Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Blower stopped working -- no heat
Topic Started: Jan 9 2017, 01:35 PM (619 Views)
shaft
Member Avatar

Of course this has to happened to me (no heat) when it was 10 degrees this morning. On my way to work today, heat and blower was working great and suddenly the blower stopped. One minute later it kicked back on but only lasted about 2 mins and would not work after that.

I'm assuming the blower motor finally died?

Any other possibilities or anything I should look for to diagnose this problem? I'm really clueless specially when it comes to electrical stuff. thank you.
Edited by shaft, Jan 9 2017, 01:36 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

Maybe not. No fan at any speed selected?

The intermittent operation sounds more like a loose wire or connector than a bad motor. Check other red/ black wire connector is plugged in. You can see it by looking upwards under the glove box area from the passenger footwell
Edited by suzukitom, Jan 9 2017, 02:21 PM.

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Fear the Mullet

maybe moisture/ice in the motor? Can you get it in a warm garage or maybe remove the motor and try drying it out?

shaft
Member Avatar

suzukitom
Jan 9 2017, 02:21 PM
Maybe not. No fan at any speed selected?

The intermittent operation sounds more like a loose wire or connector than a bad motor. Check other red/ black wire connector is plugged in. You can see it by looking upwards under the glove box area from the passenger footwell
None of the fan speed is working -- completely dead.

Not intermittent operation since it has not worked since the 2nd time is stopped this morning.

myredvert
Member Avatar
myredvert

Factory Service Manual

TROUBLESHOOTING HINTS
(Perform before beginning System Diagnosis)
1. Check HTR Fuse with a fuse tester.
2. Check that G203 is clean and tight.
First step for diagnosing an electrical problem when an isolated component or components stop working... Check the security and condition of the circuit protection. While the intermittent nature might seem to suggest a wire or connection as suzukitom already mentioned, I would still suggest starting with the easiest (fastest, cheapest) things to check before working your way up to the more complicated.

If you are extremely lucky you'll find a fuse on the floor. Wintertime wearing bigger shoes/boots makes it easier to bump into things under the dash like wiring, connectors, and fuses without feeling it.

The HTR fuse is in the junction block (under the dash) and the blower fan is the only item powered by it. Fuses can work loose, causing an intermittent problem.

Junction block (under the dash), left column of fuses, 20A fuse at the bottom of that group. I would suggest either checking the continuity of the fuse with a multimeter or swapping it out with a known good fuse rather than just visually inspecting it. Occasionally a fuse can go bad but be undetectable by visual inspection alone.

If the fuse is good, then move on to checking the junction block ground, which is the bolt holding that plastic board with all the fuses and connectors. That's not likely to be the problem since everything else is working normally, but it's simple and free to eliminate that possibility.

If the fuse and ground are good, then it's time to check the condition and security of all the connectors between the junction block and the blower motor, followed by checking where in the circuit you do and do not have voltage. There are several ways you can do these steps, but one way is to check for voltage with the switch on at the blower motor itself. If there is voltage available its the motor, if not, it's something in the circuit "upstream" in the circuit.

If you aren't comfortable performing these types of checks or you just aren't very patient, deliberate, and careful, you may want to consider taking it to a professional - this type of diagnosis should take minimal time. To make their job easier and quicker, you caneven provide them with wiring schematics and junction block details of the circuits involved. Those are available in the 1994 factory Service Manual in the Forum library.

Sticking metal proby thingies in electrical terminals while occasionally twisting your head, hands, fingers, elbows, and shoulder into some unnatural positions while semi upside down isn't for everyone. Some days I wish I owned a trained, triple jointed hamster with Cirque du Soleil experience, that also worked as an electrician on his off days and can read a schematic in the dark upside down, and who already owns his/her own hamster sized multimeter that dispenses rodent treats every time they correctly verify each component and wiring section of a circuit. If it has a Rock Auto account with an huge balance and knows the triple secret 40% off discount code, that's a bonus. :thumb
Quote:

Not intermittent operation since it has not worked since the 2nd time is stopped this morning.
If it stopped once, then worked again, then stopped again, that's "intermittent." It might not be intermittent now, but it was intermittent before it wasn't.

Mr_Coffee
[ *  *  * ]
Mine went out about 8 years ago. I think the brushes were toast. Anyway snagged a used one on ebay for $2.00. still works. :rocker

Check here in the parts forum for a good used one or else ebay.

Edited by Mr_Coffee, Jan 9 2017, 05:49 PM.

LesCrapp
Member Avatar
Legend

There is a post on here somewhere about using a ZipTie on the speed selector switch..

Found this one for "95" http://geometroforum.com/forum/486462/
Edited by LesCrapp, Jan 9 2017, 08:46 PM.

shaft
Member Avatar

Well I guess its intermittent now since it worked again this morning and stayed on the whole time on my way to work.

Thanks for all the input Myredvert and to the rest of the folks. Will check on the things you suggested this Friday when its going to be 70 degrees.

Edited by shaft, Jan 10 2017, 08:00 AM.

LesCrapp
Member Avatar
Legend

shaft
Jan 10 2017, 07:59 AM
Well I guess its intermittent now since it worked again this morning and stayed on the whole time on my way to work.

Thanks for all the input Myredvert and to the rest of the folks. Will check on the things you suggested this Friday when its going to be 70 degrees.

Sorry the link didn't post right http://geometroforum.com/topic/4541259/1/ this if for the selector switch (Fan Speed) mine was intermittent... Good luck!

shaft
Member Avatar

LesCrapp
Jan 10 2017, 09:44 PM
shaft
Jan 10 2017, 07:59 AM

Sorry the link didn't post right http://geometroforum.com/topic/4541259/1/ this if for the selector switch (Fan Speed) mine was intermittent... Good luck!
Appreciate the link.

wahoospa
Advanced Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
I know this post is a year old but I have the same problem I think. If the engine is running the blower won't kick in. With the key turned to the accessory position and engine not running the blower works. I checked all the fuses under the dash and all are good. So with the engine running I decided to put a little pressure on the switch as if I was turning it off and it works. Seems the problem is in the ignition switch. Is the ignition switch going bad or can I repair the switch?

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

wahoospa
Mar 9 2018, 02:45 PM
I know this post is a year old but I have the same problem I think. If the engine is running the blower won't kick in. With the key turned to the accessory position and engine not running the blower works. I checked all the fuses under the dash and all are good. So with the engine running I decided to put a little pressure on the switch as if I was turning it off and it works. Seems the problem is in the ignition switch. Is the ignition switch going bad or can I repair the switch?
it does sound like your switch contacts if wiggling the key makes a difference.

Read this post by Stiffchezze also.
http://geometroforum.com/topic/5074669/1/

Snappster
[ *  * ]
I recently lost my blower after several years of only having high fan speed. Read through the posts regarding zip tying the speed selector switch and started there. Was pretty easy to get to it and it had indeed fallen apart. I cleaned up the copper, applied a little dielectric grease, and zipped tied it together. I now have slow and medium fan speed in addition to fast. Even managed to not lose the detent ball and spring and it works too. Thanks to the posters on this forum.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Air Conditioning/Heating · Next Topic »
Add Reply