Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How/where can I install a tach in my 99; add on tach
Topic Started: Jan 8 2017, 08:41 AM (347 Views)
tteerryy
[ *  *  * ]
Hi,
It's gotten to the point where I want a tach in my little green wonder.
Can someone chime in and tell me the easiest way to put a tach in?
Just a simple gauge.
Thanks in advance for help,
Terry
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bjetmech
Member Avatar

Easiest way is to replace the instrument cluster that has a tach in it. Those are plug and play.
Edited by Bjetmech, Jan 8 2017, 11:57 AM.

Murf 59
Member Avatar

If you can find one a stock unit works great. If you can't look up Glow shift. They make a small tach that works with our 3 cyl engines.

Mythstae
Member Avatar

I can't remember offhand which year they went to coil packs instead of a distributor; if you have a distributor, a factory tachometer instrument cluster is plug and play.
If you have coil packs, you have to do a mod to use a stock tachometer.
Here is the thread on converting the tachometer:

Distributor to Coil Pack Tachometer Conversion, by aaronvincent

(Ah, I see, according to his thread information, the switch was in 98?)

Hope this helps!

Also, if you are replacing your instrument cluster, you may need the information in another of Aaron's threads:

Odometer Rollback (or forward); A How To

tteerryy
[ *  *  * ]
thanks very much Guys... So... In my '99, then I have to do a mod with stock tach?
Can someone who has actually done that chime in and tell me where to hook up?? or will that just be in the instructions in the box... that I tend to not read...

Mythstae
Member Avatar

tteerryy
Jan 8 2017, 04:30 PM
Can someone who has actually done that chime in and tell me where to hook up??
If you install a stock tachometer cluster, you plug it in using the same wires that the original cluster plugged in with. You have to modify the cluster before you install it, but once that's done, it's plug and play.

tteerryy
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks again for getting back...What I am thinking is not replacing anything but adding on just a tach that I mount somewhere in the driver area

MR1 Kingsbury
Member Avatar
Exp. builder/rebuilder

tteerryy
Jan 8 2017, 05:19 PM
Thanks again for getting back...What I am thinking is not replacing anything but adding on just a tach that I mount somewhere in the driver area
why would you want to do that... You can get an entire cluster cheaper than a junkie aftermarket tachometer. And it is so much more professional and original appearing, that to do anything other is just ridiculous

Mythstae
Member Avatar

MR1 Kingsbury
Jan 8 2017, 10:03 PM
tteerryy
Jan 8 2017, 05:19 PM
why would you want to do that... You can get an entire cluster cheaper than a junkie aftermarket tachometer. And it is so much more professional and original appearing, that to do anything other is just ridiculous
Doing a project a different way isn't ridiculous.
I personally would not install an aftermarket tachometer; but if tteerryy wants to do it that way, good for him.
Unfortunately I can't give any advice about how to do so, having not done it myself.
Sorry, tteerryy!

Woodie
Member Avatar

First off what engine do you have, four cylinder or three? If you have a three cylinder, any three cylinder instrument panel from 95-00 will plug right in and work, that's the best way to go by far. If you have a four cylinder, you must either modify a three cylinder or 95-97 four cylinder one, or find a 98-01 four cylinder instrument panel, and they're a little bit rare.

There are two drawbacks to an aftermarket tach, it's a thief magnet, and you have to cut into the wiring of the car. Unless you're willing and capable of reading the directions, finding all the right wires according to the service manual, and doing a proper job with a soldering iron and shrink wrap tubing, I don't recommend it.

sphenicie

the "Glowshift" universal tach is a great tach.. actually quite costly if you don't look around. got one for $50 factory special. you do NOT need to butcher your harness. one crimp on end to connect to the neg coil. that's it, well and tie in (+). available in blue or red display.
another nice kicker for a digital tach is that it functions as a "coil gauge". if your coil begins to fail, you will get radical swings in the display.

if you want a stock cluster it is easiest to use a 3 cyl for a 3 cyl, 4 cyl for a 4 cyl. BUT, you can swap out the resistors to convert.

there are cool piller mounts (I used this style ) or I have mounted gauges where the ashtray is. Barney had the tach on the left piller, and oil pres, vac, and temp down at the ashtray. I can send pix if you would like.

Island Metro
[ *  *  * ]
Equus also sells a couple tachs for our 3 cyl engines. 6088, 6068, and i believe the 8068. All at different prices. I bought the equus 6068 tach last year and installed it to the left of my steering wheel. Im happy with it.

Very easy install:

Green wire is the signal, spliced into ign coil neg. Red wire is power just plugs into the 20A ign fuse in the fuse block by your leg, or you can get a fuse tap.. The white wire splices into the dimmer switch for lighting (cant tell you which wire as i have a 94 so wiring will probably be different). And the black is grounded where the dimmer switch grounds. Next to the fuse block.
Edited by Island Metro, Jan 11 2017, 12:41 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tteerryy
[ *  *  * ]
thanks for all the great info...I would like to see a pic of that completed pillar and ashtray mount...as far a a dif cluster, I kinda want to keep it factory, other than this add on and I'll add on so I can take off without damage.

so..this should work right??

Equus Tachometer 0-8000 rpm 2 1/2" Analog Electrical Ea 6086

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Equus-Tachometer-0-8000-rpm-2-1-2-Analog-Electrical-Ea-6086-/131303427525?hash=item1e924b4dc5:g:lOoAAOSwcUBYR9R8&vxp=mtr

91 ragtop
Member Avatar

O'reilly auto parts sells Equus electrical components. They could get you one quicker than on ebay.

Ken.........

Bad Bent
Member Avatar
Facetious Educated Donkey

Here is my 5" Sunpro tach mounted in my '91 Geo.

Posted Image

I don't have a pic of the Wife's 2-1/2" tach which sits in the same position as mine.

A pillar mount would be sweet though. :rocker

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Electrical Systems · Next Topic »
Add Reply