Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New job... Delivering pizza in a Metro again!; First time in 8 years.
Topic Started: Jan 6 2017, 05:27 AM (690 Views)
nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

holy shit. I have only scored a night with benjamin 6 times in 3 years.

if I take home $60 I am doing good and that is a 9 hours shift. wow and we only get 19cents a mile ($1.20 per delivery I average .19 to .21 a mile (average just over 6 miles per) and 7.25/$4.50 split pay.

man my life sucks compared to that. I do like doing it though. I had to put gas in the tracker tonight. first time in 18 months :-)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GeoStalker
Member Avatar
"Chicks dig me and guys think I'm cool."

Cobrajet25
Jan 8 2017, 02:41 AM
I like to make $10 per hour in tips, plus whatever I make on the clock, plus mileage ($0.31/mile). I worked seven hours today and made $72.27 in tips (bad for a Seahawks playoff day). I drove 101 miles at $0.31 per mile, so that is another $31.31. Seven hours on the clock at $11.00 an hour, but I subtract $1.00 per hour for gas and income taxes. So that is another $70.

So $72.27 + $31.31 + $70 / 7 = $24.79 per hour.
So your employer gives you an extra $0.31 per mile? I would assume you also claim your miles on your taxes, which was $0.54 for 2016. Have you done an analysis showing any differential in the tax write-off versus maintenance and fuel costs in your Metro, if any?

Cobrajet25
Member Avatar

GeoStalker
Jan 9 2017, 10:34 AM
Cobrajet25
I like to make $10 per hour in tips, plus whatever I make on the clock, plus mileage ($0.31/mile). I worked seven hours today and made $72.27 in tips (bad for a Seahawks playoff day). I drove 101 miles at $0.31 per mile, so that is another $31.31. Seven hours on the clock at $11.00 an hour, but I subtract $1.00 per hour for gas and income taxes. So that is another $70.

So your employer gives you an extra $0.31 per mile? I would assume you also claim your miles on your taxes, which was $0.54 for 2016. Have you done an analysis showing any differential in the tax write-off versus maintenance and fuel costs in your Metro, if any?
Yes, we are I am paid $0.31 per mile. It varies a little from driver to driver depending on what we drive. The store's computer system uses Google Maps to determine how far we drove on all of our deliveries, and we get that amount at the end of each shift. I haven't claimed my mileage in the past, but will this year. I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you are paid for mileage by your employer then you can't write it off (because they do), but I don't know if that is true. Maybe I can write off the difference between what is paid and what is allowed to be written off? :hmm

The only maintenance the car has needed this year is a set of tires (new car take-offs I bought from a Mirage Forumer), a set of brake pads, and about three oil changes. I use between $20 and $25 a week in fuel.

So right about $1500 for all of that for the year.

They used to pay us a flat rate, but changed it after they were sued by a driver in Texas for violating minimum wage laws by under-compensating drivers for fuel and maintenance.
Edited by Cobrajet25, Jan 10 2017, 12:48 AM.

GeoStalker
Member Avatar

Cobrajet25
Jan 10 2017, 12:46 AM
GeoStalker
Jan 9 2017, 10:34 AM
Cobrajet25

Yes, we are I am paid $0.31 per mile. It varies a little from driver to driver depending on what we drive. The store's computer system uses Google Maps to determine how far we drove on all of our deliveries, and we get that amount at the end of each shift. I haven't claimed my mileage in the past, but will this year. I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you are paid for mileage by your employer then you can't write it off (because they do), but I don't know if that is true. Maybe I can write off the difference between what is paid and what is allowed to be written off? :hmm

The only maintenance the car has needed this year is a set of tires (new car take-offs I bought from a Mirage Forumer), a set of brake pads, and about three oil changes. I use between $20 and $25 a week in fuel.

So right about $1500 for all of that for the year.

They used to pay us a flat rate, but changed it after they were sued by a driver in Texas for violating minimum wage laws by under-compensating drivers for fuel and maintenance.
Per TurboTax. It depends how your employer taxes it.

If your employer is reimbursing you for work-related miles on your personal vehicle, the tax treatment depends on several factors.

Does your employer include the mileage reimbursement in your taxable pay? If so, you can deduct the miles driven as a job-related expense along with your itemized deductions. Turbo Tax will do the calculation for you.

If your employer reimburses you the IRS standard mileage rate of 56.5 cents per mile but does not include it in your pay, there is nothing to claim for tax purposes.

If your employer pays less than the 56.5 cent rate, you can enter your miles in the job-related expense section. A follow-up question will ask if you were reimbursed for any of your mileage. Enter the total your employer reimbursed you, and you will be able to deduct the difference.

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

Correct. sadly SOME states don't allow you to claim any mileage at all which should be illegal since they are now taxing me on expenses that are not mine.

but yes. I do it easier than that. I am not required to report my mileage paid by my employer to the IRS at all so I do not.

I take the total mileage I was paid by the employer for example this year I drove IIRC (still calculating it) 26,500 miles for my employer.

in 1935 deliveries i have been compensated $2322 or enough to cover 4300 miles. so I can still claim 22,200 miles at 54 cents a mile.

much easier and I don't have to tell them what I got since i am not required too to begin with. the less they know the better.

Hanuman
"The Almighty Grounds Cleaner"

Last night was the worst shift ever......0.66 cents in tips.....lol

Car Nut
Member Avatar

66 cents???? Sad state of affairs there.

Cobrajet25
Member Avatar

Hanuman
Jan 10 2017, 06:00 PM
How long did you work? How many deliveries did you take?

Richard Kaltenbach

Jeez, I Don't Miss This Line Of Work! Sure Don't PAY Worth A Crap Either.

They Can Have That Stupid L.A. Courier Messenger Industry With All My Compliments. Got Sick Of Beverly Hills, Downtown L.A., Wilshire District, Century City, UCLA Westwood, Brentwood, And East Encino!

This Shit Is Also Bad For Any Geo Metro! I Dont Care About What Anyone Says!

Those METER MAIDS And LAPD Are Your Worst Enemies!

Hanuman
"The Almighty Grounds Cleaner"

Cobrajet25
Jan 10 2017, 10:11 PM
Hanuman
Jan 10 2017, 06:00 PM
How long did you work? How many deliveries did you take?
4 hours. 1 delivery........the restraunt was just dead all day.
Guy hands me a 20$.....says keep the change.
I looked at the ticket....19.33$
:smackface

nerys
Member Avatar
Grr

ouch.

GeoStalker
Member Avatar

I've had many a night....rain pouring down on me....when the customer wanted his nickel back on a $19.95 order. :banghead

The way our shop worked was that you would do your money every night. You start off with a $20 bank to make change, which you returned at the end of the night. You then take the sheets and add up all of your delivery totals and hand that money back to the bank as well. What remained was yours in tips.

In the beginning my boss paid me $0.50 per delivery, but then upped it to $1.00 per delivery (which was actually paid by the customer on top of their food order). Tips would normally average $1.00 to $1.50 depending on order size, time of year (Christmas, bad weather, etc.).

In later years I delivered for him "under the table" for $10.00 an hour, because he needed a good driver who knew the streets and addresses and treated the customers right. It was not uncommon to take 75 deliveries on a Friday night between 4:00pm to 1:00am. So my pay on Fridays would look something like this....

9 hours x $10.00 = $90.00
75 deliveries @ $1.00 per (paid by customer) = $75.00
75 deliveries @ $1.50 tip = $112.50
Average Friday night (all under the table in later years) = $277.50 max, but always made over $200 I never claimed mileage with the IRS because it was under the table primarily.

So here I am....30 years old or so at the time.....college educated and working for a Fortune 100 company, and all my friends and family were asking "Why do you delivery pizza? Isn't that beneath you?"

Well let's see.....I owned two paid off cars, had a small mortgage, and a nice 401(k) and savings....all because I basically lived off the pizza money and invested everything else. I get to meet new people, see old friends, listen to music, sip Mountain Dew, and cruise the same streets I did in high school (nostalgia). Here I am now....50 years of age...and I'd still be delivering pizzas if my friend owned the shop. But sadly he sold out and moved out of state, and the new owner started skimping on prices and quality and lost a bunch of customers in the process.

Horn

I've read you guys on here brag about how much you make delivering, yet I have known quite a few delivery drivers and they are never bragging about it.

From my understanding, they were always paid a few dollars per hour and some really small amount per delivery (plus a tip). How the hell do you guys get that much money?

I'm going back to school and can't find a decent job to save my life. (I do make money in other ways so I don't need a job). I was thinking about delivering part time. Any tips on the best places to work for. The town I live in is a nice town. Low crime. No college kids. No tourists. It is one of those nicer towns that are driving distance to a nice city. There is money in this town, but far from a rich town. It seems like it would be ok for delivering, but at the same time, I think it would be too small. 10k people.

scratchpaddy
Member Avatar
Not so fast

Horn
Jan 11 2017, 01:12 PM
The town I live in is a nice town. Low crime. No college kids. No tourists.
Who's going to buy all the pizza, then?

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Horn

scratchpaddy
Jan 11 2017, 02:07 PM
Horn
Jan 11 2017, 01:12 PM
The town I live in is a nice town. Low crime. No college kids. No tourists.
Who's going to buy all the pizza, then?

Average families that are getting off work or don't feel like cooking

I don't think having a bunch of broke college kids equals high dollars in tips. Someone with experience could say for sure.

3 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Members: LeoGeo
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Geo Metro Lounge · Next Topic »
Add Reply