Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Saved a 97 Chevy / Geo LSi
Topic Started: Mar 7 2017, 12:36 PM (247 Views)
Azhule
[ *  * ]
Long poster... but you will all get used to it... or learn to use the scroll/ignore buttons :rofl

Well, the sister in law was about to scrap her old car due to several issues and no longer needing it (bought a newer jeep)... it is a 1997 "Chevy / Geo" Metro LSi, 4 doors, with the dreaded 1.3L 4 cylinder, 3 speed auto combo ( :'( )...

The main problems it had : "missing" air filter wing nut, hard starting in the cold and really bad hesitation/bogging problems before accelerating, on top of a rusted out exhaust system, a burnt out brake light, noisy/creaking doors, hazed headlights, Autolight Copper Spark Plugs, dirty electrical connections, frayed battery ground wires... you all get the point

I offered her some cash and she accepted...

Got the car and added some of my favorite "Snake Oils" to various parts of the cars fluids... the correct amount of Schaeffer Neutra 131 went into the engine and transmission oil (1oz per quart of oil to "Purge/Clean the system"), and ~9oz of Renewable Lubricants Bio-Plus Fuel System Cleaner was added to the gas tank (~1/4 tank of gas displayed on the gauge)... went to the nearest Top Tier gas station and filled it up with 6.10 gallons of regular 85 (AKI) fuel... and then drove the car to pop's shop to finish the easy clean-up work with the BG tools I have collected over the years...

Get to the shop and take the air filter and housing off the car and set it to the side, fill the BG Canister up with the proper mixture of AC Delco X66P cleaner, hook up the BG Canister up to shop air (~65 psi), start the car and set the idle to ~2,000 RPMs, aim the BG S-Tool Atomizer at the center of the throttle plate, open the valve on the Canister and run until the canister is empty... takes about 15 to 20 minutes to empty 16oz of cleaner from the BG Canister and S-Tool Atomizer set-up.

BG Canister

Posted Image

BG Atomizer tool

Posted Image

After it runs dry, shut the car off and let sit at least 30 minutes but no longer than 2 hours... during this time, clean up any excess pools of liquids above the throttle body (if any, it does happen from time to time...) and put the air filter and housing back on... after about 1.5 hours I started the car and drove it around until the dark black smoke stopped.

You will notice I say black smoke, it's no pale oil "SeaFoam White Smoke Show" here... just black smoke from carbon and other nasties being expelled from the system...

And what do you know?!?... no more bogging/hesitation issues... and the car will get up and go over 65 miles per hour 1,000x faster now... before it was like a gummed up/rich running carby... you hit the gas it would feel like it bog down/flooded the engine, it would bog, hesitate, stumble, trip, fall, gasp for air, almost die, then half heartily accelerate while bucking a bit :lol ... after the cleaners did their magic, now the animal just wants to GO! GO!! GO!!!

Cleaned the Throttle body, intake plenum, valves, piston, combustion cambers, and every other nook and cranny the engine from any gum/varnish/carbon/soot build up it had in one easy step... no wonder it runs so much better, with 158,000 miles on the clock and it was probably the first time the engine was properly cleaned... automotive manufacturers recommend similar types of cleaning every 10,000 to 15,000 miles depending on the manufacturer and engine design... I used to work at a Stealership... only reason I know about these tools and cleaners :P

I then go onto other easy things like the noisy doors (B'laster garage door lube helped a lot), clean up electrical connections, new brake lights, and also start hitting the frame with a hammer to adjust the passenger side headlight (it was pointing UP and towards traffic... looks like it was poorly fixed after a fender bender) and as I'm smacking things... I hear something cling, clang, and fall on the ground... well what do you know... it's the Air Filter Wing Nut! It appeared from behind the headlight mounting bracket thingy I was banging on with a hammer :rocker

Both headlights are cleaned up, UV sealed, and aligned properly now, no more blinding oncoming traffic while driving... now that all the cheap/free fixes are over... I had to order what I could afford of the old rusted out exhaust... got the front down pipe/catalytic converter on the way... trying my best to find the one piece Bosal Muffler system in my area (northern Colorado, southern Wyoming area) but so far all attempts to get a Bosal muff have been useless

Can't wait to get the exhaust system done so I can drive the car around without going deaf, then it's time to save up and find a JY/PP around here with the 5 speed manual to swap in :drivin

Thanks for having this forum... it has helped me several times already... of all the cars I worked on over the years while working at the Stealership, not a one was a Metro :cheers
Edited by Azhule, Mar 7 2017, 12:37 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MarkZ28

Berrymans carb cleaner in a can works better than Seafoam for cheaper. Best stuff I used was GM Topend Cleaner, stiff was awesome. Heard they stopped making it or changed it due to some smog bs.

Azhule
[ *  * ]
They didn't stop making it... it's was changed to a liquid in a bottle and usually has the "AC Delco" label on it (AC Delco X66P or GM 88861803)... it's the same cleaner I was talking about above just no longer in a Foaming Spray/Canned Version anymore (if that's the version you used to use) :cheers

Posted Image

MarkZ28

No, this was in a pour type can, blue can if I remember right. This was the late 90's or early 2000's.

mt999999
Member Avatar
Self-Declared "Genious"

Wow, welcome to the forum... cool car! :)

brsja
Member Avatar

Hi

Murf 59
Member Avatar

Welcome to the forum

Johnny Mullet
Member Avatar
Fear the Mullet

Thanks for joining up!

Turbo Dan-O
Member Avatar
Obsessive Car Detailer

Welcome!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Azhule
[ *  * ]
Thanks for stopping by and saying Hi everyone.

Quick update on the car

Got the Magnaflow Catalytic Converter late Friday... and the thing showed up dull in color (usually bright and shiny metal), with several rusted spots, bad flange welds, an unlabeled Catalyst (every one I have had so far proudly had "Magnaflow" stamped/printed all over their parts), and it came with no gaskets ("Gaskets Included" printed on the outside of the box...)

Went all the way to Advance Auto to get the "5 year defective item/replacement" for an exhaust I opened not even an hour before I show up to AA... I helped the driver unload it from the UPS truck too... well AA couldn't get another one ordered on their system... told me to wait until they can hear from Magnaflow... might be Monday by the latest...

Next day I get a call from a manager at AA... she said, "Just got off the phone with Magnaflow, they shipped you the last one they had direct from their factory, they have no idea if or when they will ever make more... we can get you a Walker if you like, it will cost you 189.99+ tax (I only paid 138 for the Magnaflow after coupon codes...) and an extra 7.99 to ship it to the store"... (I got free shipping to my house with "75$ or more oders").....

No I do not like that option of having to pay more for the "Walker" brand, while not getting my 50$ in coupon codes, and having to pay for shipping on top of the kick in the nads... not going to happen...

I really like how Magnaflow knowingly shipped me their LAST one... and never had plans to have a "5 year replacement" on hand... WTH!!! Would you at least check the last item to make sure it's perfect (and has gaskets) before you sell the last one??? "Nope, lets just hope we are selling it to a Install Shop and the customer will never actually see the part in their life"...

Soo I returned the Magnaflow to AA and promptly ordered a Bosal Catalyst and gaskets from Rock Auto...

Just can't believe what happened... over the years I have used Magnaflow, not once have I had a problem with them... always bright, shiny, beautiful looking parts... their muffler sound can be iffy depending on application... but never a problem with crap/dull looking metals, horrible welds, and rust spots... just junk!

Oh well... should have the car back on the road Fri or Sat depending on the weather and if they deliver on time

MPG

Interesting hearing about revamping your Metro and welcome to GMF

Azhule
[ *  * ]
Got the entire exhaust delivered on Saturday... but they shipped the gaskets separately... and by USPS on the back of the slowest Donkey from the looks things... going to be another 4 days until I see those gaskets :-/

Old exhaust was removed "easy as pie"...

I started with a dash of Kroil, then some Liquid Wrench Foaming Penetrating Oil, a squirt of ATF/Acetone, a little hiss worth of CRC Freeze Off, and finished it off with some PB'Laster soaking into the threads overnight... all the rusted exhaust nuts and bolts zipped right out without breaking one :D :wub: I'm sure everything was ready to be removed after the Kroil soak... but I wasn't taking any chances with the possibility of broken exhaust nuts/bolts so I soaked them with every kind of Penetrating Oil I had on hand :D

Had to settle for a Bosal Front Pipe/Catalytic Converter... a Walker mid pipe (eewww)... and the "better" SS Walker muffler (yuck... Walker exhaust parts....)... going to clean them up today and primer/paint them with high-heat exhaust paint... with the hopes of trying to keep them from rusting through anytime soon... also going to "Fog" the inside of the pipes to help prevent rusting from the inside out :lol

I still want to get new: (Bosch/Denso/NTK) 02 sensors, (Denso/NGK) Iridium spark plugs and (NGK/SMP) plug wires, (Airtex Wells/Bosch/SMP) distributor cap/rotor, (Gates/Stant) radiator and gas caps, (Wix) fuel filter, (Motorad) Thermostat and (Fel-pro) gasket, plus new brakes/rotors/pads/shoes/drums with fresh (Mag1) DOT4 brake fluid... then I will drive the car until I find a nice 5 speed manual to swap in place of the 3 speed auto :evillol

Can't wait to actually get to drive the car... my hearing is bad already and I didn't want to drive the car with basically an open header for the exhaust

:cheers

GeoStalker
Member Avatar
"Chicks dig me and guys think I'm cool."

mt999999
Mar 11 2017, 04:02 PM
Are you seeing something I can't see?? :dunno
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Azhule
[ *  * ]
GeoStalker
Mar 20 2017, 12:04 PM
mt999999
Nope, not missing anything... I don't have any pics of the car up because I don't have a way to post pics on this site (and I'm probably not going to sign up to a photo sharing site either)... I'm used to being on forums that give the space for pics...

Guess it's time to use your "Imagination" on how "cool" the car really is :whistle (right now... it's a pile of :shit I'm polishing into a ruby) :lol

mt999999
Member Avatar
Self-Declared "Genious"

GeoStalker
Mar 20 2017, 12:04 PM
mt999999
Let me re-phrase... "Cool sounding car"... :lol

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Introductions · Next Topic »
Add Reply