic N Pull locations have some differences from this independent Pic A Part.. For example, Pic N Pull punctures all gas tanks to drain them.. which means you will never be able to buy a usable gas tanks. They do offer you the possibility of buying a complete, re-registerable car though..

Pic A Part leaves everything in place after taking the wheels off, and propping them up on gravel fields.
They drain all fluids by cutting hoses or by removing and then replacing the drain plugs.
They won't sell complete cars and they don't allow gas/welding torches or any powered tools other than cordless tools in the yard.

10 years ago, most junk yards in Vancouver had counter people that would not even give you a price, unless and until you wandered their unorganized, muddy yards with cars that might have sat there for years.. pulled out a part yourself (using whatever means you wanted) and dragged it back to their trailer. :ermm:

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

Quote:

Missing parts can sure be a drag. That's why a complete running donor car, in retrospect, would have been a better choice than shopping a wrecking yard after the car has been there for a while

Hey, I just quoted myself here. Well I just had to do something about my missing parts situation. More tomorrow.. :drool

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

Dingo's transmission was missing some small parts as well as a cable shifter assembly, which was like looking for a gnat-sized pin in a giant haystack.

So after weeks of looking through listings, I noticed a complete and cheap Suzuki Esteem parts car with the large frame transmission, just after the city just dumped about 7,000 tonnes of salt on the roads while temperatures remained below freezing and side roads icy. The seller said the car was still barely driveable, but the steering was a bit wonky. I went to look at it and confirm whether the transmission and shifter was still good.

The seller and I in the car, the (J18) engine purring quietly, and let out the clutch. The car took off smoothly.. 100 feet down the road, clunk.. and rolled to a stop.

The left front wheel goes left and down hard, like a tired camel to its knees, while the right wheel remained straight. Looked underneath. Umm.. :hmm Is the control arm supposed to hang down like that? Major Price drop! Call a tow truck..

Posted Image

Edited by suzukitom, Jan 13 2017, 03:09 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Project Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply