Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Posted ImageWelcome to the all new Geo Metro Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are features you can't use and images you can't see. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
common negative OR common positive?; installing after market intermittent wiper
Topic Started: Mar 16 2017, 08:53 PM (569 Views)
charlo
[ *  * ]
Hello!

I have a 1997 Geo Metro - just 'broke in' at 302,000 miles and change. :-)

I want to install an after market intermittent wiper delay switch on my windshield wipers.
It is a STABOKAS brand, and comes with wiring instructions for both "common positive" and "common negative" wiring systems.
I've downloaded a wiring diagram for a '97 Suzuki Swift (assumed to be the same as a Geo), and have attempted to cross-reference it with the two diagrams that came with the aftermarket delay.
Unfortunately, the Suzuki wiring diagram is for a car with a factory combo switch AND intermittent controller ... which my Geo does not have.
After attempting to figure this out on my own accord, I still cannot ascertain if I'm working with a "common negative" or a "common positive" system on my Geo. This is assuming, on my part, this is a different scenario than the Geo being a negative ground battery.

Any help would surely be appreciated! I'm excited to have found this community.

Thank you!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Moringa
Member Avatar
Living BOT

I've never heard the term "common" with pos or neg. I googled STABOKAS, and got plenty of Starbucks links, but only found your product for sale, no informational instructions. Nothing on youtube either. I would hate to say that you can ASSUME you are working with common negative, and be wrong. This is what I would THINK they are talking about, but it looks like your product is not made in the US, which could be part of the terminology problem. Don't hold this to me, but if you hook it up with THIS in mind, it should work, if it's going to,, in my opinion.
Edited by Moringa, Mar 16 2017, 09:43 PM.

MR1 Kingsbury
Member Avatar
Exp. builder/rebuilder

There are some early vehicles as I recall that had a positive ground system. I suspect maybe that's what the instruction is referring to. Haven't thought about that in years but I do recall some Jaguars or early Triumphs had a positive ground system.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Moringa
Member Avatar
Living BOT

Haven't thought about that in years but I do recall some Jaguars or early Triumphs had a positive ground system.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
How bout the six volt systems of yesteryear? My dad, who had problems with simple things, once tried to install a battery in our 61 Chevy, which had a generator. He got it in backwards, and the external voltage regulator clacked like crazy, when he turned the key. Fortunately, in days without PCMs, he just flipped it around, and repolarized the voltage regulator, and that was it. Ran fine, without any major damage.

1993XFI

My 1951 Nash Rambler Airflyte convertible has a positive ground system. It has a 6 volt battery also.
https://postimg.org/image/pjwpwk4jf/

suzukitom
Member Avatar
Tom

The term Common refers to the ground path in an electrical circuit.. A 'common' can be positive or negative. Pre-60's english cars with generators sometimes had positive ground systems. Some claim this had anti corrosion benefits but I don't believe it.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Moringa
Member Avatar
Living BOT

My 1951 Nash Rambler Airflyte convertible has a positive ground system. It has a 6 volt battery also.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Nice, I'll bet that's worth a few greenbacks!

1993XFI

Moringa
Mar 16 2017, 11:09 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Nice, I'll bet that's worth a few greenbacks!
Not really worth a lot but this car is actually 1 of 362 Rambler prototypes made in El Segundo California. Car 345 0f 362. Production Rambler Nash built 12,000 cars like it in 1951. Nash's where produced in Kenosha Wisconsin. I purchased this car in 1990 in California. This is my favorite car I have ever owned and still is number one for me all these years later.
https://postimg.org/image/q8hvhwrn5/
Edited by 1993XFI, Mar 17 2017, 06:29 AM.

geogonfa
Member Avatar

Just my .02...GEO's/SUZUKI's work on common ground set up, but, they like to have power to most accessories at all times and have the switches flipped to connect the accessories to a ground to complete the circuit...in your case you need to find the blue wire coming from the switch to hook the delay in-line, so when you turn the wiper on low you can set your delay...can you post the instructions you have...this will help us figure out which wires go where... :type

Moringa
Member Avatar
Living BOT

This is my favorite car I have ever owned and still is number one for me all these years later.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I'm not much of a nostalgia person. For a long time, my 2 favorite cars were the Studebaker Avanti, and the 69 Z28 Camaro. I never got close to getting either, but the SECRET vehicle I have now, is a reasonable facsimile. I hate to say this, but in your pic, I was more interested in the 2 Corvettes in the background. Some manipulating with Photoshop, could fix that. :rofl

charlo
[ *  * ]
Many thanks to all of you have responded to my query!
geogonfa suggested that I post some of the instructional data - an excellent idea!
I'm not at all an 'electrical guy,' but sure am determined to do this and have the luxury of intermittent delay wipers. :-)
Yes, I do understand that the delay works off the low speed circuit (the blue wire off the wiper motor).
To add to the confusion, the delay manufacturer has included an "alternative configuration." ;-)

Also, does anyone know what the "LW" indicates on the wiring diagrams?
Please disregard the 'scribbling' on the diagrams - that's me attempting to decipher.
Again, many thanks to all and this great forum.
Edited by charlo, Mar 18 2017, 01:32 AM.

t3ragtop
Member Avatar
Turbo3 and Twincam Tweaker

in 1980 i bought my very first brand new car, a chevy monza, and one of the first things i did for it was to build my own intermittent wiper control.

even that long ago i can still remember the pitfalls.

the wiper motor has a built in parking switch so that the when power is cut the wipers will go through a complete cycle and park in the appropriate position. you will notice that when you switch off the wipers, even if they are in the middle of the stroke they continue to run until the motor hits the park switch.

this means that there is a live power wire to the motor. then there is a control wire to activate the wipers. the motor itself has forward windings that are powered for high speed. it also has reverse windings that are applied at low speed that actually buck, or work against the high speed windings to get the wipers to run slower.

so, you don't want to insert the controller into the live power wire or the wipers will shut down in mid stroke. you don't want the controller to connect between either the high speed or low speed power wires, either. you want the controller to connect into the wire that turns the wiper on and off.

you also don't want to adjust the trim potentiometer that times the cycle duration any lower than the time it takes for a complete transverse of the wipers plus the time to park the wipers.

connection will take some discernment of the wiring and the operation timing. ;)

typically, the accepted mod for intermittent wipers is to swap the controls to an lsi wiper switch of one from a later model suzuki that has multiple selection positions. you will find several threads on those mods.

Mythstae
Member Avatar

t3ragtop
Mar 17 2017, 05:03 PM
typically, the accepted mod for intermittent wipers is to swap the controls to an lsi wiper switch of one from a later model suzuki that has multiple selection positions. you will find several threads on those mods.
It's not even an LSI thing, the variable intermittent wipers are in literally every Esteem I have ever seen.

http://geometroforum.com/topic/5333018/1/

charlo
[ *  * ]
Posted Image

Many thanks to all of you have responded to my query!
geogonfa suggested that I post some of the instructional data - an excellent idea!
I'm not at all an 'electrical guy,' but sure am determined to do this and have the luxury of intermittent delay wipers. :-)
Yes, I do understand that the delay works off the low speed circuit (the blue wire off the wiper motor).
To add to the confusion, the delay manufacturer has included an "alternative configuration." ;-)

Also, does anyone know what the "LW" indicates on the wiring diagrams?
Please disregard the 'scribbling' on the diagrams - that's me attempting to decipher.
Again, many thanks to all and this great forum.
Edited by charlo, Mar 18 2017, 01:54 AM.

charlo
[ *  * ]
I apologize for the duplicate posts. I attempted to post pics of the intermittent delay instructions and wiring diagrams using photobucket - but to no avail.
Your feedback has been great ... I will give this another shot and see what happens. Perhaps do the Lsi thing! ;-)
Charlo

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Electrical Systems · Next Topic »
Add Reply