Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Shootin' the breeze and questions
Topic Started: Jan 9 2017, 09:53 PM (306 Views)
Fastlane1221
WolfBearMoon
[ *  *  * ]
Today I started my journey into the automotive business by attending my first day of Auto Tech classes. I told my instructor that I had a Geo Metro and he told me that I should just take a stick of dynamite and blow it up. Definitely sensing some disrespect for the Metro with this teacher but he at least knows where the boundary lies with making fun of my car. It doesn't really bother me too much though because without my Geo Metro I wouldn't even be in his class. Thank God I am thick skinned and can take anything as a joke.

I did ask him about possibly rebuilding my own engine or a similar engine when I eventually attend the engine portion of the auto tech classes and he said that it would be a definite possibility, I of course would have to supply parts and the engine as well as wait until the Fall semester to attend that portion of my training. I might take the opportunity to do this but I need another engine to work on as well as parts for the engine. Are there any suppliers for used engines that I could look into as well as suppliers for good quality engine rebuild kits? I have a 1996 geo Metro Lsi with a 1.3L SOHC G13BA engine.

Thank you.
Edited by Fastlane1221, Jan 9 2017, 09:53 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

Quote:

Are there any suppliers for used engines that I could look into as well as suppliers for good quality engine rebuild kits

Well, you could buy a parts car, or go to a wrecking yard, such as a local Pic N Pull. These options would be how you can find a good project engine, while it is installed in a specific car you want. (with car specific mounts etc.)

You can also evaluate the overall condition of the car it is in before you decide whether to pull the engine out. The price for a complete engine seems reasonable.

As for where to buy engine rebuild kits, Rockauto comes to mind, as they list many kits at different price levels.

Here is one of my favorite YouTube mechanics in a video post about finding and inspecting a good salvage yard engine.

Shrodingers Box:

Fastlane1221
WolfBearMoon
[ *  *  * ]
suzukitom
Jan 10 2017, 04:31 PM
Quote:

Are there any suppliers for used engines that I could look into as well as suppliers for good quality engine rebuild kits

Well, you could buy a parts car, or go to a wrecking yard, such as a local Pic N Pull. These options would be how you can find a good project engine, while it is installed in a specific car you want. (with car specific mounts etc.)

You can also evaluate the overall condition of the car it is in before you decide whether to pull the engine out. The price for a complete engine seems reasonable.

As for where to buy engine rebuild kits, Rockauto comes to mind, as they list many kits at different price levels.

Here is one of my favorite YouTube mechanics in a video post about finding and inspecting a good salvage yard engine.

Shrodingers Box:

Where I live we unfortunately do not have a Pic N Pull. We have 3 different salvage/junkyards but none of them have a Geo brand car in them. I have looked for cheap metros online as a parts car but they are few and far between. The only way I am going to get an engine it seems is to buy one off of ebay, which I really don't want to do, I have a distrust of ebay.

Bjetmech
Member Avatar

There are PnP's. Just not close by.

http://www.picknpull.com/locations.aspx

cwatkin

I believe there are some 1996 Geo Metros in a wrecking yard around here. I am in Rolla, MO 65401 and will call the place for you to see if they have what you want. I seem to recall there being a 3 cylinder for sure. One had a blown engine, the other a bad transmission. I don't really remember the details.

Conor
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Fastlane1221
WolfBearMoon
[ *  *  * ]
cwatkin
Jan 13 2017, 01:38 PM
I believe there are some 1996 Geo Metros in a wrecking yard around here. I am in Rolla, MO 65401 and will call the place for you to see if they have what you want. I seem to recall there being a 3 cylinder for sure. One had a blown engine, the other a bad transmission. I don't really remember the details.

Conor
I have the 4 cylinder 1.3L g13BA SOHC. Currently I don't have the available funds to rebuild an engine or let alone buy a donor car. I am just trying to figure out cost so that I can plan on what I will be doing this Summer. I might go back and work at Oak Ridge Cemetery here in Springfield again and so if I do, I would probably have the funds for such a project come May or June. However thank you for the offer, I might message you about mid year about this.

Sorry if I made it seem like I wanted to do this project on the double but, I always look at possible projects and try to figure out how I can end up doing them. Hell I still need to finish rebuilding my 1944 Walker Drill press. The motor is all taken apart but I need bearings, paint and primer as well as a few bits and bobs to clean off old paint and remove rust. Same for all the other parts.

Edited by Fastlane1221, Jan 13 2017, 09:26 PM.

cwatkin

I see. I think they wanted like $350 each for the cars. They might allow you to pull the engine and leave the rest for the same price or a little less. I don't know if that is agreeable to you but I suspect the cars are still there.

Conor
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Fastlane1221
WolfBearMoon
[ *  *  * ]
cwatkin
Jan 13 2017, 11:03 PM
I see. I think they wanted like $350 each for the cars. They might allow you to pull the engine and leave the rest for the same price or a little less. I don't know if that is agreeable to you but I suspect the cars are still there.

Conor
I wonder if a donor engine would fit snug in the back of my Metro? :lol

I have yet to take my car on the highway because to be honest I am afraid of the other drivers and the possibilities of failures that could occur on my car . I am 20 and even though I have had a license since I was 16 I haven't had a car until I bought the Metro over this past Summer so my Highway driving experience is almost none. The only times I drove on the highway, it was a Honda that my friends dad was teaching me to drive in. I am in a catch 22 predicament because my main concern of failure is the engine. :ashamed :scoobs

MR1 Kingsbury
Member Avatar
Exp. builder/rebuilder

Preplanning for a car project is admirable. You can use the information on this site, the people that post on this site, and your own intuition and budding skill to fully evaluate and confirm the health of your current metro before making the jump to install a rebuild.
Have you had any issues with it so far? Good oil, plugs, cap and wire tuneup, compression test, and brake inspection? My 1.3 sohc engines seem to be pretty robust. dont let any nuts into the intake... LOL That will end badly.

Fastlane1221
WolfBearMoon
[ *  *  * ]
MR1 Kingsbury
Jan 15 2017, 01:05 AM
Preplanning for a car project is admirable. You can use the information on this site, the people that post on this site, and your own intuition and budding skill to fully evaluate and confirm the health of your current metro before making the jump to install a rebuild.
Have you had any issues with it so far? Good oil, plugs, cap and wire tuneup, compression test, and brake inspection? My 1.3 sohc engines seem to be pretty robust. dont let any nuts into the intake... LOL That will end badly.
My engine doesn't drink oil or antifreeze. I change the oil every 3-4,000 miles with Valvoline long life synthetic 10W-30. My engine does leak oil around the crankshaft and cam seals and when I did do a compression test the lowest of the compression was 120 while the highest was around 150-160. Currently I either have a crack in the exhaust manifold or a bad exhaust gasket. When I bough the car it was only running on 3 cylinders because one of the spark plugs was fouled.

When I start my engine in the winter it does piston slap until i turn the car off and turn it on again.

Woodie
Member Avatar

Cracked exhaust manifolds are common on the MK4 (95-97) G13BA. The valve lifters are very tiny and are prone to clogging up. Id change to 5W-30 synthetic oil, it may clean things up and 5 is the recommended first number. I see no reason to distrust your car on the highway, once you've gotten up to speed highway miles are easiest of all on the engine.

perfesser
Member Avatar
Elite Member - Former Metro owner

Congratulations on your new career choice! There is a crying need for good techs who know how to do more than blindly chase trouble codes! (Codes only tell you where the problem was detected, not where it is located.)

It really helps to spend some time prepping for the rebuild. You are in no hurry right now to find a "new" engine. Wait for the sunny days to come! In the meantime, read all you can about how to rebuild a Geo engine. There's a link in my sig to my rebuild, and there are dozens more here if you poke around. Arm yourself with knowledge, because there are a few tricks in these engines, and I doubt your instructor has ever taken time to educate himself on these! :( :(

Fastlane1221
WolfBearMoon
[ *  *  * ]
I really don't think after closer inspection that it is the manifold that is cracked because when I put my hand over where the gasket is you can feel the exhaust escaping through the gap. Another thing that might have caused failure of the gasket is when my catalytic converter finally clogged up. I recently fixed the problem with my catalytic converter by replacing it but the pressure with the old cat was so much that I ended up having to drill holes through the bend before the cat to relieve the pressure because the pressure was bogging my car down.

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

Quote:

I wonder if a donor engine would fit snug in the back of my Metro?  

It's easier if you take the passenger seat out on a 3 door hatch. I've hauled a whole G16B this way. Bungee cords or chains are your friends to keep the engine secure from shifting or becoming a projectile.

MR1 Kingsbury
Member Avatar
Exp. builder/rebuilder

suzukitom
Jan 15 2017, 07:22 PM
Quote:

I wonder if a donor engine would fit snug in the back of my Metro?  

It's easier if you take the passenger seat out on a 3 door hatch. I've hauled a whole G16B this way. Bungee cords or chains are your friends to keep the engine secure from shifting or becoming a projectile.
a couple of junk tires will help to stabilize the engine for transport also.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Geo Metro Lounge · Next Topic »
Add Reply