Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
94 Metro - Hardly any heat unless idling at stop
Topic Started: Jan 3 2017, 10:37 PM (176 Views)
CharlestonMetro
[ *  *  * ]
Having a strange issue with my girlfriend's 94 Metro. Here is what is happening:

Lukewarm to non-existent heat with the temperature gauge always on C. Until she is stopped at a stoplight. Then the temperature gauge in the car starts to climb and she gets heat.

Coolant is full. Car doesn't overheat.

I want to make sure I am barking up the right tree. Water pump? Thermostat? Heater Core?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MarkZ28

If it gets hotter at idle, you probably have a stuck open or missing thermostat. Bad water pump ir plugged radiator would overheat at speed and be a little cooler at idle.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Woodie
Member Avatar

Thermostat.

sphenicie

^^^^ agreed^^^^

this would be a good opportunity to flush your cooling system, since you will have to open it anyway. if your coolant has not been replaced in the last 2 years, now would be a good time.

Car Nut
Member Avatar

Thermostat would be my vote.

Mr_Coffee
[ *  *  * ]
Another vote for missing thermostat or stuck open.

LesCrapp
Member Avatar
Legend

Yeah what they said!.. :thumb :rocker

CharlestonMetro
[ *  *  * ]
THANK YOU, folks! That was the problem. The existing thermostat was indeed stuck open. Now the GF has more heat than she knows what to do with. Love this forum! Thanks guys!

Car Nut
Member Avatar

CharlestonMetro
Jan 8 2017, 02:21 PM
THANK YOU, folks! That was the problem. The existing thermostat was indeed stuck open. Now the GF has more heat than she knows what to do with. Love this forum! Thanks guys!
You're welcome. Bill for services forthcoming. :lol

Krajniak
Member Avatar
Krajniak
[ *  *  * ]
I need to check mine as i am having the same issue, about tired of working on her though lol

LesCrapp
Member Avatar
Legend

Krajniak
Jan 8 2017, 07:29 PM
I need to check mine as i am having the same issue, about tired of working on her though lol
Know what you mean!.. :shake The only thing that makes up for it is when the gas pump snaps off at $20.00 and you watch the Big SUV's gurgle down about $75.00 then its seems like its worth the work!.. :cheers

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Fear the Mullet

Glad you got some heat now!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Car Nut
Member Avatar

LesCrapp
Jan 8 2017, 08:03 PM
Krajniak
Jan 8 2017, 07:29 PM
Know what you mean!.. :shake The only thing that makes up for it is when the gas pump snaps off at $20.00 and you watch the Big SUV's gurgle down about $75.00 then its seems like its worth the work!.. :cheers
The only way I'd own something that sucks that much gas, is if it was making me money. IE: Work truck, tow truck, limo, whatever. Otherwise, no way.

CharlestonMetro
[ *  *  * ]
Johnny Mullet
Jan 8 2017, 08:19 PM
Glad you got some heat now!
Me too. Thanks Johnny!

The thermostat that was in there was a lot different than the one AutoZone sold me. I confirmed on their site it was the right one. It was just smaller and fit looser. But it works fine.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Air Conditioning/Heating · Next Topic »
Add Reply