Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Down-shifting 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st issues; 5 speed Gear Shift Adjustments... Tips and Tricks
Topic Started: Jan 11 2017, 12:56 PM (116 Views)
Jim R Caretaker
Member Avatar
Is this thing on...
[ *  *  *  * ]
I just add to my fleet a 1994 Geo Metro 5 Door Hatch... 3 bangs (G10) 5al speed

My issue is this, down-shifting to 2nd and 1st. I have to come to a complete stop. Any Ideals?

Also: not really grinding any gears... just will not get in there.

I have a book, but the section on the gear shift adjustment is short. Any tips or trick before I dig in.

Thanks in advance.

I love my et.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

geo4thewin
Member Avatar

I am sure the answers that say you should never downshift into 1st or 2nd unless completely stopped are coming :rasp , but I am just going to reply with a useful answer since sometimes when you roll up to a stoplight the light will change to green and you have to get going. For my car, I never go to first unless I am stopped, instead I will double clutch push the shifter up towards 1st(just slightly applying pressure forward) and then it will slide back into 2nd, but it will eventually kill the gear and you will be looking at a transmission rebuild or a new transmission (ask me how I know :whistle ), I am just letting you know my tip/trick that you asked for. :cheers

MR1 Kingsbury
Member Avatar
Exp. builder/rebuilder

geo4thewin
Jan 11 2017, 02:12 PM
I am sure the answers that say you should never downshift into 1st or 2nd unless completely stopped are coming :rasp , but I am just going to reply with a useful answer since sometimes when you roll up to a stoplight the light will change to green and you have to get going. For my car, I never go to first unless I am stopped, instead I will double clutch push the shifter up towards 1st(just slightly applying pressure forward) and then it will slide back into 2nd, but it will eventually kill the gear and you will be looking at a transmission rebuild or a new transmission (ask me how I know :whistle ), I am just letting you know my tip/trick that you asked for. :cheers
good posting, and all true.... the synchronizer for 2nd and 1st are both gone.... the only answer to fitting 2nd gear without full stop is to match engine speed with vehicle speed for that gear.... 2nd gear and idle speed should match very close to 15 mph... someone else with have the exact velocity and tach match.
Do you have a tachometer? very useful in gathering engine/trans data.

If you are anywhere near central PA, there is guy with much experience and reliability that can rebuild it cheaper than any brick and mortar shop.

t3ragtop
Member Avatar
Turbo3 and Twincam Tweaker

i'd recommend an immediate transmission flush and fill with pennzoil syncromesh from auto zone. you might get more miles of use out of that transmission.

i learned to drive in vintage british cars with coffee grinders for gear boxes so i never downshift to first until the car is at rest. ;)

if you drive slow enough to be in first gear you may as well just park it and walk! :P

Mr_Coffee
[ *  *  * ]
Sounds like a serious problem with the gearbox. I downshift from 3rd to 2nd all the time when approaching a turn where coming to a complete stop is not possible. All I get is a feel or sound of a slight meshing, but that's it. This is at maybe 25 mph or less. You got to figure if your going uphill and start to lose speed, you have to downshift while still rolling right?...coming to a stop in that case is not an option.

Going from 2nd to first a different story altogether. Probly should not be going more than 5 mph, or else your gonna grind badly.

I'm sure there are recommended downshift speeds for these cars. Someone chime in they know what they are.
Edited by Mr_Coffee, Jan 11 2017, 07:25 PM.

Woodie
Member Avatar

geo4thewin
Jan 11 2017, 02:12 PM
I am sure the answers that say you should never downshift into 1st or 2nd unless completely stopped are coming :rasp
No one has ever said that.

If the car is moving you don't need first gear, and you probably need second a lot less often than you think. At least wait until the car is going as slow as possible before going for second. Certainly get some Synchromesh in there, sometimes it helps. Learn to double clutch, that's the way every downshift was done up until the 60's.

This question is asked once a month and we've been here for seven years. Read through the old posts.

geo4thewin
Member Avatar

:rasp = sarcasm :thumb

Jim R Caretaker
Member Avatar
Is this thing on...
[ *  *  *  * ]
So looking under my car I found that the exhaust is in the way. The shifter rubs on the exhaust pipe. Bolts have work loose some how and gone, shifter not even connected to car. Kinda dangling there.

Thanks guy for all the comments. I think I got this... I just like to do a little research before plunging into these projects, just in case.

"Never know what you don't know"

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Transmission/Clutch/Axles · Next Topic »
Add Reply