Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Uh oh broke it!; Slid on ice and jumped curb.
Topic Started: Jan 11 2017, 12:13 AM (471 Views)
DesireeD
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
This morning I slid on ice and hit/jumped the curb with both wheels on the passenger side. Back hubcap came off, right front wheel pushed in at the bottom and tipped out at the top. I would like to get my 1993 Geo Metro convertable back on the road. I need to know what the pieces that broke are called so I can research how to fix them. I don't know of any local guys to help me and my Dad is busy. I'm pretty good at researching and fixing stuff, just don't know what all these parts are called to research. I took pictures but don't know how to upload them here. I had the car towed and is safe in my garage. Please help!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MarkZ28

You will most likely need a rim and probably the lower control arm assembly. Possibly the front wheel bearings and hub. Check tie rods also. Id check over rear rim for being tweaked, and see if the wheel is sticking out different than before, look for damaged suspension pieces back there.

Car Nut
Member Avatar

With the way you describe the injury to the front, i'd recommend a "knee" replacement, if purchasing used parts from a salvage yard. Yes there is such a part as a knee. It consists of a complete strut assembly, with the spindle and lower control arm attached. Probably will also need a replacement wheel. Keep in mind, we haven't been able to see the damage, so you might even have much more extensive damage, to the frame, ect. I just couldn't say about the rear, without seeing it.
Edited by Car Nut, Jan 11 2017, 12:55 PM.

geogonfa
Member Avatar

just some info: A JM quote " If you would like to post images on this board, it is highly recommended that you use an image site like Photobucket or Imageshack to host your images. You can then copy the URL of the hosted image and post it here on the board by using the "Image" button." :type
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DesireeD
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
Thanks guys. When I was done worrying that my beloved car was broke forever, I got real excited about getting to learn how to fix her. At work, I told a coworker that now I had a real opportunity, and they finished my sentence with, " to get a new car" I just looked at them like they had 3 heads, and told them no. Now I get to learn how to do suspension work. #geolife, #toplessvert
https://goo.gl/photos/YX4TiW8RTHPoLWz28
Edited by DesireeD, Jan 11 2017, 12:13 PM.

smysmbrg
Steve

My first metro the owner slid thru an icy corner into a curb. Said he was going 30mph. Cant remember which wheel but 1 hit the curb first and took the brunt of it. The frame horn on that side was pushed in. I tried to pull it out by hooking the back of the car to a tree and using a come along from the horn to another tree. Was not able to get it back to were it should be. Alignment was messed up and wore out the ball joint on that side very fast. Car is now on blocks for parts.
I hope nothing major is bent on your car. Look at the front frame horn really close. Have a proffessional 4 wheel alignment after you get the new parts on.
Good luck hope its savable

1DCGUY
Member Avatar
Don't be a "Richard"

DesireeD
Jan 11 2017, 11:50 AM
Thanks guys. When I was done worrying that my beloved car was broke forever, I got real excited about getting to learn how to fix her. At work, I told a coworker that now I had a real opportunity, and they finished my sentence with, " to get a new car" I just looked at them like they had 3 heads, and told them no. Now I get to learn how to do suspension work. #geolife, #toplessvert
https://goo.gl/photos/YX4TiW8RTHPoLWz28
Holy Crap!! :O :O

You had to have hit that curb really hard to rip the bolt out of the strut assembly!!
You are gonna need a new strut and inner tie rods just from the few pictures that I see.
You will also need to check the frame horns, as I'm sure if you hit that hard, there is no way they can be in the correct position.

Car Nut
Member Avatar

Yikes. Might want to get the frame area checked, by someone who knows about them, before investing in parts. I'm afraid where the lower control arm attaches to the frame, might be bent. Need to add an inner and outer tie rod to the list, like 1DCGUY mentioned.

MR1 Kingsbury
Member Avatar
Exp. builder/rebuilder

:gp DC Guy, I would also add the lower control arm and upper strut bearings. A body shop with a rack may be able to correct a frame horn bend and bring it back to specs and also align the wheels. Maybe you can get a shop to look at it in the garage and advise. definitely do the tie rods, lower control arm, strut(s) (cheaper by the set) and strut bearing before taking it in to the shop to save the costs.
With a new strut and control arm, it will be clear right away if the control arm mount (frame horn) is pushed. If the wheel is within an inch of being true vertical then you may be alright with just a wheel alignment.

I hope you had you seat belt on... that passenger door is real hard after launching from the drivers seat.

Rear will likely need the control arm and bearing. If it is as pushed under as the front, you may have to seek some welding and fabrication skills to bring it back.

In most cars, the convertible models are a little tougher in the low frame and structure than the roofed counterparts. I hope your vert can survive this one.
Edited by MR1 Kingsbury, Jan 11 2017, 01:17 PM.

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

The pictures suggest that the strut bolt shearing off helped to absorb most of the crash energy. The control arm may need to be changed if the ball joint was damaged when the wheel took the hit.

Good luck. Btw I have learned the hard way that the risk of sliding into curbs in snow can be minimized by trying to steer without braking if possible around the hazard

MarkZ28

Wouldnt be surprised if the cv axle wasnt damaged.

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

MarkZ28
Jan 11 2017, 01:45 PM
Wouldnt be surprised if the cv axle wasnt damaged.
Mark, I think you meant to say you wouldn't be surprised if the cv axle was damaged.

:thumb

DesireeD
Fresh Fish
[ * ]
Thank you all for your help. I was wearing a seat belt and no other damage was done, all things considered I got off lucky. I will report back after I've found parts and started fixing. My son in law is coming for a 10 day visit and wants to lend a hand, so hopefully she will be on the road soon. Everyone loves my Barbie dream car.

sphenicie

All y'all be lucky an shhhh, dat bo be rippn' free, juss sayn

MarkZ28

Oops, lol. Yes, meant to say it was broken.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Suspension/Steering/Alignment · Next Topic »
Add Reply